Fed up with my Kalkhoff - definitely getting Bosch system next time - but thinking Ribble - please talk me out of it!

Scottish David

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2020
I have a Kalkhoff which I've had for under three years but it has let me down so many times it is going back under 'sale of goods', 'not fit for purpose'. I'm on my third battery, second motor, third display unit (which needs replacing again) second control switch (which now doesn't work at all) and all whilst being looked after and serviced properly. Unfortunately it is the Impulse System and I now realise if I'd researched properly I would never have purchased.

So, replacement on the cards and I am definitely going Bosch this time. And then I come across Ribble Electric Hybrid and I am taken by the look and the lightweight concept. But obviously it isn't Bosch.

So, thoughts please. I am willing to be talked out of it.

Anyone with experience of Ribble - what happens about servicing and repairs if you live 200 miles from their nearest outlet.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you can do your own regular bike servicing then you should consider an ebike with standard Chinese motor, controller etc. The Bosch are pretty reliable, but very expensive if things do go wrong one out of warranty.

I don't know anything about Ribble from my own knowledge, I've seen some good comments about them on this forum.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Ribble is based on the ebikemotion system. I have the equivalent (an Orbea Gain), and from what I read of Bosch designs the ebikemotion-based bikes are considerably lighter but less powerful (still 250W but less torque I believe), and also less range due to the smaller, lighter battery.

If you're only after 'light' assistance on a light bike then the Ribble will be lovely - almost a normal bike feeling, but if you're expecting 100% help up a hill then the ebikemotion system isn't for you.

The Orbea blurb sums it up nicely - 'enhances your ride, not dominates it'.