Error code

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi all, have just taken bike back to dealer, error code showing motor stall, warranty expiries in 2 months so wanted to get sorted.
Mechanic called can’t find a fault but they don’t have any software diagnosis machine he has just been turning it on and off numerous times. Is this acceptable or would you question there methods?
many thanks Brian

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hi all, have just taken bike back to dealer, error code showing motor stall, warranty expiries in 2 months so wanted to get sorted.
Mechanic called can’t find a fault but they don’t have any software diagnosis machine he has just been turning it on and off numerous times. Is this acceptable or would you question there methods?
many thanks Brian
It is pathetic and almost useless.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Diagnostics needed if a mid drive closed system, imv if they don't have the diagnostics they shouldn't be selling them. It will need sorting before the warranty is up so another dealer with the ability and get the shop to pay for it if a charge is made.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Diagnostics needed if a mid drive closed system, imv if they don't have the diagnostics they shouldn't be selling them. It will need sorting before the warranty is up so another dealer with the ability and get the shop to pay for it if a charge is made.
Thanks to reply’s, it’s a rear hub drive, but I am concerned that it will happen after warranty.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it is a hub motor then most lbs will not have clue how to diagnose.
Motor stall is over current/torque overload to the hub and can cause winding failure if it is prolonged, over current manifests it self as excess heat.
Under what circumstances did this occur ?

If you find the hub has lost power or feels gutless then it is has been cooked.

Has the error code cleared ?

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It is pathetic and almost useless.
I agree.
My tip is to talk to a friendly lawyer, and get him to draft a letter, requiring imminent fix or money back.
You may even be able to write such a letter yourself, and get it delivered with recorded delivery where the recipient must sign for it, a possible cheaper alternative, though here, they would still have to pay the lawyer's cost.
I cannot say what the UK allows, sorry!
regards
Andy

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
If it is a hub motor then most lbs will not have clue how to diagnose.
Motor stall is over current/torque overload to the hub and can cause winding failure if it is prolonged, over current manifests it self as excess heat.
Under what circumstances did this occur ?

If you find the hub has lost power or feels gutless then it is has been cooked.

Has the error code cleared ?
Hi nealh, this occurred after short rest, turned battery switch on the turned power on with control button. Error code came on then after 20 seconds ish. went off. Performed ok again,
Thanks for your info

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi nealh, this occurred after short rest, turned battery switch on the turned power on with control button. Error code came on then after 20 seconds ish. went off. Performed ok again,
Thanks for your info
They are going to replace the controller, I have no knowledge if it’s the correct thing to do or not, they have a new wheel and motor but have said it must be the controller, any thoughts welcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller is the brains of the bike and controls the current delivery so that is likely the place to look, the motor only takes what the controller can give.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Just got bike back from dealer, new controller/motor and display replaced. Noticed speed setting 20.5 Km/h. Which is only 12.5 mph any thoughts thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us the display and buttons, one should be able to enter settings to change basics like speed and wheel size.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you have to hold a pair of buttons to get in to the menus ?

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
To follow up on this saga, having been in touch with dealer their response is having looked at a display in the shop it also show’s 20.5 km/h.
they have ride it on full assist and say it assist up to 15.5 mph. So mine is correct. I am now totally at a loss what to do. Help needed.