Faulty freewheel

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Over the past few weeks I noticed when pedalling moderate to hard that occasionally the sprocket would jump, I thought it was the derailer not aligned properly and the chain jumping gears, but today I discovered what the real problem was - cycling home in near freezing temperatures (it's now below 0 outside) the freewheel in the sprocket stopped working properly, every so often it would just spin when I tried to pedal, resulting in the chain coming off and getting completely stuck between the sprocket & frame. I had to 'hobble' the last mile back, throttle on the flat & walking up the hills :(

Is the freewheel in the sprocket fixable or should I replace it? if I can, because of the power cable going in through the middle of it all. I have wanted a lower low gear for a while now to help with the really steep hills when I'm carrying extra kilos in the panniers.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The freewheel is part of the set of cogs and designed to be consumable. From what I have read it's not worth trying to service the freewheel part, just order a whole new one with the gears you want and bin the old one.
If you want a megarange to provide a lower gear then your rear mech needs to be compatible and have a long cage, personally I ditched the megarange and got a smaller chainring instead as ideally the greatest choice of gears should be at the bottom. I found with megarange I was often hunting for the missing gear between 1 and 2.