Evora folding bike

damostuart

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2024
My Evora folding bike has just stopped working. It does not power up. Am advised the battery is good and it maybe a fault with the on off switch. Does anybody know where i can get this new switch from please57831

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Seeing as Bicycles4u don't exist anymore, you may find something similar on ebay/Ali that'll work. There are a few combined throttle/3-LED battery display/on-off switch assemblies there for scooters/ebikes. You'd first need to check and maybe change the wiring sequence with a bit of DIY/soldering though.

Reactions: damostuart

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My Evora folding bike has just stopped working. It does not power up. Am advised the battery is good and it maybe a fault with the on off switch. Does anybody know where i can get this new switch from pleaseView attachment 57831
When your bike doesn't work, you should never start buying random parts on a hunch. Get a meter and start testing. If that switch is faulty, it would take less than a minute to confirm, and it's very simple to override it .

The first thing you need to do is unplug the connector to that device and show us a photo.

damostuart

May 21, 2024
When your bike doesn't work, you should never start buying random parts on a hunch. Get a meter and start testing. If that switch is faulty, it would take less than a minute to confirm, and it's very simple to override it .

The first thing you need to do is unplug the connector to that device and show us a photo.
Thank you for your helpful reply i attach to photos The first one is from the switch the second is on the end of the loom wiring

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you for your helpful reply i attach to photos The first one is from the switch the second is on the end of the loom wiring
Moulded connectors make it much more difficult. Here's how those things work:
Throttle has three wires: ground, 5v and throttle signal (1 -4v).
The battery display has one wire : battery voltage.
The switch has two wires: in and out.

The problem is to identify how exactly it's wired. Ideally, you'd have to open the controller to see which wire goes where, but you can probably test the switch directly on the connector, but you'd have to go through all possible combinations. Two of the pins would have continuity with the switch in one position, but not in the other position.

The throttle is a Wuxing 62DX. They turn up on Aliexpress, Ebay, Amazon and at Chinese resellers, but the chance of getting the same connector wouldn't be high.

damostuart

May 21, 2024

The problem is to identify how exactly it's wired. Ideally, you'd have to open the controller to see which wire goes where, but you can probably test the switch directly on the connector, but you'd have to go through all possible combinations. Two of the pins would have continuity with the switch in one position, but not in the other position.

The throttle is a Wuxing 62DX. They turn up on Aliexpress, Ebay, Amazon and at Chinese resellers, but the chance of getting the same connector wouldn't be high.

damostuart

May 21, 2024
Thank you Saneagle for your advise.
I have done a search for the replacement part Wuxing 62Dx but they all seem to come up with 3 pins not 5. As for checking the wires i think its out of my skill set and plus i do not have a meter. Maybe i will sell it as it is for someone who has the know how to repair it.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thank you Saneagle for your advise.
I have done a search for the replacement part Wuxing 62Dx but they all seem to come up with 3 pins not 5. As for checking the wires i think its out of my skill set and plus i do not have a meter. Maybe i will sell it as it is for someone who has the know how to repair it.
Perhaps dont give up?

I can get you started on determining the 5v and ground connections in the plugs..
you just need a multimeter (£10 ebay/amazon) and some short lengths of thin stiff wire to probe the female socket pole holes.. for test wires i found the snipped legs of electrical components such as capacitors work well but if not available try the solid cores of any structural wires at hand like phone or network wires.. or prhaps the metal core of twist ties? (

any wire thin enough to enter without damaging the ports should work.. Then bend and insulate with tape or heatsink so they wont short out with each other during testing in the socket.

using the wires to probe 2x socket holes/poles at a time use the meter set to dc volts to look for the +5v connections..

With 5v/ground identified you have less wires to test for the switch and throttle signal testable with the continuity and resistance settings on the meter using the 2 x test wires to probe the sockets..

crocodile clips can be used to test the male prongs of a plug if careful and a plastic drinks straw or 2 can help isolate other pins ..

Its a pita but do able with a lil patience..

damostuart

May 21, 2024

Thank you for your advice but have not be able to locate such switch