Faulty hall sensors or faulty controller?

James M

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there, I own an electric bike, had it a few years now and it has clocked up a few miles over the laast 2 and half years, been reliable.

Few weeks ago though the wheel stated jerking and vibrating loudly. It was an electric conversion kit. 24v 250watt.

I opened the wheel and changed all three hall sensors, after a ball ache of a time, it still makes the horrendous vibrating noise whilst spinning at probably 50% of its capability.

So now I am wondering if it is the controller?

Also as my bike is 24v 250watt, what would be the implecations of using say a 36v 250watt controller?

Any help would be great.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi James,

You need to check that the halls are switching correctly.

You need to measure the voltage across each one by placing a voltmeter across the phase wire and the earth wire going to the halls, repeat for each one.

After switching on the power, manually rotate the wheel slowly and the meter should switch between 1v and 5v as you rotate the wheel.

If they do not operate correctly then you could have a broken wire in the motor cable.

James M

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2014
Hi James,

You need to check that the halls are switching correctly.

You need to measure the voltage across each one by placing a voltmeter across the phase wire and the earth wire going to the halls, repeat for each one.

After switching on the power, manually rotate the wheel slowly and the meter should switch between 1v and 5v as you rotate the wheel.

If they do not operate correctly then you could have a broken wire in the motor cable.
Thankyou for the reply.

Correct me if I'm wrong, what you're saying is I need to hook everything up as normal, then place the voltmeter on the ground 'black' wire of the hall sensor and on one of the 3 phase wires, 'green, yellow, blue' then manually rotate the wheel for the reading?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi James,

Yes that is correct, they need to be powered up by the 5v generated by the controller.
Hall devices electrically switch in the presence of a magnetic field, by slowly turning the wheel they will switch the output circuit on and off producing the change in voltage on the Hall sensor wire.

Last edited: