Fatso needs assistance on hills.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Hi everyone.

I am thinking of getting a pedelec but the more I read the more confused I become.

I plan to get one via cycle2work but this will mean I am stuck with Halfords limited range.
The Ebco seems to get good reviews but its hub driven and only 24v and because I am 100 kg I wonder if it would help me up hills. My commute to work has minimal hills but would it just be a waste of money?

I would just stick with my Giant MTB but a back injury a couple of years back results in my back being in pain for days after a hard ride and the weight I have gained means I also end up gasping for breath and a stick below the ribs if I do attempt a proper hill.

I'm basically a wreck and I was hoping some electric assistance would mean I can reduce car usage again.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have the right idea. An electric bike will make cycling much easier, so that you'll want to do it more, which will build up your fitness.

The Cycle to Work Scheme complicates things because it narrows down your choice. The Woosh Sirocco CD might suit you. Change the handlebars to Raleigh North Road for a more comfortable riding position. They do something like CTW scheme, so give them a call.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Hi thanks for the reply. Leisure lake bikes say they can get me a Powabyke x 24 on the C2W scheme so I am going there tomorrow to have a look around.

I rang the very helpful Electric transport shop in Cambridge and they said a hub driven bike would do what I want but the quality of the motor is key. Are there any key words I should look out for to help me tell if a motor is decent?

D

Deleted member 4366

Nothing much wrong with that bike as long as you don't want to go far. I think it was Electric Bike Magazine that said that 10 miles was about the maximum before a re-charge if you don't pedal hard; however, your flatter journeys should allow it to go further than that. It has a 6aH battery, whereas most bikes have 9aH or more. Bear this in mind if distance is important.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Are there any key words I should look out for to help me tell if a motor is decent?
....yea....36volt.

I have had 2 brand new Urban Mover UM44 U Sprite ebikes..never a minutes bother with either in 2 years
and 5000 miles.
...the power is always on, while I struggle to get 30 miles on a charge but 25 miles is easy.
....and I mean easy.
...both bikes cost less than 1K each...never even a puncture with Shwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.

.........you can now buy a Fast4Ward Ride 36 from the same stable for £1000 so why are you considering an X bike ?

...while in Cambridge make sure you check out the Woosh Sirocco CD