Extension cable for Lishui Controller

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I've recently installed a Woosh rear hub kit on my tandem bicycle. Really pleased with the results but the size of a tandem does present some issues.

The battery / controller is mounted on the boom-tube of the tandem and the motor connection cable is a very neat fit. I've managed to install it where it should be out of the way of the chain or anything which could cause damage, but it would be better if the cable section from the controller to the female plug was only about 50mm longer. I believe there are plug-in extension cables available, but I think they are at least 50cm long and would then leave me with a lot of surplus cable.

I have no intention of messing about with the kit whilst it is under warranty, but I wondered how feasible it would be to remove the cover from the controller and replace the existing cable with one of the correct length for the bike? I've not been able to find what is inside a Lishui controller box or if it is even possible to solder in a new cable.

Happy to take advice on whether this is possible or should I leave things be on the basis that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
When we bought a Woosh front kit kit for the tandem we discussed with them first and sent measurements of the tandem; mainly to check for battery fit but also for cable lengths. They extended some cables before shipping (I think soldered and shrink-wrapped?).

May not help Jodel now (sorry), but might help others in future to double-check details with them in advance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we have leads for tandems.
please email support@wooshbikes.co.uk with pictures of your installation, we'll help you sort it.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
sjpt, I did check with Woosh if they did a tandem cable set and they advised that the 'normal' one had been extended a bit to accommodate the needs of tandem installs.

In fairness to Woosh, if I had installed the kit where you are meant to (on the down tube rather than the boom-tube) I don't think there would be a problem.

The cable from the battery unit to the handlebars is perfect (quite neat in fact). The PAS lead is also fine. It is just that the lead which connects from the battery unit to the motor is just a little bit tighter than I'd like and it would be good to re-route it slightly.

Woosh - thanks for your reply, I'll send some pictures to support and will seek their opinion. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not at all unhappy with the kit, its performance, or the installation - quite the opposite in fact.