Fatbike Custom Pedelec Hub Build Help

joehxc

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2013
Hello and good evening all,

I'm new to the forum I've been browsing for a few days and looking for e-bike conversion ideas for a few weeks!

I have a bit of an odd request that I need some help with / looking for a shop capable of a build!

I cycle around 86 - 90 miles a week on and off road for my commute to work ,cycling as well as a love is my daily cardio. I've recently injured myself quite badly after losing tension during a dead lift which has left me unable to ride properly.

Winter is coming and I need to be able to make my commute still ( I have no intention of hanging up my helmet and putting away my bike ) , I'd like to pick up a conversion kit to help me out while I heal and rehab my low back / hamstrings riding like this in an injured state is just delayingthe healing process.

Since my injury I've lost a little weight but on average I rock in at around 110 KG - 112KG I'm about 108 at the moment.

Now enough back story here is the bikey part!
I ride a rock rider 6.5 with a fat front Surly Fork & 3.8 Inch Knard on a Rolling Darryl Rim ( would not change it for the world apart from to go full fat of course )
fatty2.jpg

What I'd like to know is if anyone in the UK has converted a fat rim / e bike wheel set up .

In my research I found some crazy boys out in NYC that have done the job with a bionix kit but that's on the other side of the pond and I need a quick as possible fix for the sake of my back and hams!
surly-moonlander-with-36v-custom-bionx-motor-16.jpg
I'm looking at getting a full fat bike next year so ideally I'd like a front wheel E bike Kit I can simply switch in and out on my current bike then onto a new one next year once healed and more than likely put back in after leg day haha.

The rim the kit needs to be fitted to is 32 hole & fat hubs are usually 135 mm.

I'm guessing because of my weight I'll need something with power and odds are that isn't going to be at the cheaper end of the scale fat bike stuff isn't anyway I've saved a long time for a full fat (still not there keep in mind ) but I need to sacrifice the full fat dream for a little longer for an E bike kit I think.

Id really appreciate any help with this and if any shops in the North west can do the build please get in touch! I'm looking to get the build done before the 29th of the month.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I think the easier way to convert a fatbike might be via a chaindrive system/kit like the bosch mid drive stuff as it avoids rebuilding wheels but does mean chaining the bb. The kit in the picture is one of these VVV and assuming they have the same amount of spokes you just need a good wheel builder to rebuild with the ebike hub and then wire it all up.

Premium Series

I keep looking at one of these and want to click buy but know it is useless for my ride to work and back lol

On-One 'Fatty' Fat Bike

joehxc

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2013
Rebuilding the wheel is not an issue as I'll be able to take the front wheel off and swap for another fat front wheel ( my current ).
I intend the build to be on a new rim so basically one front wheel for while I recover and another for when I can bounce into orbit on my fat front off road again in some months time! Although I'm sure I'll take the Pedelec offroad too haha

The on-one is a great bike for the price and its also a worthy note that on-one have a carbon fat fork in production at the moment which undercuts everything out there :D

[video=youtube;NY7UO9erG0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7UO9erG0I[/video]

There is the BionX kit set up in motion on a Surly Moonlander from the static image same builders different colour moony I think.

If I was to go down the chain drive route what kind of cost would it be do you think? What is the max speed I will be able to get out of it/ power.

Oh and if your thinking about clicking buy it now on a fatty.... do it lol I've never had so much fun on a bike in my life and mine is only half fat! What is stopping you for your ride to work at the moment ? Frame weight ? storage?

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Rebuilding the wheel is not an issue as I'll be able to take the front wheel off and swap for another fat front wheel ( my current ).
I intend the build to be on a new rim.

The on-one is a great bike for the price and its also a worthy note that on-one have a carbon fat fork in production at the moment which undercuts everything out there at the moment.

[video=youtube;NY7UO9erG0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7UO9erG0I[/video]

There is the BionX kit set up in motion on a Surly Moonlander :D

If I was to go down the chain drive route what kind of cost would it be do you think?

Oh and if your thinking about clicking buy it now on a fatty.... do it lol I've never had so much fun on a bike in my life and mine is only half fat! What is stopping you for your ride to work at the moment ? Frame weight ? storage?
Storage doesn't help, currently I have 4 bikes and untold spare parts but mostly use the single speed racer I built up a month or 2 ago. Being in london I kinda know that it doesn't matter where/how I chain up a fatbike it stands out and will get nicked within a week. Weight wouldn't help either since I live upstairs and have plenty of steps to carry my bikes up at the end of rides.

