eZeebike (iOmega) controller throwing an error code.

RschDev

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2020
My bike (eZeebike iOmega) has been working really well but lately there is an interesting issue. Every once-in-awhile, the motor just stops working. Nothing I do (peddling or activating the throttle) helps, but after a couple of minutes it starts working again. The cycleanalyst shows good voltage and the indicator shows the throttle is being activated, but the motor doesn't operate. Today I noticed something that is probably diagnostic. There is a red LED on the controller that is solidly on when the bike is powered on and working. When the problem occurs, the LED blinks on five times, pauses, blinks five times again, pauses, etc. When the problem goes away, the light is solid again. Does anyone have a clue what the five blinks indicates?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

5 blinks = Throttle failure

RschDev

Oct 28, 2020

5 blinks = Throttle failure
THANK YOU!!! That was exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

RschDev

Oct 28, 2020
Investigated the throttle and found a suspect connection. I patched it for now and it's working. I'll replace the connector tomorrow. Thanks again for the pointer.

Reactions: MontyPAS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Throttle error is given when the controller receives a non-zero signal when you switch on the controller. It's not something that could normally happen when riding. Logically, the controller is restarting for whatever reason while you hold the throttle open. See if you get that when you leave the throttle permanently closed.

RschDev

Oct 28, 2020
Investigated the throttle and found a suspect connection. I patched it for now and it's working. I'll replace the connector tomorrow. Thanks again for the pointer.
A day later and the problem has returned. I have replaced the throttle connection and the connection is solid (tested with a meter). The problem remains. While the Cycleanalyst shows plenty of voltage and indicates that the throttle is working, and that the brake cutoff switches are not activated, it just stops powering the hub motor. The pesky 5 flashes happen. I am confounded but am wondering if the issue may be in the wire that goes to the controller from the battery. I hate intermittent problems.

RschDev

Oct 28, 2020
Throttle error is given when the controller receives a non-zero signal when you switch on the controller. It's not something that could normally happen when riding. Logically, the controller is restarting for whatever reason while you hold the throttle open. See if you get that when you leave the throttle permanently closed.
I get the same error when running the motor via the pedelec and not activating the throttle.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I get the same error when running the motor via the pedelec and not activating the throttle.
Did you try connecting the throttle direct to the controller? Why are you running it through the Cycle Anayst? With the Cycle analyst, it's dead easy to make an incorrect throttle signal via your programming especially if you're running the PAS through the CA and converting it to a throttle signal.

Reactions: MontyPAS

TopEParts

Jul 11, 2022
China
My bike (eZeebike iOmega) has been working really well but lately there is an interesting issue. Every once-in-awhile, the motor just stops working. Nothing I do (peddling or activating the throttle) helps, but after a couple of minutes it starts working again. The cycleanalyst shows good voltage and the indicator shows the throttle is being activated, but the motor doesn't operate. Today I noticed something that is probably diagnostic. There is a red LED on the controller that is solidly on when the bike is powered on and working. When the problem occurs, the LED blinks on five times, pauses, blinks five times again, pauses, etc. When the problem goes away, the light is solid again. Does anyone have a clue what the five blinks indicates?
Here's the exactly same led display, in case of you need it for replacement.