False crossbar for carrying e.bikes on a bike carrier

Supernan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2020
Then someone bought completely the wrong caravan.....but I agree, many small, overloaded caravans have no capacity for bikes!!
Also, due to the fact that many are scared of maneuvering with a tandem axle, and only buy single axled ones!
But I will not have anything other than a tandem, but I can also drive in reverse....Many cannot!
Tandem axle caravans are easier to load correctly, they handle more load, are far more stable when on the road, generally have more space, and and and.
The good points list is long!!
Then there are the idiots who drive with full fresh water tanks.....a relatively large weight!
I can only say that in my caravans, correctly loaded and balanced, there has always been a place for bikes if needed. But if the right car was also bought, with some spare load (my car has a max towing weight of 2000Kg) and we keep it mostly empty when driving anyway, then there are many ways to carry a bike with a car, popping off the front wheel can also help further, if you want it inside, for example.
Yes I agree over the weight and correct loading. However, our caravan is very small but we load it so one bike can be carried inside and one on a flange attached cycle rack. We prefer our small caravan, don't want a large one as we do a lot of touring. Before retirement, my husband was an engineer and part of his job meant he had to be able to drive an articulated vehicle, so has the appropriate licence and, like you, finds reversing and parking is second nature even with articulated vehicles! But even with our small caravan, the weight loading for both caravan and car has to be carefully balanced!

Supernan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2020
Would a vertical bike rack be any help?
Similar to these... LINK
Thank you for that, we do have a similar one that we use when not towing our caravan! The issue was with the hanging rack and finding a false crossbar that would bear the weight, I have since found a suitale one!

Geetsrevoel

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2020
Thank you for that, we do have a similar one that we use when not towing our caravan! The issue was with the hanging rack and finding a false crossbar that would bear the weight, I have since found a suitale one!
What crossbar did you go for in the end? I’m searching for one too.

Captain_Mike

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2019
I've just purchased a false crossbar from MaxxRaxx, which has a maximum load weight of 25kg - one of the highest I could find. It's called the AUX X-Bar and is priced at £21.50. I am impressed with the build quality and ease of use, together with how quickly I received it after ordering by phone.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Then someone bought completely the wrong caravan.....but I agree, many small, overloaded caravans have no capacity for bikes!!
Also, due to the fact that many are scared of maneuvering with a tandem axle, and only buy single axled ones!
But I will not have anything other than a tandem, but I can also drive in reverse....Many cannot!
Tandem axle caravans are easier to load correctly, they handle more load, are far more stable when on the road, generally have more space, and and and.
The good points list is long!!
Then there are the idiots who drive with full fresh water tanks.....a relatively large weight!
I can only say that in my caravans, correctly loaded and balanced, there has always been a place for bikes if needed. But if the right car was also bought, with some spare load (my car has a max towing weight of 2000Kg) and we keep it mostly empty when driving anyway, then there are many ways to carry a bike with a car, popping off the front wheel can also help further, if you want it inside, for example.
Not everyone wants to help destroy the planet with a large caravan and towing vehicle. Some of us downsize to a little 2 berth for ease and economy. I've heard of people getting 4 wheelers cos they are easier to reverse though. I just learned to reverse a short twitchy outfit.