I think you will be looking at the £1000+ kits either way I'm no expert on them tho, all the fatbike ebikes I have seen use 500w-750w or more motors and I'm guessing the smaller motors can't cut it with the fat stuff.

I should probably also mention that them kits mostly fall foul of uk/eu road laws(hence all the videos on youtube coming from the usa) but they are ok offroad/private land ect.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I think the easier way to convert a fatbike might be via a chaindrive system/kit like the bosch mid drive stuff as it avoids rebuilding wheels but does mean chaining the bb.
Don't fat bikes have a wide BB? 100mm or so. The 8fun BBS crank drives only fit a std 68mm BB (though I understand an american company makes an adaptor to fit 73mm BB - no idea if they sell outside of US tho')
Don't know about the GNG kit.

joehxc

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2013
Don't fat bikes have a wide BB? 100mm or so. The 8fun BBS crank drives only fit a std 68mm BB (though I understand an american company makes an adaptor to fit 73mm BB - no idea if they sell outside of US tho')
Don't know about the GNG kit.

Yup fatbikes have wider BB but keep in mind I'm fitting this onto a fat front standard MTB

max.jpg

There it is in a better photo not hanging from a tree haha, bottom image I was proud of nearly broke 30 but ran out of flat straight road and hit red lights . The fat front roars at those kinds of speeds.

With a Pedelec though I'll have to keep the speed down but offroad I'll be having fun so a higher end kit is still more inviting though the price is not so much!

Is there any other kit I can look at for a front wheel conversion that can hit those kinds of speeds?

C

Cyclezee

Hi joehxc,

An eZee kit would give you the sort of performance that you are looking for, but there are 2 issues,
No.1 eZee motors in common with the majority of hub motors have 36 holes.
No.2 We are not in the North West.

I would like to able to help you, but I don't think I can on this occasion.

All the best with your project.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Yup fatbikes have wider BB but keep in mind I'm fitting this onto a fat front standard MTB

View attachment 7269

There it is in a better photo not hanging from a tree haha, bottom image I was proud of nearly broke 30 but ran out of flat straight road and hit red lights . The fat front roars at those kinds of speeds.

With a Pedelec though I'll have to keep the speed down but offroad I'll be having fun so a higher end kit is still more inviting though the price is not so much!

Is there any other kit I can look at for a front wheel conversion that can hit those kinds of speeds?
If you have a standard rear then why not just fit a rear wheel kit?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Pedego do some for just over £2k built with 600W 48V direct drive motor and 20mph assist. Singlespeed only tho' :(

http://pedegoeurope.com/product-category/trail-trackers/

If you have a standard rear then why not just fit a rear wheel kit?
My thoughts exactly .. I looked into doing a Surly Moonlander and decided it's what I'd do (if not a dual drive) - only thing was it was WAY too much money ! However I think it is so OP can swap out the kit to a full fat bike when that is obtained and funds permit whilst still having an eBike to use in the meantime ?

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Joe,

I've recently put a Cyclezee rear wheel kit on my 29er & would suggest you'll need something with at least that much grunt to take the strain when your injuries need it to. (The Cyclezee mk 2 motor is a wolf in sheep's clothing.) :)

The 32 spoke issue is a no-no on the front for many kits & don't be persuaded an average, cheap, 250 watt kit is going to do the job.

I reckon a chat with Frank will be a good starting point.

joehxc

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2013
Thank you for all of your replies , I've had a chat with Frank it has certainly left me with a few things to think of.

Jackhandy is right it will take something with a bit more grunt its alot of steel to move plus me!

103Alex1 was correct I intend to swap out to a full fat next year and wanted to make sure that I could use the Kit I sort out in the next couple of weeks on that bike.

John I'm currently hunting down a 36H rim as Surly do produce them I might be in luck tomorrow when my LBS gets back to me if not I can order and should have it in hand at the right time for the project.

Clockwise the storage space would be an issue but there is an answer to your stairs .... carbon fibre bear grease .... the price tag to go along with it though .... not so inviting haha I picked up a Ti Bear Grease earlier in the year I think it rocked in at around 11-12Kg if I remember rightly I'd have to doulble check but my god it was light!

Thank you all so much with your help so far I think I'm on the right track to getting things sorted!