Fiido D11 Folding e-bike - A sort of review

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The kickstand scratch is likely the left crank hitting it when the stand is down and the pedals are rotated backwards (mine has the same scratch - self inflicted!).

The chain being off and the gearing slightly misaligned could be the box being manhandled during delivery - easily sorted (lots of youtube vids on derailleur fine tuning). So many bike-makers use far less packaging/padding now compared to even just a couple of years ago (so my local bike store tells me; one brand uses no in-box packing at all anymore, just strips of masking tape where the paint would otherwise rub against the inside of the box!).

Fiido say recommended rider height is 5' to 6'5". Most of the actual user reviews though suggest 5'3" to 5'10" being more realistic. You should be fine if your leg extension is right. My own pics above show the saddle height for me at 5'10". You shouldn't need to set yours so low.

Always good to hear another owners views/perspective. Let us know how you get on.

atlas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 15, 2022
Leamington-Spa
I'm considering it, but I'm 6ft 3 and worried it will be too small for me. Any other tall riders out there who can tell about their experience or suggest other options in this price range?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm considering it, but I'm 6ft 3 and worried it will be too small for me. Any other tall riders out there who can tell about their experience or suggest other options in this price range?
Member @Deno at 6'3" rode his dads D21, which is the same bike but with a Torque Sensor instead of a Cadence sensor. His comments are here.

I think fit is very much a personal thing. I'm 5'10" and added a riser bar to increase handlebar height and reach to suit my own fit/preference. If you can, trying one would be best.

atlas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 15, 2022
Leamington-Spa
Thank you. That's good to know.
Did you ever try to take your D11 on a train. How does it behave when folded?
Do you use any aditional straps if for example you want to push it along a platform? Would both wheel spin and go in a straight line?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Did you ever try to take your D11 on a train. How does it behave when folded?
That was the specific purpose for which the bike was bought. I have other e-bikes for leisure.

I've covered this elsewhere, but broadly my commute is a 2 mile cycle to station, Thameslink train into London, 2 mile cycle across London, then Greater Anglia train out to Norfolk, then a 4 mile cycle to my destination... each way (but not every day). The idea to buy this bike was to save the delay, cost, and erratic nature of trying to get a Taxi at the Norfolk end as, unlike in major cities, most are pre-booked for most of the day days in advance, and there are no busses.

I use a single bungee cord to strap the whole bike together. It trolleys well along a platform (see video in post #1). For my purpose it was the lightest folding e-bike that trolleyed, with the best battery range (11.6Ah/417Wh) and 20" wheels I could find at low cost. I charge it on the train too.

For this use I find it works very well.

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
That was the specific purpose for which the bike was bought. I have other e-bikes for leisure.

I've covered this elsewhere, but broadly my commute is a 2 mile cycle to station, Thameslink train into London, 2 mile cycle across London, then Greater Anglia train out to Norfolk, then a 4 mile cycle to my destination... each way (but not every day). The idea to buy this bike was to save the delay, cost, and erratic nature of trying to get a Taxi at the Norfolk end as, unlike in major cities, most are pre-booked for most of the day days in advance, and there are no busses.

I use a single bungee cord to strap the whole bike together. It trolleys well along a platform (see video in post #1). For my purpose it was the lightest folding e-bike that trolleyed, with the best battery range (11.6Ah/417Wh) and 20" wheels I could find at low cost. I charge it on the train too.

For this use I find it works very well.

Did you buy yours from Fiido.com 'cycle buddy?' Is it the site where everything is in dollars please? I ask as right now, they have a D11 at $899.00 so thats a good price I guess.
This review came at the right time, as I'm looking to get one after Christmas. It was this or the D4s, you have persuaded me to get the more expensive one. Another question is, clearly it is legal even with the throttle available on them?
Do you know the lead in time now, how long did you have to wait for yours. Big thanks to you again, Richard.

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
I received my Fiido D11 yesterday finally!

