Experiences with Open Source Firmware on the Tongsheng TSDZ2

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Isla,

I think your speedo delay is covered in the display manual :-

" Attention, the display always interprets the data received as a speed and consequently increases the odometer, even when the bike is stationary. By enabling the parameter ENABLE_ODOMETER_COMPENSATION in the config.h file (default enabled), it is possible to recover the kilometers added and not traveled, during this operation the speed displayed while driving remains at zero until the kilometers are equalized"

So basically it waits until it has caught up the "extra " false distance and then starts to work and so is a "feature " one has to live with.

Tim

P.S. I find the manual pretty impenetrable and would not like to use the display to set data parameters

Reactions: Bikes4two and Swizz

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Have you tried installing the windows software in Wine on your Linux pc.? I had varied success when I tinkered with ubuntu and PC Linux many years ago...

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Isla,

I think your speedo delay is covered in the display manual :-

" Attention, the display always interprets the data received as a speed and consequently increases the odometer, even when the bike is stationary. By enabling the parameter ENABLE_ODOMETER_COMPENSATION in the config.h file (default enabled), it is possible to recover the kilometers added and not traveled, during this operation the speed displayed while driving remains at zero until the kilometers are equalized"

So basically it waits until it has caught up the "extra " false distance and then starts to work and so is a "feature " one has to live with.

Tim

P.S. I find the manual pretty impenetrable and would not like to use the display to set data parameters
Ah cool thank you Tim!

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Have you tried installing the windows software in Wine on your Linux pc.? I had varied success when I tinkered with ubuntu and PC Linux many years ago...
I haven't no. The Windows method is not a simple job either requiring various sources being installed to work, so I would not expect Wine to do well with it. Happy to be proven wrong tho! There are some instructions to run the software natively in Linux so will give that a go.

Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
I haven't no. The Windows method is not a simple job either requiring various sources being installed to work, so I would not expect Wine to do well with it. Happy to be proven wrong tho! There are some instructions to run the software natively in Linux so will give that a go.
I’ve not fired up my pc in a long while, my tablet is just so convenient, might have a wee look at some point!

huds

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2020
I have recently fitted a 48V 750W tsdz2 to my bike,is there any amateur in Scotland that could update my motor with the open source update for payment?
Please contact as keen to upgrade.

Hi I live near Aberdeen, just ordered the kit too flash the firmware, I have an 860c display as I want to log the data as well as open the 52v option for a small 52v battery to keep the weight down on a kona stinky, I ride mostly forests with a few small jumps but nothing too big, I love the TSDZ for this but my current 48v 4p make the bike heavy for lifting over fences so hence going the smaller pack route. Anyways I digress if your local happy to help if I can otherwise the fuel to travel may make it cheaper to buy your own firmware tool, with the great guide here provided by swizz. I will let you know how it goes with my bike. Cheers Huds

haggis

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2015
Fife
Thanks very much,I have now sent off to China for the parts which it appears may not arrive until January!!!
I will keep in touch to see how you are progressing.
I just wanted a comfortable bike for exploring rougher roads,to be truthful the motor is probably more than good enough the way it is but on hearing that virtually all 750watt motors are likely 500watt,I feel that I would like to unlock that power and put a bit more power into levels one and two

Reactions: Bikes4two and huds

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
"on hearing that virtually all 750watt motors are likely 500watt"

Where did you hear that

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

haggis

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2015
Fife
That would account for the feeble performance of my so called 750w TSDZ2
I certainly don't find mine is feeble,the first two levels seem to give very little , level 3 seems to give about half power and level 4 is full power. The terms used for motors like 250W/350W/500W/750W mean nothing.
The only way is to know the voltage and measure the current to give an idea of the input power.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I certainly don't find mine is feeble,the first two levels seem to give very little , level 3 seems to give about half power and level 4 is full power. The terms used for motors like 250W/350W/500W/750W mean nothing.
The only way is to know the voltage and measure the current to give an idea of the input power.
Compared to my Bafangs the TS is feeble. I wouldn't buy another. Another negative is its refusal to work on a fully charged 48v battery at 53v

haggis

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2015
Fife
Compared to my Bafangs the TS is feeble. I wouldn't buy another. Another negative is its refusal to work on a fully charged 48v battery at 53v
My understanding is that some of the Bafangs have about twice the power but of course that'll mean that they also have twice the consumption and there are other motors out there with twice the power of the bafang, it's just a case of what you want from it
I personally have never had a problem with a fully charged battery and mine I 48V 24.5A.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
My understanding is that some of the Bafangs have about twice the power but of course that'll mean that they also have twice the consumption and there are other motors out there with twice the power of the bafang, it's just a case of what you want from it
I personally have never had a problem with a fully charged battery and mine I 48V 24.5A.
You must have one of the better TSDZ2s

huds

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2020
Hi My understanding is that there are two controllers available and its the controller that is the "controlling" factor of the Watts available. AFAIK the TSDZ2 500 or 750 has a maximum draw of 18A which when you multiply by the voltage gives you the watts available for example a 36V x 18A = 648W system to 52V x 18 = 936w ( note this is peak load rather than a typical usage) you would not want to run at max Amps for long as it may overheat . I am going to install a temp sensor in mine to monitor the temp as a precaution. I like that this motor makes me work for the ride, sweating is a good thing and the upgrade for me is about the responsivenes. you can calibrate the torque sensor which apparently cn make a big difference too. Anyway this is hypothetical at this point for me, cant wait for the part to arrive

Reactions: Bikes4two

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Looks like you may be a candidate for

Looks like the open source firmware may be the answer for you.
Good luck
Thanks but......
Probably just change it for another BBS02. On the TS the QC is poor, reliability poor and overall way to flaky for an everyday ride. Maybe it is just my unit, done 400 odd miles, and suffers from:
Intermittent display unit working. By itself drops from level 4 to 1
Excessive play in the BB unit!
I have a 48v em3ev battery, fully charged is close to 54v. The TSDZ2 refuses to turn work at that voltage?

It is marked as 750w 48v unit, compared to my Bafang 750w 48v unit the TS motor feels feeble. Power consumption is not an issue, I rarely do more than 20 miles in a session. The BBS02 can achieve that easily!

Before you say install the OSF, the PoS should work out of the box without installing third party firmware!
The OSF is not without issues anyway. Looking at the posts on "Endless Sphere", you can gain with one thing but another glitch appears.
I will keep a close eye on your experiences in the coming weeks. For now the TS is going back in its box!

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
First comparison I have seen between BBS and TSDZ2 motors. (From ECO Cycles website)

Included: Bare TSDZ2 Controller with Battery, Speed Sensor, and Display Connectors

- Any Power Level / Programming is Available Upon Request (24-52v, 10-18a, 250-750w)
Most of the TSDZ2 models that leave the Tongsheng factory are 13a and the same couple models are commonly sold by distributors at multiple different wattage ratings ~ 350w, 500w, 750w. We typically program ours (ourselves) to 15a on the 36v models, 18a on the 48v and 17a on the 52v models - stronger than you can get anywhere else! We would rate the 36v15a @ 500w, and the 48v18a & 52v17a @ 750w - which is a realistic actual power rating for the TSDZ2. The 750w BBS models are rated with a bit of a deflated value, seeing how they peak over 1300w, while the TSDZ2 typically peaks under 1000w.

If correct the differences seem too small to explain your experience.

My TsdZ2 is a 36v (500 W) model and is much better than my Yose power front wheel kit that I know peaks at 500W acording to the display

Advertisers