fat wheel psi

Ahmed55555

Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2020
Hi, I have a 20x4 fatwheel ebike which has a 500w geared hub motor, whats the best psi for a comfortable ride with stability and speed? I ride on London roads. I'm 100kg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
According to https://bicycleer.com/fat-bike-tire-pressure/ around 20-25 PSI. I guess a fat tyre like that will always be reasonably cushioned against all but the worst potholes; I'd go for the top of the range specified on the tyre.

... but that is based on guesswork and 2nd hand information, I've never ridden a fatwheel bike.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Trail and error may be the best. Use a tyre pressure gauge. You should be able to feel how compromised you handling is, especially cornering on the road, and get a good understand of the lowest pressure you can run on the road without compromising your cornering.

With those types of bike you may be able to work out a range of pressures for different conditions, eg sand, mud, rock.

I have a 2.35 gravity mud tyre on the rear and run it around 30 psi as a good road and off road compromise pressure.

Basically I pump it up to 30psi, and am in the habit of a quick check, squeezing each tyre before a ride. The back will slowly lose pressure over time, which makes it better off road and not so good on road, and when I can tell it has lost too much pressure, or feel the handling is too compromised for the road, pump it up again.

Keeps thing simple.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Related subject - this turned out to be a decent impulse purchase at a very low price:

It's still working, 5 minutes later.

Reactions: richtea99

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I have been riding my` Lanarkshire E Bikes `Fat Tyre for 3 years and have an original Kenda Krusade 20x4in. Tractor pattern on the rear and a Chaoyang Sand /Road tyre diamond pattern on the front . The maximum recommended psi for the Kenda is 30 , so I inflate to just under , approx. 29 psi . The Chaoyang has a recommended maximum pressure of 20 psi , so I run it at just below 25 psi . The ride is firm and not helped by the soft/poorly damped front fork .
These 20x4 in. tyres can be expensive , I bought 2 from RIDEWILL in Italy for £20 each plus postage but I don`t think they supply to the UK now because of Brexit . I bought another 2 Chaoyangs from a place in London that had a special offer of two for the price of one , if I remember correctly .

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
I have also just purchased a fat tyre ebike I had my rear on 27psi and front on 25psi . The side wall of the tyre says 30psi I’ve now reduced my pressure to 20psi much nicer ride also on 20x4” tyres