I charged up the battery and started unboxing the rest!

It had the kickstand scratched already a little annoying I assume during shipping!

The chain had also not been installed on the big pedal cog I think the technical name is crank so had to do that.

Everything else was fine nice and tight so took it for a test ride once battery was fully charged.

Initial impressions:

What I like:

This is my first ebike so very happy with the pedal assist and different modes and the throttle tried and loved both and even unassisted the bike pedals great as a normal bike.

The build quality and materials are good overall it feels solid.

It's very lightweight overall. Even with the battery installed.

Dislike:

The seat hurts my butt maybe I need to buy a gel cover for it.

There is no suspension so it feels firm. (My last bike from years ago a normal mountain bike with dual suspension was very comfortable lol).
Perhaps the new seat or cover will also fix this.

The brakes are a bit squeeky.

The seat for me is at the lowest position I can get it and it's still a bit too tall I'm 5'7 so anyone shorter might struggle my wife 5'2 i don't think will be able to ride it.

7th gear makes rattle/clicky clackty noise when pedalling the other gears are fine however so not to sure what to do to to try and fix this have emailed Fiido!
May I ask where you got you one from please my friend, and was was the delivery time you had to wait?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Did you buy yours from Fiido.com 'cycle buddy?'
Yes, here. Change the currency on the top-right of the page to show prices in £.

Fiido hold stock/have warehouses in Poland, US, UK etc... My D11 was shipped from their UK warehouse in Bath. Mine arrived by 48hr courier.

On my D11, the way the throttle is implemented is technically illegal in the UK as it works all the time. In truth, that's useful for a getting away more quickly at junctions etc, but if the legality of it bothers you, you can simply/easily unplug it. It may be that Fiido have now changed how it works to make it legal (restricted) as they certainly have on some of their other models.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That is absolutely brilliant and adds so much practicality to it too! You would think Fiido would offer it as an option!
Fiido have finally released their own official rear rack here for the D11/D21. Cost today is £48 against the Decathlon steel (1kg weight, 10kg loading) at £13 today, or the one in my own pics from Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress, aluminium (500gm weight, 25kg loading) at £20 today.

Fiido's official D11/21 rack:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice, neat & sturdy looking clean design.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Nice, neat & sturdy looking clean design.
Fiido's custom-made D11/21 rack certainly does look good and robust too, if a bit pricey relative to other generic racks.

But the more I look at it, the issues I have with this Fiido rack are ones of practicality, since there's invariably a reason why you'd need or want to add a rack to your bicycle.

Firstly, the platform is quite short (relative to the generic Amazon one I fitted). Fiido offer a similar stylish custom-made rack for their X model with an optional (really nice) clip-on 10L trunk bag. But as yet no custom-fit trunk bag is offered for this D11/21 rack (although it might yet be, or that same bag might also fit this rack - it doesn't say). But even then, a one-size-fits-all 10L trunk may suit many... but equally it may not.

For using generic accessories, there are precious few cross-members onto which to attach a generic bag, and there is no lower ring by the bike's axle onto which to hook a bungee cord or cargo net to keep your goodies firmly in place. Both the generic Decathlon and Amazon ones do, and the Amazon rack also adds a sprung clasp - useful for holding an over-jacket/waterproof etc on the fly.

The rack rides quite a bit higher than it needs to: My Amazon one has adjustable mounts, meaning I could mount it just high enough to clear the rear mudguard without the load being top-heavy. Alternatively, it could be jacked to a much higher position if clearance were needed for deep side panniers.

Maybe I'm being a bit picky, but this rack seems to be a triumph of form over function. A rack primarily needs to be practical and versatile, and this one just seems to me to be a bit too limiting especially if you want to use generic trunk bags, baskets, cargo-nets, bungee cords, straps, or panniers to firmly secure your load.

