Eskute voyager

Lemonjuicees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2021
Hi, so I recently bought an Eskute Voyager.

I'm wondering if I would be able to change the controller and display while keeping the motor?

I think my display is a kd21c.
Also were do I look about increasing the speed? I use this bike on private land so looking to get a bit more speed rather than sitting at 15mph.

Thankyou

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In principle, you can use any controller with its matching LCD. Upgrading to a KT one will make your bike much nicer to ride. You'll have to do a bit of wiring and probably some soldering to wires.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Hi, so I recently bought an Eskute Voyager.

I'm wondering if I would be able to change the controller and display while keeping the motor?

I think my display is a kd21c.
Also were do I look about increasing the speed? I use this bike on private land so looking to get a bit more speed rather than sitting at 15mph.

Thankyou
What did you think of the bike?

I was looking at those earlier before I bought my conversion. They look like a fair bit for the money. Obviously, you have some issues or you wouldn't be changing the controller....

Lemonjuicees

Aug 11, 2021
What did you think of the bike?

I was looking at those earlier before I bought my conversion. They look like a fair bit for the money. Obviously, you have some issues or you wouldn't be changing the controller....
To be honest it's a really nice bike, I just want a bit more power. The battery is really impressive!
Just a shame with the 250w motor

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To be honest it's a really nice bike, I just want a bit more power. The battery is really impressive!
Just a shame with the 250w motor
250w motors are very strong and will give all the power you need. It's the controller that decides how much power it gets and converts into motive power.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for the info. Keep us posted on how your conversion goes. They are quite low cost. I also looked at the Wayfarer. In some ways that would suit me in its style, with mudguards and lights fitted, and though I ride on tracks, I am not a rough trail rider. The problem with that one is that the battery is of lower capacity and the 36 volt system is probably less peppy than the 48 volt one. If the controller can be changed easily, that might not be an issue, if the bigger 48 volt battery can also be swapped in. The batteries are not particularly expensive I think.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Wayfarer doesn't use 36v but is a 40v/11s or 44 v/12s system so has a bit more pep then 36v.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The Wayfarer doesn't use 36v but is a 40v/11s or 44 v/12s system so has a bit more pep then 36v.
I think Tony1951 may be referring to the Eskute Wayfarer, which is 36v.

I've seen a few youtube reviews which suggest the OP's Eskute Voyager is a 48v system, but Eskute's own website product page says it's 36v?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah ok, we are talking of two differing bikes then with the same model name.

Reactions: Tony1951

Lemonjuicees

Aug 11, 2021
250w motors are very strong and will give all the power you need. It's the controller that decides how much power it gets and converts into motive power.
Hi, yeah this is the controller it currently has. What would you recommend? I am happy with the 250w hub
I'm just not sure we're to start with controllers and displays

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yeah sorry, it's called am Eskute voyager Senior if that helps?

My battery is in the attached file. 36v with 12.5ah capacity 450w power!
It's a dual voltage controller, one will find that the bike runs better at 48v with 30% more power then 36v using the same control system.
Changing the controller/display to 20a with the 36v battery will give it 25% more power, if capable one can try a shunt mod if the controller has the U shaped wire shunt this can also give up to 30% more power though the controller may run a bit warmer.

The shunt determines the resistance of current and one can add solder to one leg of the shunt to a sensible 25% of its length to gain a more current/power.
At the opposite end of the controller with no wiring undo the end plate and look to see if there is a U shaped wire copper object (this is the shunt), if one is careful solder can be applied up the leg of one side to change the resistance.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There's some major level of deception going on here. The OP says:
To be honest it's a really nice bike, I just want a bit more power.
And Neal comments:
...one will find that the bike runs better at 48v with 30% more power then 36v using the same control system.
Yet the Eskute Voyager e-bikes the reviewers were supplied are 48 volt systems, for example:

And Eskute's own phoney blog-post HERE clearly states:

"This particular series, the Voyager, is intended to do more than the Wayfarer, another e-bike of their current line. With a more powerful battery at 48 V and 10Ah totaling 480 Wh, the barrier of 100 km (62 miles) is visible. But of course, if there is a slight chance of modifying the speed limit, you'll be left with a lot less in the tank."

