Etech Motion ebikes

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Slightly misleading. Ranges are dependent on the rider weight,inc clothing, and luggage. The tye of weather, the terrain.
So the range is calculated using a lightweight rider wearing minimum clothing,
on very smooth,very flat ground without so much as an incline and not a breath of wind and on the lowest assistance setting.
In reality the riders is going to be average to heavier weight, the ground undulating to pot holey, probably carrying a bag, maybe a bit of shopping. and given most countries have hills, thats going to impact significantly on the range.

Yep, Mirider quote a 50 mile range, to get that you have to ride on flat ground at moderate speed in assist level 1 (from 5)
Ridden more enthusiastically l can rinse the battery in 1/4 that distance, although with a little care l can manage 16-18 miles

Kona quote "up to 60 miles" range on my E8000 equipped mountain bike but l've never got near that, even on the road, in real world mixed on/off road riding l am lucky to see half that figure.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
your shimano motor is not 250w otherwise it whould be useless at climbing hills ect the power and speed limit is 15mph and 250w at that speed.

under 15mph the motor can use as much power as it likes and depending on motor can be 900-1000w with a 20a controller thats in my bosch bike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one uses a correct wound hub (rpm wise) one will find give it 20a and it will do a very good job at climbing.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l thought they were all limited to 250w l've clearly still got a lot to learn about ebikes!

l have to say that on full power the Shimano motor definitely has more power than the hub drive one. I was using the Shimano on "eco" as l thought it was a fairer comparison.

ls it 250w continuous and more for short periods such as accelerating?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All this talk of 20A is making me itch - I'm sooo tempted once again to up my amps from 15 to 20 on my Bafang bbs01b using the programming cable, but I really don't have any need to... and I haven't installed the breadboard and Kapton tape to the battery yet (both arrived in the post some time ago), to protect a wire from overhot looking nickel strips.

Last edited:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l won't modify mine as the Shimano
motors can fail, and can't be repaired apparently, and l don't want to increase the chances of failure.

Not sure about the hub drive ones, someone will be able to advise l am sure.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Kona quote "up to 60 miles" range on my E8000 equipped mountain bike but l've never got near that, even on the road, in real world mixed on/off road riding l am lucky to see half that figure.
Emtb Kona's are 504wh, which could explain the lower range. Hills and bumps do take their toll.

Which Kona ?. I wasnt aware they did anything at £8k

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not 8k.

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
Both Rad and Fiido sell direct to consumer; no dealer in the middle should equate to more bike. Rad ship to the UK from the EU. Fiido have a UK warehouse and have a few dealers who repair and support their bikes, but mostly Fiido will send parts direct to you and have a gallery of "how-to" repair videos. It's all pretty simple if you're comfortable with basic bike maintenance.

The issue(s) with the E1S as I see it is A) it's sold out, B) with a 400w motor, throttle, and 25mph, it's not UK road legal as the 250w E1 is. The small wheels won't ride as well as a Rad or T1, and it has no gears. If hauling weight up hills, having no gears might be a problem.
Yes the E1S is currently sold out, but your suggestions have negatives too, A)The Fiido T1 isn't available yet in the UK. B) The Rad takes 5 to 8 weeks to get to the UK from what I can tell. Also being legal isn't a negative for everyone, it can be a plus if you want the power and speed. But thanks for your suggestions.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Many of these "high end" ebikes cost £8,000 or more, which is a lot of money for a bicycle. You can buy a brand new car for £8,000 !!

Mine retailed at £5,600 but l paid £4,500 in 2021 because it was a NOS 2020

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
A)The Fiido T1 isn't available yet in the UK.
Yes, as I said in post #10 the Fiido T1 is due in the UK mid-May. That's just 3 weeks away, but they're taking pre-orders now, and the last 3 times Fiido did that with a new model they sold out within days.

Also being legal isn't a negative for everyone, it can be a plus if you want the power and speed.
I don't really understand you there. I'm not saying being legal is a negative. I'm saying riding any not-legal bike (like the E1S) is an issue to consider: You said you intend to carry garden equipment with panniers, top-box and a trailer too. If that's your work, being nabbed by plod might jeopardise your livelihood. It's a risk we all need to consider (2 of my own 3 e-bikes aren't strictly compliant with the law either).

Ja_T

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2018
Really strange design on the Cargo bike they going for a old school motorcycle drum brake wtf!
Hard to imagine that design as lightweight compared to modern bicycle disc brakes.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Just be aware of how heavy that cargo bike is, it's listed on their website at "net weight 36kg gross weight 45kg"
So you won't be lifting it into the back of a van so easily.
Won't be an issue so long as you don't need to lift it, or ride it without the motor assistance, although it quotes a massive 150km assisted range.