All of that seems to have been compromised for the sake of simply "looking good". It's a shame a little more thought wasn't put into it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking at it is likely only really suitable for the QR designed panniers of which there are several brands cheap and expensive to choose from, those that utilse a lower adjustable stay put clip.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Here're some useful YouTube videos from HomeLeHat - a Fiido D11 rider with 6000km on the clock. These are all quite recent, there are others he's done on his D11 and he may add more over time, but these are the ones that seem to answer the burning questions that other members have asked here on the forum.

Useful Fiido D11/21 how-to Upgrade videos:

Chainwheel:
Upgrading the 52 tooth Chainwheel to a 58 tooth for increased pedalling speed here.

Gearing: Upgrading Shimano Tourney to Shimano Altus rear derailleur here.

Tyres: Upgrading the 20" x 1.75" tyres to 2.15" Schwalbe Big Apple, which appear here to be the widest size you can fit while still keeping the mudguards. Importantly, it demonstrates how you can remove the rear tube/tyre without disconnection of the motor cable (there is no separate motor connector - the motor is hard wired back to the controller box):
Front tyre here and Rear tyre here. Another video shows the ride difference on loose gravel.

Brake Calipers: Upgrading the generic mechanical disc brake calipers to Shimano M375 Front here Rear here. He does comment that Zoom Xtech HB100 semi hydraulic are probably the better upgrade (as I did).

Seat-post Battery Fix: A work-around on how to fix a broken battery seat-post once out of warranty where the saddle mounting bracket/cap starts to detach from the main battery post here (my own was replaced under warranty).

ovatsus

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2023
or the one in my own pics from Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress, aluminium (500gm weight, 25kg loading) at £20 today.
Can you share the link from where you got it? My first rack attempt from Amazon wasn't compatible, need to return it

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The supplier I used doesn't do it anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's this one.

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
This is a standard rack for a 20" wheeled bike. Decathlon sell one that's cheap and fits, but is steel and weighs 1kg. This is Aluminium Ali/Ebay/Amazon, weighs 500gms, and only costs a few pounds more. There are bosses in the frame which are threaded to accept the fixings supplied. The rack mountings were slightly modified to fit.

The Bungee cord in last photo isn't needed to hold the trunk bag on, but is used to strap the whole bike together tightly when folded and pushing the bike along.

View attachment 48757

View attachment 48758

View attachment 48759
I've been struggling to loop a bungee cord to hold it together and wondering if adding the rack will make it easier to lock when folded. Mine is very fiddly to do at the moment and not ideal for a quick lock/unlock on the platform.

Is there any chance you have a photo of the bike folded and how you loop the cords to keep the bike folded while pushing it please?
Was there sufficient space to screw in the rack bolts without removing the rear wheel? It looks like the mounts are on the inside of the forks.

Attachments

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've been struggling to loop a bungee cord to hold it together and wondering if adding the rack will make it easier to lock when folded. Mine is very fiddly to do at the moment and not ideal for a quick lock/unlock on the platform.

Is there any chance you have a photo of the bike folded and how you loop the cords to keep the bike folded while pushing it please?
Was there sufficient space to screw in the rack bolts without removing the rear wheel? It looks like the mounts are on the inside of the forks.
I use a larger bungee - see the one in my post #12, last photo - it's only over the trunk bag in that photo because I had a flask and lunch in there; usually it's just in the bag for when I need to fold the frame. It wraps a few times around the main part of the frame, not too fussy exactly where, the point being the frame is held tightly together. I've got a small block of foam that I wedge between the frame where you've put your elastic tie which helps keep the wheels straight/parallel. That bike's in Norfolk at the moment (and I'm not) otherwise I'd be happy to post a pic.

On the rack: At the top, yes it's a bit tricky mounting those arms, but is do-able. You can loosen off the wheel and slide it out a little without disconnecting wiring though if it helps (as I did when I changed tyres to Marathons). On the lower rack legs, you could mount them on the inner face of the frame too, but not with the supplied fixings I had (I found the bolt head too big and fouled the chain on the small/high gear although it seemed to be okay on the brake disc side).

