EX-1 Cassette on Ebay....opinions please??

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018

My thoughts are that this has come off of a bike that has been dongled/derestricted, been kept in "Turbo" and hasn't seen much hills(or chain lube!)? The wear to the finish seem mainly to the highest 4 of the 8 gears- but the highest 3 are replaceable for £25 it's the solid block that makes up the 5 lowest that makes it so expensive... It doesn't look too worn tbh but who can tell?

£99...or "make an offer"? £50?!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go eagle 12spd ex1 is dead and a rip off go try big up a 8spd cassette on bike radar with the massive jumps in gear ratios compared to a 12spd cassette.

DSC_0096.JPG

i sold the one on the left with 1000s of miles on it with a dongle and covered a fair part of the new cassette never put that in the listing tho pmsl :)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I was thinking of the life my current EX1 set up has left and the fact I now have some spare wheels which I could still use- ie new Eddy Current tyres 2.8" on the new 35mm rims for serious off road and use my old 25mm rims to put faster rolling semi-slicks(worn out nobby nics!) on for fire road/tarmac?
Never paying for a new block- hopefully by the time this lot is worn out the tech will have moved on...heard a lot of bad stuff about Eagle 12 being crap quality...and I'm fine with the 8 speed ratios never been an issue off road...
(I'd go for a Deore M6000 Shadow +, Zee 640 and Sunrace MX3(off road £60)/Deore 11-36(On road £25) if I changed out- 10 speed 11-46 is plenty enough and I could go lower with a 14T front?....EX1 chains are 10 speed really (5.88mm thick, measured today)...so at £17 you're getting a far less expensive 10 speed chain specific to emtb than say KMC...dunno how the shifting would be with shimano parts probably be fine!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is like anything if you keep it clean and maintain the hole bike parts can last for years dongle or not but sod 350 for a 8spd cassette it is ebike apple tax lol ;)

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

My thoughts are that this has come off of a bike that has been dongled/derestricted, been kept in "Turbo" and hasn't seen much hills(or chain lube!)? The wear to the finish seem mainly to the highest 4 of the 8 gears- but the highest 3 are replaceable for £25 it's the solid block that makes up the 5 lowest that makes it so expensive... It doesn't look too worn tbh but who can tell?

£99...or "make an offer"? £50?!
I had the EX1 on a new Trek but really didn't like the 8 speed with large jumps.
After about 400 miles I noticed the hanger was slightly out of line and instead of leaving well alone I tried to bend it back but it snapped. I used this as an opportunity to change the lot for Shimano XT.
You can have the lot, 11-48 freewheel, rear mech and front changer for £100 -plus postage. It's all in good nick, the 48 has only had a chain on it about half a dozen times.
I'll post it to you, you can have a look then pay me, how about that?

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks but no thanks.... I'm going to look after the one on it and change the chain/sprockets regularly... Then it will be a transition to Shimano and see what is available at that time....

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks but no thanks.... I'm going to look after the one on it and change the chain/sprockets regularly... Then it will be a transition to Shimano and see what is available at that time....
I can't pretend that I am a fan of either SRAM or EX1, but what I will say in defence of the cassette, is that by looking after it as you are, I suspect that it will last for seemingly ever.
I'd love to get rid of EX1, but follow the same routine of maintenance as you do, and it just doesn't seem to be showing any sign of wear. I think that I'm now up to about 3.5K miles of use from it, and loss of paint aside, it still looks and works just as it should. That is quite some achievement given that in the past I have had to ditch Shimano cassettes after not much more than 500 miles. I also thought that Sunrace was good at about 2.5k miles.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Stumbled upon a post of yours BazP on the EX1... here's an excerpt:

"... Eventually I bent the rear mech. with a not too hard a knock.
Tried everything to re-align but without success. By this time both rear cassette and front Bosch cog were wearing
....."

