Finally- got my Ebike!

Geoff W

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2015
A few months ago, I posted my one and only post on my dilemma living in Cyprus and being interested in purchasing an Ebike. I was only able to try here an unknown make, Chinese rear hub bike. I enjoyed this but realized that the bike was a poor example. We have only one man on the island who owns a bike shop and is familiar with Ebikes but he does not stock any, as there is no demand here. Because of this I was unable to have a test ride on anything of quality. On our annual trip back to the UK to escape the heat, while in the Scottish Highlands I managed to try two bikes, a ladies Giant rear hub and a Haibike MTB. The Haibike showed me this was the way to go. While stopping with relatives in the midlands, I took a trip to Onbike in Worcester. Martin there was excellent allowing me to try two MTB’s, one of which was a Haibike. I was ready to buy this one there and then but only if they were able to get the bike to Cyprus at a reasonable cost. This proved impossible as the couriers they deal with were quoting ridiculous sums. So back to square one! On my return to Cyprus I contacted the guy here to see what he could do. He is a dealer here for Moustache, talks to the guys in France regularly and his personal bike is a Bosch drive bike. So I took the decision, with much trepidation, to buy blind a 2016 series yellow Samedi 27/9 OFF bike. Moustache had bought forward the build date for these bikes and the bike was ready for dispatch. So three weeks later I have now just took delivery. The bike is all I hoped for. Build quality seems excellent and on my only ride so far I have been very pleased with the way it goes, especially its hill climbing ability. There are less than a dozen ebikes on the island and mine is the only one of these, so I am nearly unique!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am nearly unique and almost a virgin.

Reactions: oldtom

The Cycle Tourist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2014
Australia
thecycletourist.com
A few months ago, I posted my one and only post on my dilemma living in Cyprus and being interested in purchasing an Ebike. I was only able to try here an unknown make, Chinese rear hub bike. I enjoyed this but realized that the bike was a poor example. We have only one man on the island who owns a bike shop and is familiar with Ebikes but he does not stock any, as there is no demand here. Because of this I was unable to have a test ride on anything of quality. On our annual trip back to the UK to escape the heat, while in the Scottish Highlands I managed to try two bikes, a ladies Giant rear hub and a Haibike MTB. The Haibike showed me this was the way to go. While stopping with relatives in the midlands, I took a trip to Onbike in Worcester. Martin there was excellent allowing me to try two MTB’s, one of which was a Haibike. I was ready to buy this one there and then but only if they were able to get the bike to Cyprus at a reasonable cost. This proved impossible as the couriers they deal with were quoting ridiculous sums. So back to square one! On my return to Cyprus I contacted the guy here to see what he could do. He is a dealer here for Moustache, talks to the guys in France regularly and his personal bike is a Bosch drive bike. So I took the decision, with much trepidation, to buy blind a 2016 series yellow Samedi 27/9 OFF bike. Moustache had bought forward the build date for these bikes and the bike was ready for dispatch. So three weeks later I have now just took delivery. The bike is all I hoped for. Build quality seems excellent and on my only ride so far I have been very pleased with the way it goes, especially its hill climbing ability. There are less than a dozen ebikes on the island and mine is the only one of these, so I am nearly unique!
Hi
My wife and I are planning to travel to Cyprus for 3 months from early February and want to take our Haibike Trekking e-bikes. The cost to take the bikes with us on our flight is ok but the problem is getting the batteries there with the ban on flying with them and the crazy cost of shipping them separately. Do you know anyone that we can borrow/rent two batteries from for this period? Have has no response from Cyprus bikes dealers.

Geoff W

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Hi, I'm afraid that I will not be much of much help. First of all, I'm not surprised that you did not get a response from the dealers, in general Cypriot businesses, although they may have email addresses, are notorious for not using them. If we need to contact anyone we always phone.
I can guarantee there is no where you could get spare batteries from. Of the quality makes of Ebikes, there are probably less than a dozen on the island ( mine is the only one of its type by Moustache) so there is no demand. As an aside, I was under the impression that it is only when the battery is split from the bike that it becomes hazardous, when attached to the bike it is not so. Anyway, I have three suggestions, however that depends on where you are stopping in Cyprus. I live in the Paphos area so two are relevant to this. You can always ship the bikes here and back separately in a container. If you Google LHUKCY, you will see details of a guy who brings stuff over from the UK to Cyprus ( and the other way) via container. A bike would be fairly cheap I would think. Depending on his schedules, that may fit in with your holidays. Paphos is where I hired the Chinese Ebike, so I'm sure you could arrange long term rental if you fancied that. Be aware they are cheap and cheerful rear hub bikes. See cyprus ebike.com. Other than that, rent normal bikes!