Fat lad in need of ebike advice

paolocee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2019
I'm 56, 6'4" and 150kgs (about 24st). Been unable to exercise for almost a decade after a serious accident. And the pounds have piled on. Finally got my new knee last month and want to get a bike. My kids and wife go on long, 40km rides, (we live in the middle of nowhere in Sweden) and I want to join them. But I know I'm far too unfit to keep up without cheating (and it's very hilly).

So I need an ebike, I guess. I'll be riding mostly on tarmac but also gravel paths and snow. Budget is £4k-£5k.

Your suggestions would be most welcome. It's a confusing buyers' market, especially for a monster like me!

I have seen the Haibike sDuro 3.0 mentioned in another thread but I can't find its weight limit anywhere.

Ta.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: paolocee

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Am I allowed a supplementary question? Where can I find HUGE helmets? I have a 65cm head and the largest I've found so far have been 62cm...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you will need to find a xxl thats 64cm

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019

you will need to find a xxl thats 64cm

Thanks but those have made me all claustrophobic. And just remembered that my old open-faced snowmobile helmet (bought at huge expense from Big Heads R Us in the US) should suffice. But thanks!

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
OK. I've whittled it down to two bikes. Any preferences? The Kalkhoff I've found has a Bosch Performance Line motor. The Cube has a Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4.

The Kalkhoff has a weight limit of 170kg, the Cube 150kg. They're pretty much identical in price.

or

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
OK. I've whittled it down to two bikes. Any preferences? The Kalkhoff I've found has a Bosch Performance Line motor. The Cube has a Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX Generation 4.

The Kalkhoff has a weight limit of 170kg, the Cube 150kg. They're pretty much identical in price.

or

That Kalkhoff seems to have the Shimano E8000 motor which is fine. The two bikes are quite different. The Cube more off-road oriented and the Kalkhoff more comfortable on the road. Cube looks to have better components overall and might be more fun (but less comfortable over longer distances). Depends what you want to use it for.

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
That Kalkhoff seems to have the Shimano E8000 motor which is fine. The two bikes are quite different. The Cube more off-road oriented and the Kalkhoff more comfortable on the road. Cube looks to have better components overall and might be more fun (but less comfortable over longer distances). Depends what you want to use it for.
No, the Kalkhoff I've found has a Bosch Performance Line motor. They also come with a Shimano motor but the one I found doesn't. It'll mainly be on tarmac with a little bit of gravel and trail riding.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
No, the Kalkhoff I've found has a Bosch Performance Line motor. They also come with a Shimano motor but the one I found doesn't. It'll mainly be on tarmac with a little bit of gravel and trail riding.
Bosch Performance line motor is also fine but not as powerful as CX. For your requirements the Kalkhoff would be a sensible choice but sensible isn’t always what you want!

Persiflage

Aug 18, 2019
Mate, registered here just to reply! I am 6'6" and 143kg, and I bought a Cube HD Fusion a couple of months back. Experience with Cube has been amazing and there's a contact I can give you on the down-low for a senior guy who is awesomely helpful, assuming he gives permission. 150kg "weight limit" on the bike, but Cube are confident it'll take even heavier riders and will warranty that.

Met another massive bloke with the same bike a week ago while out riding some rough towpaths around here. Do it: you won't regret it!

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Mate, registered here just to reply! I am 6'6" and 143kg, and I bought a Cube HD Fusion a couple of months back. Experience with Cube has been amazing and there's a contact I can give you on the down-low for a senior guy who is awesomely helpful, assuming he gives permission. 150kg "weight limit" on the bike, but Cube are confident it'll take even heavier riders and will warranty that.

Met another massive bloke with the same bike a week ago while out riding some rough towpaths around here. Do it: you won't regret it!
Thanks for that Persi! Do you mean the Reaction Hybrid HD? And, yes, any help most gratefully received. My mind is in knots!

Persiflage

Aug 18, 2019
Thanks for that Persi! Do you mean the Reaction Hybrid HD? And, yes, any help most gratefully received. My mind is in knots!
Oops, yes, that one! It is sturdy as anything. You aren't going to keep up with a serious road cyclist, but at least you don't need to worry the thing's going to buckle a wheel when you crash through a pothole. I spent a couple of months talking to retailers and manufacturers alike, and that bike is one of the most robust out there for us bigger lads.

Incidentally, a company called Fat Lad At The Back make amazing cycling shorts in big sizes. You'll want some! :')

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Oops, yes, that one! It is sturdy as anything. You aren't going to keep up with a serious road cyclist, but at least you don't need to worry the thing's going to buckle a wheel when you crash through a pothole. I spent a couple of months talking to retailers and manufacturers alike, and that bike is one of the most robust out there for us bigger lads.

Incidentally, a company called Fat Lad At The Back make amazing cycling shorts in big sizes. You'll want some! :')
Brilliant name. Will check. Thanks. Is it decent on tarmac too? It'll mainly be road stuff but some light trail work too.

Persiflage

Aug 18, 2019
Brilliant name. Will check. Thanks. Is it decent on tarmac too? It'll mainly be road stuff but some light trail work too.
Oh yeah, it's fine on the roads, I love it. I don't have any problem keeping it over the 15.5mph cutoff on the flat for miles at a time, and I'm about as unfit as you get. The format and the tyres mean a higher rolling resistance than a road bike, but I can honestly say it hasn't been an issue for me. Maybe one day if I get fit and considerably lighter I might need to start caring :) The main deal with this bike is that if you are on the hefty side, you can ride it off kerbs, through potholes and down rough paths in comfort and without anything going pretzel-shaped on you. You can lock off the front air suspension for road use, which is a bit more energy-efficient. Put it this way... my girlfriend is (literally) half my weight and infinitely fitter, and I don't have a problem keeping the pace when the two of us are out riding and she's on her 21-speed hybrid, which came as a huge surprise!

D

Deleted member 25121

Bosch Performance line motor is also fine but not as powerful as CX. For your requirements the Kalkhoff would be a sensible choice but sensible isn’t always what you want!
Bosch currently do 2 ranges of motor, the Performance Line CX and the Active Line Plus.
The Performance Line CX is the more powerful of the two.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've gone for the Kalkhoff - I'm not sure that Cube fan was entirely kosher.
Nothing wrong with the Kalhoff brand as long as it doesn't have the Impulse motor.

Persiflage

Aug 18, 2019
Well that's harsh! What on earth made you think that?! I'm honestly just a random passer-by who spotted the title of your thread and joined up :(

Glad you've found something specific for you though, congrats.