Ezee kit on a tandem

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hello to everyone,

Cyclezee from a certain Ezee distributor suggested I share about my coversion on a Thorn Raven 2 Tandem.
If folks are interested I will share about it.
We live in Norfolk and don't let anyone tell you it's a flat county, especially up here on the coast.

Shannock

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
Dear Tom

I converted a Thorn Raven sports tour.
I am very happy with mine.
How about some photos.
Did you put the motor front or back hub?

regards
paul

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hello Tom,
As Paul said about his, so far we are very satisfied with ours.
We decided that as we are hovering around the 70 mark that this was possibly the time to look at some sort of hill assistance with our Thorn Raven Twin tandem. It is fitted with a Rolhoff rear hub and S&S couplings. We have done numerous cycle camping tours in the UK and Europe, two rear panniers and a YakBob trailer.
We looked at a number of kits, and finally bought a front wheel kit from Cyclezee. It was promptly delivered and I started the assembly.
First the fork dropouts had to be widened with careful use of a file and the wheel and motor fitted very snugly. I put the throttle on the stoker bars relying on my wife to feed in just the right amount of power.
Pedelec sensor required a longer bottom bracket axle to be able to fit the rotor and sensor. Because we split the tandem I had to cut all the other cables and fit connectors, the JST connectors were a bit fiddly as the crimp-ons were small but I managed and also soldered them. Extra junction boxes were required and I needed an extra length of power cable which together with the extra connectors, provided.
While waiting for the bits to arrive (some were brought from China) I did a lashup of the wires and we used the tandem for about a couple of hundred miles before everything was sorted. The pedelec facility is for use when we go to France.
There has been a lot of e-mails between us and he has been very helpful and patient with me, even mailing when he was at the factory in China. There is a photo at the end of his website gallery.
We upgraded the battery to a 14ah and added the town rack taking off the spring clip as it rattled.
The motor is rated at 250watts but can easily be adjusted for offroad use to 350watts.
We use it for HILL assistance, very rarely relying on it to power us without pedalling. The whole setup is quite heavy but we are used to loads and also never use the motor from a standing start as the torque may damage the tapered forks which have a double crown, we also fitted the torque bar.
So for us, with awareness of the limitations re. weight and frame, the kit is doing just what we want it to.
By the way we also have a Dawes Galaxy tandem for local use when we need the exercise. I hope this has not been too boring but also I hope it will encourage others to convert.

Peter (shannock)

C

Cyclezee

Hi Peter

Nice to see you on the forum, it was pleasure dealing with you.

I am sure other members will find your posts interesting.

Below is one of the photos you kindly sent to me.

IMG_1737a.jpg

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Peter - this has been in my mind for a while. We tandemed (?) for years until I was diagnosed with angina. J has heart problems too. Stupidly we sold our tandem & then discovered ebikes. We're very happy with our Juicy Classics but there's always that little niggle 'wouldn't it be great to tandem again'! You've given us something to think about!
Thanks, & best wishes for the future.

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
timidtom,
I suffer from atrial fribrillation but medication keeps it in check.
It may be worth looking at a lighter tandem with ATB type forks. there are quite a number of tandems out there with kits fitted,I've even seen them on Dawes Galaxys,
Pete

C

Cyclezee

I am not a tandem expert, but these Viking tandems look reasonable for the money http://www.cycleking.co.uk/10_27_61_Adult-tandems_1_asc.html

Here is one with an eZee conversion using the old style VP battery and soft bag
DSCN2923.jpg
eZee have a lovely complete folding tandem with 20" wheels and childs seat too which I had the opportunity to ride, it is a real fun machine.eZee specials 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I'll put in a good word for Viking tandems; sturdy bikes at very fair prices. If you look at the Tandem Club forum and put in a search for Viking there's a good deal of information.
Tom

Last edited: