fat man on a bike_hi

Woodbutcher

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2014
Hello from a wet and windy Lincolnshire. Long time cyclist who did many thousand miles on my Raleigh Randonneur in my younger and fitter days but now struggling with arthritic hands, knees and hips, so looking to buy my first e bike shortly to carry on the fight and get back to my fighting weight.

Been lurking on here for a week or so and have a few questions i'd like to ask about suitable machines. Think I'll ask those in another thread before this post gets too long and dull.

Names Steve btw.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Steve, I hope you are soon able to decide on a suitable e-bike and get the benefit of the late summer's cycling. You'll soon find that e-biking is only partly about getting fit, it's also about having fun.

Woodbutcher

Aug 18, 2014
Cheers mate. Had a quick shufty at a new bike shop in town today. They had couple of haibikes and a cube, which were well beyond the 2 grand mark and too rich for my blood. Too sporty for me also.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cheers mate. Had a quick shufty at a new bike shop in town today. They had couple of haibikes and a cube, which were well beyond the 2 grand mark and too rich for my blood. Too sporty for me also.
Ebike retailers are still thin on the ground.

At least you had something to look at locally, many prospective buyers do not.

Where is the shop?

Members on here are always keen to hear of new retailers.

Woodbutcher

Aug 18, 2014
Hi Rob. I live in Grimsby and a local bike shop called Cooks have just opened a new much bigger showroom In neighbouring Cleethorpes this month. They have the three bikes mentioned and said they were getting some cheaper 2015 Cubes in stock soon. They also said they had a couple of Raleighs in their smaller shop in Grimsby.

There is also a place 20 miles out of town in Barnetby that stocks Kudos, Juicy and Freego, which I hope to visit soon. They are not a shop as such but do test rides by appointment. They are called Elecgo.

There is another in Grimsby called George Petch but I know nothing about them yet or what stock they carry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Grimsby use to be one of our e-bike hotspots in the last decade, there were more sightings of e-bikes there than most places, so you are in a good place for taking it up.

Woodbutcher

Aug 18, 2014
Grimsby use to be one of our e-bike hotspots in the last decade, there were more sightings of e-bikes there than most places, so you are in a good place for taking it up.
Really? That does surprise me. Can't say i've ever noticed them but i aint been looking 'til now.

Just got back from a tour of the North of England and saw an older gent whizzing in and out of the campsite, which is what got me looking at them, after i came back from a ride in the hills the worst for wear.

Also noticed that my next door neighbour has one and i'd never clicked on before that it was an ebike. I'd ask her for a go but she is a sour faced mare.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Welcome steve wilko motor spares on canvamore road have some Juicy in stock,and a another make i cant remember the name of,do Cooks have any cheaper brands in there pasture street shop,the one you went to at wilton road is a bit exclusive ;)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Really? That does surprise me. Can't say i've ever noticed them but i aint been looking 'til now.

Just got back from a tour of the North of England and saw an older gent whizzing in and out of the campsite, which is what got me looking at them, after i came back from a ride in the hills the worst for wear.

Also noticed that my next door neighbour has one and i'd never clicked on before that it was an ebike. I'd ask her for a go but she is a sour faced mare.

Perhaps she needs a Ann summers saddle :D

Woodbutcher

Aug 18, 2014
Welcome steve wilko motor spares on canvamore road have some Juicy in stock,and a another make i cant remember the name of,do Cooks have any cheaper brands in there pasture street shop,the one you went to at wilton road is a bit exclusive ;)
Didn't know about the Wilco shop. Is it in the old Abbey Caravan yard?

Never been in Cooks on Pasture St. I was a Percy's cycles man 'til he shut down and now use Woods on St Peters Ave. Was up at Wilton Rd on business yesterday and noticed the new Cooks shop, so went in on a whim and had a look. They did seem a tad expensive and the only thing that the young lady assistant seemed to know about ebikes is that 'they are brilliaaaaaant', which she repeated several times in the vain hope that i would part with almost 3 grand on a bike she knew nothing about.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Didn't know about the Wilco shop. Is it in the old Abbey Caravan yard?

Never been in Cooks on Pasture St. I was a Percy's cycles man 'til he shut down and now use Woods on St Peters Ave. Was up at Wilton Rd on business yesterday and noticed the new Cooks shop, so went in on a whim and had a look. They did seem a tad expensive and the only thing that the young lady assistant seemed to know about ebikes is that 'they are brilliaaaaaant', which she repeated several times in the vain hope that i would part with almost 3 grand on a bike she knew nothing about.
You can find that Wilco Store at this link