Extending arm to reduce chance of been hit by overtaking car

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Having today heard of a friend who, whilst riding in a group, was almost wiped out by a passing car. It sounded a terrible experience and It got me thinking as to whether an arm sticking out at the rear, with some sort of light/reflector might have reduced a potential disaster.

Are such things available? Is there any research or studies into whether an attachment like this would be a good idea?

Views anyone?

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Having today heard of a friend who, whilst riding in a group, was almost wiped out by a passing car. It sounded a terrible experience and It got me thinking as to whether an arm sticking out at the rear, with some sort of light/reflector might have reduced a potential disaster.

Are such things available? Is there any research or studies into whether an attachment like this would be a good idea?

Views anyone?
You can buy them - orange arm with a reflector
but I would find that dangerous when passing stationary queuing cars with minimal distance between the kerb & the cars.
Although what any cyclist can do seems irrelevant
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/uncategorized/bike-visibility-does-little-to-change-drivers-dangerous-overtaking.html

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
I read somewhere that drivers can be persuaded to give more room this way - because they see something sticking out that might scrape the paintwork on their cars... Presumably, for some reason they don't think that impacts with cyclists or the bikes will damage their paintwork, and they don't care about anybody else? :rolleyes:

I tried an experiment, but I don't recommend that you do it in case it doesn't work for you and some fool hits you!

I worked on the assumption that drivers were judging what they thought was a safe distance to leave when overtaking me based on how they assessed my riding as they approached me. I did a few rides keeping an absolutely steady distance from the kerb. I had several close passes. On my next few rides, I introduced some slow random variations of about +/- 0.5 metres in my distance to the kerb as cars got closer. The overtakes were MUCH safer - even when I was furthest out into the road. I was fairly sure that the drivers thought that I was an unpredictable idiot who could not be trusted to keep out of their way, so they kept out of my way instead! (I'm not talking about me swerving in front of them, just gentle meandering well before they got within range.)

Reactions: Andy-Mat

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
You can buy them - orange arm with a reflector
but I would find that dangerous when passing stationary queuing cars with minimal distance between the kerb & the cars.
Although what any cyclist can do seems irrelevant
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/uncategorized/bike-visibility-does-little-to-change-drivers-dangerous-overtaking.html
That article mentions something I've read before.
That drivers generally tend to keep more of a distance from non helmeted riders partly because they are perceived as being more "vulnerable".
But not I assume, the more aggressive drivers.

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
That article mentions something I've read before.
That drivers generally tend to keep more of a distance from non helmeted riders partly because they are perceived as being more "vulnerable".
But not I assume, the more aggressive drivers.
You are probably right about aggressive/sociopathic drivers - they might well drive closer to 'teach the cyclist a lesson'!

I had an idiot overtake me at about 40 mph at less than arm's length last week and he had plenty of road space to use and no oncoming traffic to avoid. I'm sure that he did it to scare me.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A recent forumite added a one to his bike, think it was wheezyrider.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I also employ the, 'I'm a meandering, inattentive idiot' look. Whilst keeping an eye on my mirror I meander and insist on going round pot holes and manhole covers. Also I make it obvious that I'm apparently looking at the fields and trees. If I see/hear someone approaching fast I throw in a little wobble for good effect.
I do wear a pale yellow cycling jacket and have pedals that flash leds as they rotate. These I think are particularly effective as I've seen drivers doing a double take.

Reactions: ColinJTod

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
With some people no amount of high vis and bike attachments will change their behaviour but at least they can't say they couldn't see you.
It's not helpful that the highway code rule 163 is only advisory. Cycling UK advocate a minimum distance of 1.5m under 30mph and 2m over 30mph.
If I see a car approach in my mirror and I know he can't make a safe pass due to oncoming traffic I will move further out into the lane to dissuade them from taking chances while keeping a close watch on what they are doing. Yesterday I had a very close pass by a guy in a 4x4 going into a blind right hand bend. He paniked when a car was coming towards us and just cut in on me. From my road position my limit point was much further than his and I had slowed and moved closer to the kerb but still had to hard stop. You can educate the ignorant but not the arrogant.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

Views anyone?
Do you mean something like this?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Some good tips on this thread concerning road craft with the rear view mirror getting a good mention and for which I highly recommend. The other often contentious viewpoint is to not wear headphones as in my experience, hearing what is coming up behind is as useful as seeing so.

