Eskute voyager

Lemonjuicees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2021
Sorry, but that's just plain b0ll0cks. People look at the reviews, and among many factors considered, comment specifically on the above average torque available from the 48v system. Many will be swayed by such an advantage.

The product page does now state 36 volt 12.5AH, but the charger spec is still listed as a 56 volt charger... and the Voyager spare battery is listed as a 48 volt battery HERE.

If there is to be a major change that is to affect performance to that degree, such a change would need to be emphasised to allow the buyer to make a reasoned judgement. The ASA would certainly have a problem here.

Well, i received a 36v battery and when asked if i can put the 48v battery in they said i can not as the new model can only support it but its utter bull as the controller in the bike is a 36v/48v controller.
The company is a joke and always leave it in the dark when new batteries are coming into stock.

Lemonjuicees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2021
It's a dual voltage controller, one will find that the bike runs better at 48v with 30% more power then 36v using the same control system.
Changing the controller/display to 20a with the 36v battery will give it 25% more power, if capable one can try a shunt mod if the controller has the U shaped wire shunt this can also give up to 30% more power though the controller may run a bit warmer.

The shunt determines the resistance of current and one can add solder to one leg of the shunt to a sensible 25% of its length to gain a more current/power.
At the opposite end of the controller with no wiring undo the end plate and look to see if there is a U shaped wire copper object (this is the shunt), if one is careful solder can be applied up the leg of one side to change the resistance.

Is there any controllers/displays at 20A you recommend?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Well, i received a 36v battery and when asked if i can put the 48v battery in they said i can not as the new model can only support it but its utter bull as the controller in the bike is a 36v/48v controller.
The company is a joke and always leave it in the dark when new batteries are coming into stock.
I said my piece at the time you bought it.

The bike when newly launched was heavily promoted as a 48v system. All the reviews (in the press and on YT etc) raved about the power available, and that was especially heavily praised given the low cost of the bike. Given Eskute was a completely unknown brand at that time, they used the common method of supplying bikes for free to the press and "influencers" in exchange for their favourable reviews... but these were 48v bikes.

But what you actually got was a 36v system, which is nothing like the bike being promoted - on both their own website at the time and the many independent reviews, all made ( AFAIKS) using these 48v version bikes. Given this is a direct to consumer product, Distance Selling rules apply given you had no opportunity to visit a retailer to first examine, question, and test out the product for yourself.

You should have sent it back. Or if you're wealthy, had the time, and could be bothered on principle, sued the backside off them for false advertising. If you'd received a 48v system bike as promoted, I don't believe you'd be here now still complaining about the lack of power.

As for new batteries, that's an argument I do believe. I am myself awaiting supply of a new replacement battery. Some cells are in extremely short supply for a number of reasons, and many bike manufacturers are having trouble sourcing new stock.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Open the controller box, unscrew the end which is blank. Look in side and see if one can see a large capacitor, if it says 50v then no one can't use 48v battery but if it says 63v you should be ok. The fact it says 36v/48v means it is a dual voltage controller just like the KT's which are labelled the same.
Before wasting money or buying a new controller kit do the investigation of the controller inners and if 63v then hook up a 48v battery, if works then all good. The most that can happen is magic smoke will appear form the controller and blow some capacitors.
For 48v battery all one needs is at least 20a or 25a continuous rating the latter would be better. Ebay, Aliexpress, yose power, pswpower, risunuk or eclipse bikes are a good start, just check the specs of the battery before buying and it says 25a continuous not peak rating.

If after buying the battery, if one wants a new controller kit either because the controller does smoke or the speed doesn't increase then we can suggest one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need to see a pic of the battery in case it is a special case or a integrated type battery before suggesting one.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Having worked in advertising, I know the rules. This is a clear breach in my view. You cannot promote a new product and sell a lesser one in its place.

For example, what if BMW launched and promoted a new car - lets call it a BMW Voyager model, with a powerful V6 4-litre engine, supplied en-mass to the press for free to review, and they were all reviewed very favourably commenting specifically on the available power.

Then buyers, swayed by these favourable reviews, placed an on-line order for the new BMW Voyager only to discover that when delivered, they had a wimpy 2-litre 4-cylinder engine instead?

That's deception in anybody's book.

Even you were duped. In post #6 you say:

Clearly, the Voyager is being supplied as a 36-volt system, NOT as a more powerful 48-volt as it's been promoted.

If I were the OP, I'd send it back.
I was looking at the Voyager back around last June and then it had a 48 volt battery. I feel pretty sure that is correct. and that they have changed the spec from the original.

In the end, I didn't get it because the supply was short and waiting times were unpredictable.