Help! Fiido D4S for heavy rider (145kg), and derestricting it.

belfastbiker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2021
Aiming to get a Fiido D4S @ 145kg... won't be taking it off-road, off kerbs, over any rough terrain, and I'll obviously pump tyres up hard and swap tyres for Marathons.

Hills is the main area I'll need electric power, I'm aware I'll still have to do a fair bit of effort (but less than a normal bike, even 30% easier will be a godsend) but I'm wondering, if I derestrict the top speed, does that have an effect on pulling power at all?

Also, I know manufacturers err on the side of caution, but if I'm careful, am I still gonna destroy this little bike until I lose a lot of kg?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Derestricting speed just eats into the battery range more.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I personally think you'd probably be okay with a D4s if handled with some care - it's a great bike for the money and easily fixable if anything goes wrong.

There's also the Samebike 20LVXD30 worth considering: It looks broadly similar to the Fiido - 20" wheel, folding - but has an increased 150kg payload, a more powerful 350 watt motor and 48 volt 10Ah battery, with front fork and seat suspension for not a great deal more money - about £750 last time I looked. De-restricted, it goes to a claimed 35kph. A 48v/350w drive will noticeably carry more weight with ease against the D4S's 36v/250w.

Reactions: belfastbiker

belfastbiker

Aug 14, 2021
There's also the Samebike 20LVXD30 worth considering.
That looks very like the 36V/250W Ancheer I was also looking at, which had a 150kg limit also. The more I hear about lack of police involvement, the more I wonder if I should just ignore the law, and go for the likes of this one instead....

Tank you for this option!

EDIT: Seems sold out everywhere in UK, but on Ali Express with the largest seller for £570 incl delivery and shipping from China.... EU sourced shipping seems unavailable for many things on AliE - thanks Brexit...

Only ever bought a 3D printer from aliE, although that was fine. I guess all these bikes ultimately are from China....

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
At 145kg, you can forget about derestricting it. I doubt that you'll ever get past 15 mph unless you want to ride over Beachy Head, but you'd still reach 100 mph whether derestricted or not, so still no point.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Power is gained by increasing current or opting for more voltage using slightly less current, derestricting is about gaining speed.

belfastbiker

Aug 14, 2021
I really think you'll find the D4s not enough and I would worry about it coping with 145kgs given the build quality. the M1 pro is about 200 quid more but far sturdier. it comes locked to 25kmh max.
I hear ya, and if money wasn't as tight....

Reactions: djneils98

belfastbiker

Aug 14, 2021
the ADO A20 might be an alternative
Looking into it now, cheers. :) EDIT: Still scared of using a 350W ebike on UK roads, although I gather most cops don't really care as long as you're not acting the loon.... That looks identical to the
Samebike 20LVXD30?

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The ADO A20 has a rated 120kg load and a 36v drive system like the D4S, the Samebike a 150kg load and a 48v system. A 48v system is going to give you more oomph given your weight.

I've had occasional 130kg-ish total loads (inc. me) on my Fiido D11 which like the A20 & D4S is a 36v/250w 120kg payload. Provided you're prepared to put in some effort as you say you are, and don't let the motor labour at low speeds for prolonged periods it seems to cope fine... but a 48v/150kg bike would be a better choice for regular use I think in your situation.

Samebike have a UK distribution centre: I'm told they've run out of everything, but more are currently being made.

belfastbiker

Aug 14, 2021
Samebike have a UK distribution centre: I'm told they've run out of everything, but more are currently being made.

Yeah, can't see stock at mo, and looking to buy next week. Also, the position of the shifters vs the elec controls, is just bizarre, no way I can reach shifters without reaching over, and as a v.heavy bloke with an ass that has it's own gravitational field, I use shifters often.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I did notice that. It is an odd arrangement with the display on the right. But you probably could swap the display and shifter around perhaps?