Experience/opinions on these two batteries for Bafang BBS01 350W?

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
Anybody have any experience of or opinions on the choice between these two batteries:

36V 14.5Ah Lithium Ion Frame Battery 29E Samsung Cells
http://eclipsebikes.com/145ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1104.html
This one has a USB port.
£280.​

36V 14.5Ah Lithium Ion Frame Battery 29E Samsung Cells + 2A Li Ion Charger
http://eclipsebikes.com/145ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1119.html
No USB.
£275​

Whichever one I choose is for use with a Bafang BBS01 350W centre motor. Experience of either, or opinion about my choice welcomed.

Thanks for your help.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the top one (case 09) has on/off switch and is easier to fit, the bottom one (case 08/HL) does not, you may need to drill a hole in the base to fit.

Reactions: chain

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
the top one (case 09) has on/off switch and is easier to fit, the bottom one (case 08/HL) does not, you may need to drill a hole in the base to fit.
Thanks, Trex. I don't mind drilling a hole but I do use the on/off switch on my current battery (a bottle 8.8Ahr job left over from A QSWXK installation) and the USB port on the top one would also be useful. That's two counts for choosing the top one already.

Anone else? Anyting else I should know or consider before I put in the order?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The bottom one is more discrete, lighter (slightly) and I think that the key turns it on and off.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have the HL on my Giant D5. On my battery, the key does not have a switch. It just locks the battery to the bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thought as much must depend on who assembles them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Top one has external fuse and 28a bms and is capable of 45 - 52 mile range at least my one's were able to before the GSM put paid to them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Not exactly a deal breaker, but the top one has a handy carrying handle built into the case. Don't think the Hailong has this feature.

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
Thank you, gentlemen. Since there is no significant difference in price here, this is starting to sound like a no-brainer. The only thing I can see that the bottom battery has going for it is a more integrated, neater design, totally outweighted by the practical advantages of the top battery.

Any more facts or opinions I need before I decide?

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
...at least my one's were able to before the GSM put paid to them.
How did your GSM "put paid to them"? Is the battery somehow physically or electrically fragile? I'd like to get several years of life from the battery I choose.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I derestricted the GSM to see what it was capable of and believe this has cooked my cells a little, the top one from Eclipse has a better 28a bms to protect the cells compared to my 20a bms so my BMS looks like it didn't protect the cells to well as did Kirstin's similar battery. I had no issues when I used mine with BBS01 350W but now they are just down on capacity and range. With a 28a bms I see no reason for any issues and the cells are well protected.