And yet, if you buy one, you get:
My battery is in the attached file. 36v with 12.5ah capacity 450w power!
Is it surprising that @Lemonjuicees is disappointed when - if you buy one - it's a cheapened 36 volt version that will have 30% LESS PERFORMANCE than the review e-bikes that were supplied specifically to promote this product?

It seems like a deliberate deception to me.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The current advert on the Eskute website lists the battery as 36V 12.5AH and 450 watt hours.

The spec has changed from the initial release of the model.

There is no deception in making a change to product if it is currently advertised with the actual specs you are supplying.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The current advert on the Eskute website lists the battery as 36V 12.5AH and 450 watt hours.

The spec has changed from the initial release of the model.

There is no deception in making a change to product if it is currently advertised with the actual specs you are supplying.
Sorry, but that's just plain b0ll0cks. People look at the reviews, and among many factors considered, comment specifically on the above average torque available from the 48v system. Many will be swayed by such an advantage.

The product page does now state 36 volt 12.5AH, but the charger spec is still listed as a 56 volt charger... and the Voyager spare battery is listed as a 48 volt battery HERE.

If there is to be a major change that is to affect performance to that degree, such a change would need to be emphasised to allow the buyer to make a reasoned judgement. The ASA would certainly have a problem here.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You seem quite angry, with angry language. I'll leave you to it.
Having worked in advertising, I know the rules. This is a clear breach in my view. You cannot promote a new product and sell a lesser one in its place.

For example, what if BMW launched and promoted a new car - lets call it a BMW Voyager model, with a powerful V6 4-litre engine, supplied en-mass to the press for free to review, and they were all reviewed very favourably commenting specifically on the available power.

Then buyers, swayed by these favourable reviews, placed an on-line order for the new BMW Voyager only to discover that when delivered, they had a wimpy 2-litre 4-cylinder engine instead?

That's deception in anybody's book.

Even you were duped. In post #6 you say:

The problem with that one [referring to the Eskute Wayfarer] is that the battery is of lower capacity and the 36 volt system is probably less peppy than the 48 volt one [of the Eskute Voyager].
Clearly, the Voyager is being supplied as a 36-volt system, NOT as a more powerful 48-volt as it's been promoted.

If I were the OP, I'd send it back.

Last edited:

Templar 616

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2022
Hi
Hi, yeah this is the controller it currently has. What would you recommend? I am happy with the 250w hub
I'm just not sure we're to start with controllers and displays
Hi , your bike has the standard '250' watt ' recipe' of 36 volts with a 15amp max controller so a theoretical 540watts. The Bafang motor fitted is also only entry level with a stated torque of 32nm. As Nealh said above changing the controller and display to a 20amp item would give you another 25% power up to 720watts peak.

Lemonjuicees

Aug 11, 2021
Hi

Hi , your bike has the standard '250' watt ' recipe' of 36 volts with a 15amp max controller so a theoretical 540watts. The Bafang motor fitted is also only entry level with a stated torque of 32nm. As Nealh said above changing the controller and display to a 20amp item would give you another 25% power up to 720watts peak.

Sorry for the late reply, life!

Would there be any recommendations you can give?
I also spoke to Eskute to enquire about the 48v battery and they say it's not possible with my bike and told me I need to buy the new one they are offering

I don't mind the bike and I enjoy it, I just want to give it a bit more umph as I use it a lot off-road and on private land so just want to get the most out of it

I'm trying to determine what motor to get that fits too!

I also have tried to find an alternative battery so I don't have to go to Eskute themselves because they are just dreadful and communication is abysmal