extra battery

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
is it possible to use a secondary battery as an emergency power supply or just to extend range . I am thinking that it would need to be mounted on my rear rack, possibly under panniers. But how would it connect when required. I have freego eagle which has the battery pack mounted behind the seat post.

gray

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to find your way to your controller compartment under the battery. In there are the thick red and black wires. you need too solder on two more thick red and black wires long enough to reach your rack. Drill a hole if you need to to get them out of the compartment, and then solder on a suitablle connector for the battery. Anderson connectors will be best because they don't have exposed pins, and this connector will be live when your other battery is on. It would be safest to have the additional battery at the same voltage. Then you can use them at the same time. If you want to experiment with a higher voltage battery, you have to make sure that you have your normal one switched off when you connect the new one otherwise severe damage will occur. Likewise, you mustn't leave a flat battery switched on when you connect a charged one.

A safer idea would be to bring your existing battery wires from the controller compartment up to the rack with a female connector. Put a female connector on your new battery and then run a male connector back to your controller, so that you can connect either, and/or make a "Y"connector to connect them in parallel (if both charged and same voltage).

Last edited by a moderator:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
thanks d8veh. That sounds a bit complicated to me. Think I will just have to take it one step at a time
gray

D

Deleted member 4366

It shouldn't be difficult at all.Effectively all you do is lengthen the wires from your battery and controller so that you can bring the connector up to the rack. Then put the same connector on your new battery, and them you can choose which you join to the controller. Should take about 15 mins max.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Perhaps the easiest option, which I do, is to cycle with a spare battery and swap them over when the first one runs out...........?
Ahh the Russian solution

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Perhaps the easiest option, which I do, is to cycle with a spare battery and swap them over when the first one runs out...........?
Yes indeed, second battery in the panniers, 2 minutes to change over and back on the road.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
GaRRy, Russian solution ??........Del.
Old story

Yanks spend a fortune on designing a pen that can be used in space as normal ones no good due to lack of gravity.

Russian solution - use a pencil.

sadly in reality a urban legend but makes the point.

also know as KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Old story

Yanks spend a fortune on designing a pen that can be used in space as normal ones no good due to lack of gravity.

Russian solution - use a pencil.

sadly in reality a urban legend but makes the point.

also know as KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
The Americans spent a fortune designing neat little electrical control systems for their attitude and reaction thrusters on the Apollo and subsequent craft.
One of the first American astronauts to visit the Russian Mir station
was intrigued to see "The Russian Solution" - lever valves.
KISS, indeed.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Something similar... but...

is it possible to use a secondary battery as an emergency power supply or just to extend range . I am thinking that it would need to be mounted on my rear rack, possibly under panniers. But how would it connect when required. I have freego eagle which has the battery pack mounted behind the seat post.

gray
I mounted the second battery on the top of the rack - photos here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/11931-what-would-happen-if-48v-alien-aurora-3.html

The main advantage - it is still under the panniers (hidden and protected) and I can use either battery without any hassles.

The main disadvantage - the weight distribution is scary!

I just spliced into the wires that came from the other battery and as mine are 2 different voltages, I must make sure they are not on at the same time.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
The main advantage - it is still under the panniers (hidden and protected) and I can use either battery without any hassles.

If I leave the bike unattended then I put my spare battery in the lockable box I have on the back of the bike as I'm conscious of the high cost of the battery !

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
think I may look to get a second battery that I can just put in the pannier and switch when required. I am not very technical and despite the helpful posts on here, I know that if I started messing about with wires etc, I would end up in a mess. Next question is , Does a second battery have to be exactly the same, ie from original supplier (Freego) or are there cheaper alternatives.

Thanks for your replies gray