Evans Cycles for ebike service

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I bought a Pinnacle from Evans earlier in the year and have done around 500 miles so far. Apart from a clicking noise that occurs twice on each crank revolution when the pedals are under load, it’s a bike that does everything I want and I’ll hopefully be keeping it for a while.

So, my question is whether anybody has been foolish enough to use Evans for bike servicing ? Also, on their website they state that there’s a £50 charge for a technician to evaluate and recommend the level of service (bronze/silver/gold) the bike will need. Is that £50 in addition to the fees for the level of service ?

As usual, Evans Customer Services are MIA.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Learn to do your on maintenance, I have never yet had a bike in an LBS for any type of repair or service. But I'm old school and we use to strip and repair everything just because we can.

Reactions: AndyBike and PC2017

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
I bought a Pinnacle from Evans earlier in the year and have done around 500 miles so far. Apart from a clicking noise that occurs twice on each crank revolution when the pedals are under load, it’s a bike that does everything I want and I’ll hopefully be keeping it for a while.
Sounds like a pedal bearing, I usually swap Pedals from another bike to check and most of the time that’s where the noise is coming from. i’m like Nealh, do most of my own servicing, except when I buckled a wheel.

Mike

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From experience, I’d give Evans a wide berth.
Now Ashley has the control think akin to Halfords, but as mentioned might be best to give a wide berth. To charge £50 just to decide how much more you need to pay for a bike service is another easy money con, quite shoddy in my eyes.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
To charge £50 just to decide how much more you need to pay for a bike service
True - any LBS worth half their salt will scratch their chin a few times tell you what needs doing give you a ball park figure and if you walk in looking wealthy they can attempt an upsell. TBF I have never used Halfords and only recently got an Evans locally and my LBS uses easy rust parts, so I like Mike above, will fix all that I can and leave wheel truing to the LBS.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Sounds like a pedal bearing, I usually swap Pedals from another bike to check and most of the time that’s where the noise is coming from. i’m like Nealh, do most of my own servicing, except when I buckled a wheel.

Mike
I hoped it was going to be an easy fix so put new pedals on but unfortunately there was no improvement. I haven’t ridden a bike since I was 17 and am now 62 so things have moved on since I managed to cajole my old Puch pushbike into life - having a motor being one of them I guess. If only I could go back to 17 with a modern e-bike I’d probably be a proper fat bugger by now. Oh, hang on.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if it is that then id look at changing the bottom bracket bearings if it is not coming from the pedals or could be now a bit loose and clicking.

the bearings they use on these bikes is not to good in the first place but imo you could get a lbs to replace it for 20-30 quid.

if you want evens to just change that part it will be £1 per min for the labour and will need a 60 min slot plus any parts.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
A few years one of my bikes developed similar symptons.I swapped out pedals and bottom bracket,no joy.Turned out to be a seized link in the chain. Get yourself a new chain,cheap at £10 and easy to fit

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
A few years one of my bikes developed similar symptons.I swapped out pedals and bottom bracket,no joy.Turned out to be a seized link in the chain. Get yourself a new chain,cheap at £10 and easy to fit
That sounds like a plan. I’m hoping it’s not the bottom bearings as I’ve got a horrible feeling it’s stamped Bafang so probably contains something important for the pedal assist.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That sounds like a plan. I’m hoping it’s not the bottom bearings as I’ve got a horrible feeling it’s stamped Bafang so probably contains something important for the pedal assist.
Is it a TS BB with a hub motor ?

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Is it a TS BB with a hub motor ?
It is a Bafang hub motor and I’m pretty sure the bracket is marked Bafang as well but like a dummy, I forgot to take a picture when I went out earlier.

What I have discovered is that there’s play on whatever connects the two pedals. If I pull on the non-drive pedal arm it moves and pulls the drive side with it. I can’t budge the nuts that hold the arms onto the spindle so I guess they’re at the correct torque of 30nm which is what’s stamped on each side.

Is this fixable ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep a basic tool kit like that will cover most bike stuff and you will be quids in, esp if you don't mind tinkering.
Going back to your op, as with these operations they like to make money out of something sometimes for no reason.

A work mate took his boys bike in to Halfrauds and they estimated £200 + parts for this that and the other, tbh none of the parts were needed and just needed a competent person to service it. I did so and charged him £25 for an hour of my time.

Like you bike the BB mover laterally it didn't need a new one as told, I simply added some new grease to the bearings that rotated ok & tightened the BB up to remove the play.
Brakes needed a bit of adjustment but nothing major, brake blocks aligning and cable slack removed/tightening. Whilst at it I gave the axle cones a look at and some new grease and nipped them up.

He has grown out of the bike now but got another good two years use out of it and was pleased as punch because the brake adjustment meant he could show off with skidding.

The chain was rusty and again as it was only for a young boy so only needed some oiling.

All in my eyes basic stuff and stuff I used to do as a kid.

Last edited:

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Or given that you bought it this year I'd take proof of purchase to Evans and tell them to sort it out under the warranty. Once the warranty has run out then you should sort out most basic stuff yourself leaving the LBS to true wheels and mess with the Hydraulic brakes and Evans to sort out motor problems/electrics.

Incidentally. I bought my Cube from Evans and recently took it back to them to sort out a possible motor noise that turned out to be a knackered freehub. They cleared some error codes on the motor and updated the firmware for free. Like Halfords they have a mix of competent and incompetent mechanics, as well as reasonable vrs price gouging managers. Only you know which your local Evans is.

Darren

Reactions: Barnsleyrob

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks all. Good spot re the Aldi tool set - I’ll probably order that even if I have no idea what half of it does.

Having scoured YouTube this afternoon, I can’t find anything that addresses my particular symptoms of the axle/spindle moving from side to side. In fact it seems that it’s only me that’s seen it so I’m sort of resigned to having to haul it down to Evans.

Does anyone know how these Bafang hub motors detect pedal rotation ? Are the magnets part of the BB or somewhere else ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Usually if a cadence sensing PAS , it willon the BB will be a one piece integrated on the LHS or two piece pas set up with magnet disc and sensor. If a TS BB then none as all is incorporated within.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Usually if a cadence sensing PAS , it willon the BB will be a one piece integrated on the LHS or two piece pas set up with magnet disc and sensor. If a TS BB then none as all is incorporated within.
Thanks again. It’s cadence sensing PAS so I’m going to have to live in hope that Evans accepts the BB is at fault and can then order the part before they lose the rest of my bike.