Juicybike FATBOY ELECTRIC CONVERSION 1500W

FATBOY2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2020
Hi I'm new to converting bikes into ebikes. I'm starting with my first as a Fatboy.

Anyone bought this kit of eBay?
If so is it fairing well?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333453490418

I'm looking at getting both front and rear wheels with a 1500w motor, most likely make my own battery pack.
Thanks
FATBOY2000

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Those 1500w motors are direct drive rather than geared hubs. As such they are renown for being very heavy on batteries. At low speed or on hills they are inefficient and will turn a lot of power drawn from the battery into heat. So good only on flat rides with little stop start and at speed. The battery needs to have top quality high amp cells and a maximum current capability of 1.5 times the maximum current delivery of the controller in order to avoid voltage sag and cell damage.
To run two motors you will need two controllers making the battery even bigger/heavier.
Now, lets mention legality, 'cos if I don't someone else will. A 1500w motor is not legal as a pedalec and, because of physical size, is impossible to diguise. The speed at which it will run will also make it illegal. To be legal it would need to be type approved, registered and insured as a moped. It would still be limited to 15.5mph and you would need to wear a motorcycle helmet and ride on roads only.
Two motors is just plain illegal, no wiggle room.
Given the weight of the battery and motors and the speed/power you're after, why not just go and buy an electric motorbike?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Amoto65

FATBOY2000

May 19, 2020
Those 1500w motors are direct drive rather than geared hubs. As such they are renown for being very heavy on batteries. At low speed or on hills they are inefficient and will turn a lot of power drawn from the battery into heat. So good only on flat rides with little stop start and at speed. The battery needs to have top quality high amp cells and a maximum current capability of 1.5 times the maximum current delivery of the controller in order to avoid voltage sag and cell damage.
To run two motors you will need two controllers making the battery even bigger/heavier.
Now, lets mention legality, 'cos if I don't someone else will. A 1500w motor is not legal as a pedalec and, because of physical size, is impossible to diguise. The speed at which it will run will also make it illegal. To be legal it would need to be type approved, registered and insured as a moped. It would still be limited to 15.5mph and you would need to wear a motorcycle helmet and ride on roads only.
Two motors is just plain illegal, no wiggle room.
Given the weight of the battery and motors and the speed/power you're after, why not just go and buy an electric motorbike?
Honestly I just figured seeing as I'm fat I would need the motors to get that extra push to get any real climbing ability lol.
Thanks for letting me know I'm a newbie to ebikes.

I wouldn't mind building a electric motor bike at some point when I get used to the electronics side of things.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Honestly I just figured seeing as I'm fat I would need the motors to get that extra push to get any real climbing ability lol.
Thanks for letting me know I'm a newbie to ebikes.

I wouldn't mind building a electric motor bike at some point when I get used to the electronics side of things.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Have a look at Woosh bikes kits, specifically the BPM. These are torquey geared hub motors and seriously good at hills. They are specced for the larger person.
Whilst not strictly legal ('cos it's rated either at 350w or 500w - I don't remember) it does at least look the part. Combined with a controller limited to 15.5mph you're unlikely to have an issue.

Reactions: FATBOY2000

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Woosh front BPM is 250w, but the rear is indeed 350w. There is a list with torque etc a little down the page https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits. The FATG06 has more torque than the BPM but remains a legal 250W.

FAT G065.1kgs 160mm freewheel 65NMBAFANG G06 250W rear motor wheel for fat bikes, available with or without 26" rim

Reactions: FATBOY2000

FATBOY2000

May 19, 2020
Have a look at Woosh bikes kits, specifically the BPM. These are torquey geared hub motors and seriously good at hills. They are specced for the larger person.
Whilst not strictly legal ('cos it's rated either at 350w or 500w - I don't remember) it does at least look the part. Combined with a controller limited to 15.5mph you're unlikely to have an issue.
Nice thanks for the information I'll delve into this this weekend. Seems peeps are starting to sell all those impulse bike buys so I'll be getting something nice in the next week or two.

FATBOY2000

May 19, 2020
The Woosh front BPM is 250w, but the rear is indeed 350w. There is a list with torque etc a little down the page https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits. The FATG06 has more torque than the BPM but remains a legal 250W.

FAT G065.1kgs 160mm freewheel 65NMBAFANG G06 250W rear motor wheel for fat bikes, available with or without 26" rim
Nice one cheers buddy I'll look into the different models to get the best suited.