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've always thought the D11 frame to be quite rigid, but maybe there is some flex in it...

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
In the interests of full disclosure, I thought I'd update this thread as I've owned this Fiido D11 e-bike for a year now.

Mileage isn't particularly high given lockdowns and now rail strikes, but here's what I've found good and bad about the Fiido D11 in that first year. It's used for an 8-mile commute each way using trains, but only once or twice every week, and less so with Covid and now strikes, so I drive instead.

I changed:
Handlebars: The reach on what is a small frame is a bit short for me at 5'10", so I added 2" riser bars (£23) which (with rotation) can increase/shorten reach and/or add height.
Grips: Everyone says the rubber is as hard as nails. I changed mine for soft leatherette (£10)
Brakes: The no-brand mechanical disc-brakes squealed a bit; sintered pads on cheap rotors. In truth, they work very well as they are. I changed these to Zoom semi-hydraulic (£24) which improved things a fair bit, but ideally I'd change the rotors too.
Pedals: Just a personal choice - all my bikes now have the same Wellgo platform pedals.
Tyres: Changed to Marathon Green (£15 each) - no-one needs a puncture mid-commute
De-restriction: I did - to 18mph, which is all the tiny Xiongda motor can give. A bit naughty, but on a commute you're not riding for pleasure, you're riding to get there.

I added:
An aluminium rack (£15) and trunk bag (£15).
A stem/handlebar mounted Bluetooth speaker (£15) so I can listen to Radio 4 (how sad am I?).

What's gone wrong?
The headset bearings became a very little loose. Some commented about "no grease" and shouted loudly on Media about how "disgusting", "poor" and "unfit for purpose" this was. In my view it's routine maintenance. On disassembly, the bearings were in fact very well greased, and the issue was the locking hex bolt had loosened off very, very slightly. I packed in some more grease and added a drop of lock-nut to the bolt, and that cured that.
Wheel spokes: Again, lots of whinging on social media about how crap the wheels/spokes are with spokes constantly loosening/braking. To my mind this is again routine maintenance. If you're on the heavy side (as I am) and ride rougher ground (as I do), regular checking is sensible. Three loose spokes after the first month. Two more in month 3. All rear wheel. Nothing since. It's a cheap bike with cheap wheels. IMHO these things are likely to happen.
Battery: Fiido had a problem with a batch of seat-post batteries where the end-cap (onto which the saddle is mounted), would open up. That happened to me in Week 51 of the 52 week warranty where a very small opening became visible. Not knowing if this was or would become serious, and given the warranty was about to expire, I emailed Fiido in case such a fault became catastrophic. They sent me a new seat-post battery. The existing battery to me still seems fine, and I still ride with it. Fiido CS I found impressively good.

This isn't a bike for everyone. Price has risen from slightly over £700 pre-Brexit, to £800 post-Brexit, and now £900 in this post-covid world of high inflation.

It's a relatively cheap bike, but I think fair value. With very minor TLC, it's been a solid, reliable and dependable performer, at least thus far. And Fiido service has been exemplary.

So much for the "it's inferior Chinese rubbish" and "there's no back-up or support if you buy on-line" and "you'll never get spare parts for it" theorists. That hasn't been my own personal experience at all. Fiido's CS response is very good, warranty claims handled well, and all the spares you'll ever need are openly available to buy on their own web-site.

The only caveats I see in buying a Fiido of any description is that there are very few places in the UK you can see or try them before purchase, and I'd guess that's because there isn't any dealer profit to be made in selling them. So it does require a leap of faith. And there won't be a dealer around every corner who knows the brand or will willingly help you if you're not able to manage the maintenance yourself.

Otherwise I'd say the Fiido D11 is a solid buy: One year in and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Do you have a link to the trunk bag please? Does it attach to the seatpost natively or did you have to figure out how to attach it?