Hope that's not the same kit you were offering me as "all in good nick" lol.... ;-)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Yes Eddie I think that routine care with them is the order of the day- cleaning the drivetrain even with rags and brushes then lubing after each ride and a regular thorough clean as often as you can will work wonders- the jockey wheels don't half seem to accumulate crud I've found- even with ProGold Prolink which isn't classed as a wet lube... I reckon the block of 5 is as hard as it gets but changing the chain and the sprocket before 0.5% wear is the best thing to prolong it's life. If I wipe out and need a new mech that's when the dilemma may kick in...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i had the same problem with 11spd and 12spd sram mechs as like fkn hoovers that sucks up everything but since i changed the original one with a carbon one it has not been a problem so far.
DSC_0091.JPGDSC_0092.JPG

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Stumbled upon a post of yours BazP on the EX1... here's an excerpt:

"... Eventually I bent the rear mech. with a not too hard a knock.
Tried everything to re-align but without success. By this time both rear cassette and front Bosch cog were wearing
....."

Hope that's not the same kit you were offering me as "all in good nick" lol.... ;-)
There was no damage to the mech but the hanger was out of alignment. Trying to bend this back caused it to snap, the hanger not the mech. What I thought was wear on the cassette the bike shop said it was just the many different angles on individual teeth, take a look at yours. But I still decided to swap for the Shimano.
To be fair, I did offer to send it to you at no cost for you to examine. Do Ebay do that? Wow..

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
There was no damage to the mech but the hanger was out of alignment. Trying to bend this back caused it to snap, the hanger not the mech. What I thought was wear on the cassette the bike shop said it was just the many different angles on individual teeth, take a look at yours. But I still decided to swap for the Shimano.
To be fair, I did offer to send it to you at no cost for you to examine. Do Ebay do that? Wow..
Jeez didn't mean to offend ya BazP.... For a second set of wheels EX1 is overkill for road use. As you yourself know the gearing is too low and too spaced.
I'm putting my EX1 into deep storage, at least for the winter. I got a 10 speed Deore Shadow + mech, zee 640 shifter and an 11-42T all steel cassette plus a spare wheel magnet for £95 from Deutschland... I got an 11-36T cassette for £18.50.
I want to see how this lot fares with an EX1 chain driving it over the winter- with care but not getting obsessive and overly concerned about it wearing out or crashing and having to find a replacement mech etc....
I used the 40T as a virtual lowest gear today and got up everything I tackled so the 42T will be fine...
At least from what I have read Shimano have the rights to a real clutch whereby SRAM's Type 3 is considered SH**E and not adjustable...

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Jeez didn't mean to offend ya BazP.... For a second set of wheels EX1 is overkill for road use. As you yourself know the gearing is too low and too spaced.
I'm putting my EX1 into deep storage, at least for the winter. I got a 10 speed Deore Shadow + mech, zee 640 shifter and an 11-42T all steel cassette plus a spare wheel magnet for £95 from Deutschland... I got an 11-36T cassette for £18.50.
I want to see how this lot fares with an EX1 chain driving it over the winter- with care but not getting obsessive and overly concerned about it wearing out or crashing and having to find a replacement mech etc....
I used the 40T as a virtual lowest gear today and got up everything I tackled so the 42T will be fine...
At least from what I have read Shimano have the rights to a real clutch whereby SRAM's Type 3 is considered SH**E and not adjustable...
No problem. I just thought about the looking a gift horse in the mouth thing.
I've been a lot happier with the Shimano stuff. As well as problems with the silly gear spacing on the Sram I also had problems with the Guide brakes loosing pressure. I found out that some early ones had a non return valve problem. Unfortunately this has put me off all Sram stuff.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks BazP... I'll bear it in mind though as I really have no idea how a transition to Shimano from SRAM will go.... it was a kind offer and in very good faith I know, and maybe if I'd thought it through I shouldn't have made the cynical/ sarcastic post.... sorry..... Laura has the same set up maybe I should take you up on the offer.... don't want to replace 2 groupsets and have 2 sitting in the shed...8 gears is 7 too many for her lol!!!

Related Articles

Advertisers