Exactly how to splice in to battery power for lighting

DarkerSide

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2020
Hi folks

Having enjoyed the TSDZ2 so much on my touring bike, Santa (the generous devil) has provided a Kona Ute for electric longtail excitement.

When I move the kit over, I'd like to wire in lights (partly because the new bike doesn't have a dynamo hub). I have a plan for that based on much googling, but I can't find anything that covers exactly how to splice into the cable between battery and motor. At the moment I've got a pair of bullet connectors covered in shrink wrap. Should I be using a waterproof three-way junction box thing, or am I overthinking it and can just stuff two cables into one end of each of the bullet connectors?

48V, 250W motor. Lights will be relatively restrained in terms of power...

Ta

Rob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Take both feeds from the battery base receiver, a V+ & V-. Wire the lights in parallel and connect the battery V- to the lights V-. V+ via an inline fuse and a switch to the V+ of the lights (again wired in P) . For front light use a 6- 60v or similar with inbuilt voltage converter and a rear 36/48v light ( rear tend to be fixed or dual voltage).

Use a switch to control on /off power and a fuse to prevent damage to the controller. and wiring. Wring wise one only needs to use thin 22/24awg silicon wire as current supply will only be 1a or so.

Last edited:

DarkerSide

Mar 3, 2020
Aha, that's a different option. It's a Hailong downtube battery, so I'm sure there's some photos online on how to open it up.

Plan for lights is 4 X 12v LED strips in series, plus a separate headlight in parallel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One doesn't need to open up the battery. The receiver it sits in has the discharge prongs or pins , open the combo base/controller and and carefully solder a pair of wires to the internal pins, they will then exit the controller via a grommet the wires only need to be thin. 24awg is good for 3.5a.

DarkerSide

Mar 3, 2020
Sorry, yes, I thought I'd included the word "mount" somewhere in there, but clearly not!

DarkerSide

Mar 3, 2020
Ha! I thought this bit was full of electric gubbins. Turns out there's oodles of space to do the connections and keep them tidily out of the way.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Ha! I thought this bit was full of electric gubbins. Turns out there's oodles of space to do the connections and keep them tidily out of the way.
View attachment 40032
That's very interesting! Could you post up what fuse and other bits you use and why? I'm not great with electronics but may want to add something or other later... maybe a beer chiller.