Ezee Torq cutting out...

Michael of Gwynedd

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2008
Caernarfon, Gwynedd
Ping re-celling

There is only one way to find out if Ping can re-cell an eZee battery by sending Mr Ping an e mail, he’s pretty good at answering, and I would not he surprised if he’s been asked this question before.

Postage will be considerable cost and it may be cheaper to by a new eZee battery from Cyclepoint.

I purchases a 15AH Ping battery a few months ago and have it mounted in a plastic box on the rear rack of my eZee Forza.

I remove the original battery when using the Ping.

When starting off and using a lot of throttle my LED briefly turn to amber then back to green. I have never had the light turn to red. On the eZee battery, it always turns to amber when starting, and frequently turns to red, but that’s why I purchased the Ping.

I now tend to feed in the power slowly and always slow down when hill climbing, last week in trying to flatten the Ping, I cycled at speed up a steep hill and the 15amp fuse in my circuit blew. I thought a cut out had happened and switched the current on and off a few times, but to no avail. Had the cycle using my power – hard work – was whacked when I arrived home!! I now carry spare fuses in case it happens again.

Michael.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
fishingpaul - your cheaper solution seems very interesting to me. Can you please tell me how you made it up, size, how it is mounted and connected and possibly a photo. I'm certainly not averse to making one up with the possible savings to be had. You are right - I won't be doing many miles per year and only use it as transport when motorcaravaning so this could be an ideal solution.

Flecc - thanks for your expert information - al least I know what I need now.
It was made by connecting three 12v 14ah batteries in series,this is done by connecting the positive of the first battery to the negative of the middle battery and from the positive of the middle battery to the negative of the third battery, you then just run two wires from each of the end terminals of the outer batteries to the charging jack and down to the terminals used by the normal battery terminal furthest from the key switch is the positive terminal, you need a box of at least 320mm long x150mm wide x 110mm high to put the batterys in and polystyrene or something to pad out unused space and stop the batteries from jumping around, i used a wilkinsons £4 toolbox but this is a little bit big,it is mounted on the rear rack with a couple of small bolts and a couple of bungee cords, i have probably made it sound far more complicated than it is but if i can make one up anybody can,i will try and post a few photos over the weekend.

peter999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2007
Elstree, Herts
fishingpaul - thank you. I'm looking seriously at making up a similar pack. Your photos and any further information will be appreciated. Would I be able to use the existing charger or is that only suitable for Li-ion batteries ?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
fishingpaul - thank you. I'm looking seriously at making up a similar pack. Your photos and any further information will be appreciated. Would I be able to use the existing charger or is that only suitable for Li-ion batteries ?
The existing charger is for li-ion only,i purchased my lead acid charger, item number 150343767796from ebay for £22.00 including postage, i also bought a charging jack to suit for £2.50 at the same time from them,i am waiting for my sons help to try and post photos.