Fatbike for commute or MTB recommendations up to £1000

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
After Xmas, I'm going to buy a newer bike and transplant my Bafang Hd on it . Would you recommend a Fatbike for a commute? If not what MTB up to a grand would you choose?

Cheers

Mick

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If you have a standard 67/73mm HD it is very unlikely to fit any fat bike, you will need the 100/120mm version due to the wide BB. If you are looking to buy a new MTB bike, beware alot have small, single chainwheels and wide chainstays which will prevent the fitting of your motor. There are plenty of S/H bikes around which will suit your needs. What's wrong with your existing bike?

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Sorry for late reply,id like a bike with bigger wider tyres for comfort ,my bike is an old hardrock and the tyres are skinny .Also being a straight steerer it makes getting nicer forks difficult .Id like a more modern bike .

Mick

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I didn't say the HD won't fit a fat bike, but you need the 100/120mm version. My Surly Moonlander has a 100mm wide BB, but I needed the 120mm HD to clear the chainstays.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The specialized Fatboy needs the 100mm or 120mm depending on the version/year , you need to measure before you order the motor. As mentioned already if it has to be wider to clear the chainstays depends on the max tyre width. [But if it has a triple at the front you have more chance of it fitting .]
But on some brands its ok the Charge cooker boost plus will take the 100mm version. The cheaper Chinese brands can also be a problem frame welds snapping etc , the hardest thing i find is to fit a battery in the triangle if you want it still to be removable
PS Avoid the 100/120mm versions of the tsdz2 are cheaper, but much harder to work out if it will fit due to the pedal arms

Attachments