And I like the -' wobbling idiot' idea too, which has a lot of merit.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
A recent forumite added a one to his bike, think it was wheezyrider.

That would be this thread:

It works brilliantly :) not had a dangerous close pass since fitting this to the bike.

Reactions: Samcycles

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Had a close pass by a truck on highway the other day. I was stuck passing through a roadworks pinch point and he didn't seem to fancy slowing down. Hohum. Might have to wobble with one of these yokes on me bike an a blond wig hanging from helmet. Ha! :)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
If the arm hinged backwards with a weak spring, then when u speed up the wind makes it swing out. When u slow, threading thru traffic, the spring pulls it in. Result! :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I found those laser rear lights that put two stripes on the road are very effective at night time. the only problem is that some drivers seem too scare to overtake, and they sit behind you for ages, which is really annoying. those lights are only about £2 on bay. The batteries last for ages and the normal LED rear light is very good too. Win, win!

You can switch the stripes off if you want.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Some good tips on this thread concerning road craft with the rear view mirror getting a good mention and for which I highly recommend. The other often contentious viewpoint is to not wear headphones as in my experience, hearing what is coming up behind is as useful as seeing so.

And I like the -' wobbling idiot' idea too, which has a lot of merit.
Good tips yes, exept thatunfortunately my new bar end expensive German mirror has not helped at all. I've tried hard to set it up correctly but it's just too small. It's effectively useless.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I found those laser rear lights that put two stripes on the road are very effective at night time. the only problem is that some drivers seem too scare to overtake, and they sit behind you for ages, which is really annoying. those lights are only about £2 on bay. The batteries last for ages and the normal LED rear light is very good too. Win, win!

You can switch the stripes off if you want.

I like the idea of these, my only concern is that it's probably a good idea to turn the lasers off in the wet, otherwise a reflection might dazzle other road users.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Good tips yes, exept thatunfortunately my new bar end expensive German mirror has not helped at all. I've tried hard to set it up correctly but it's just too small. It's effectively useless.
Get a Zefal Cyclops. They don't cost much and they're perfect.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Having today heard of a friend who, whilst riding in a group, was almost wiped out by a passing car.
In part "we" can be our own worst enemy in "group" riding. Where that group adopts a pattern and positioning changing routine that effectively commands the road and sets the road speed. Fine where safe overtaking is not possible by the nature of the road but "silly" and dangerous on more open clear roads, where often the cluster expands an shuffles making overtaking inevitably hazardous.
We have cycled at various levels throughout most of our lives and respect others out cycling when we drive, but some of these group cyclist do only damage to how "we" are regarded and probably provokes these stupid overtakes we all get.
Living in the sticks we get plenty of these groups, where I am sure just by being in a group some morph into something far removed from their norm; on occassions I have been held up for miles on end whilst driving simply because the group's mindset had decided they will screw up any other road users.

The concept of a device poking way out to fend off passing cars will sure be real fun in the peloton!

• Agree
Reactions: D C

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
if you wear glasses I find that an attached mirror better than one fixed to the bike, as you can move your head to change the view!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Third-Eye-Eyeglass-Mirror-Bicycle-Bike-3rd-Black-Rearview-EZ-Mount-Sun-Glasses/291681331440?epid=6016109807&hash=item43e98fe8f0:g:SngAAOSwx-9Wunf6

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I like the idea of these, my only concern is that it's probably a good idea to turn the lasers off in the wet, otherwise a reflection might dazzle other road users.
I would say why worry? It might make the car driver take a more careful overtake.
But in fact, as the lasers shine a few degrees off the vertical, guessing 10°, IMHO the car driver that sees the reflection is FAR too close anyway......

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I would say why worry? It might make the car driver take a more careful overtake.
But in fact, as the lasers shine a few degrees off the vertical, guessing 10°, IMHO the car driver that sees the reflection is FAR too close anyway......
The angle sideways isn't so much the problem, it's that it also goes forwards and backwards at a significant angle, so that if the road is wet it could reflect back up into a driver's field of view.