firmare update

yycwrangler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2019
Greetings from canada

Have a cube reaction 500 2018..Had it in for it's first major tuneup last week..Did 42km on it yesterday and I just felt that the assist wasn't there as much as before the tuneup and firmware update. I have a steep hill in my ride and usually did it in EMTB..yesterday it took me turbo to get up it as EMTB didn't feel like it was assisting at all. Never know maybe my fitness level fell over the past month when I wasn't riding due to the weather. Not convinced it's that.

has anyone else updated to the latest firmware and noticed any changes in assistance

last question..can the firmware be downgraded to my previous version which was great

Cheers
Al
Calgary, Canada

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
I know personally if i had a month off the bike it takes i good week of cycling to get back the fitness from before
I can feel a difference after 2 weeks not that it happens very often
As for the update i dont know anything about that sorry

SAN

Feb 3, 2019
In the German pedelc forum it has been some discussion about firmware
PowerPack: 1.8.0.0, Drive Unit: 1.8.0.0 and Drive Unit: 1.8.3.0. The discussion has been about the range calculactions and Bosch confirms that here has been changes.
If you read theese threads there are more info. Some says that Drive Unit: 1.8.3.0 has been withdrawned. But as you can see it's till on the Bosch overview.
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/nach-bosch-update-weniger-reichweite.61658/
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/performance-cx-software-versionen-für-motor-und-akku.26850/page-18

I'm hesitating upgrading to 1.8.X.X before before more clarifacation of what this actually means.

yycwrangler

Mar 30, 2019
through google translate, it sure seems like they are having the same problems as we are in North America. One of my biggest concerns is how rapidly the battery seems to deplete. Actually had to ride my last km without assistance last week

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I think you'r right..Yesterday did 20km's and felt better..Bike still creaks when I pedal and not when coast so will have to get that looked at. As for finding the latest firmware, found a Bosch site that lists..Here it is

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/software-updates/
I hope Giant get to updating their software too, as I have just ordered a Trance Pro E+3 and by all accounts the rider one link to a smart phone is anything but!

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I had mine updated a couple of weeks ago. The main reason was to get rid of the EMTB mode and put SPORT back on. This was just a case of ticking a box, sport or emtb.
I was told that part of the update involved some sort of algorithm for detecting if the motor had been chipped with a dongle by detecting overstress but I don't believe that this is possible.
I have done 200miles since the update and have not noticed any change in battery longevity.

yycwrangler

Mar 30, 2019
interesting..my wife's was updated with sport instead of EMTB and she hated it..Said that there was no extra oomph going from tour to sport..Had it switched to EMTB and it has made the world of difference for her.

ON the last update, I initially thought that my battery didn't seem to have the charge that it did prior to the update. But I now feel it may be more accurate. I never believed on a full charge I would be able to get 120km on lowest setting. Now the unit seems to calculate my riding habits and presents battery longevity more accurately..Maybe I'm just hallucinating..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0451.JPG
:p

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
interesting..my wife's was updated with sport instead of EMTB and she hated it..Said that there was no extra oomph going from tour to sport..Had it switched to EMTB and it has made the world of difference for her.

ON the last update, I initially thought that my battery didn't seem to have the charge that it did prior to the update. But I now feel it may be more accurate. I never believed on a full charge I would be able to get 120km on lowest setting. Now the unit seems to calculate my riding habits and presents battery longevity more accurately..Maybe I'm just hallucinating..
That is interesting as the four original modes had definite levels of assistance. Going from Tour to EMTB and keeping the same amount of torque on the pedals should see no increase as the three stages of EMTB assistance depend on pedal pressure. I wanted more assistance without pedalling harder so I revertdd to Sport.
Also, I found that with maximum pressure on the pedals in EMTB mode (tested going up a 1:3 hill) there was still an immediate increase in assistance when switching up to Turbo. Allegedly EMTB should go up to Turbo.

SAN

Feb 3, 2019
With Nyon and E-conncect and the default custom ride modes you can see the powercurves. Eco= 80%, Tour=155%, Sport=235% and Turbo=310%. As you can see the support goes down at 19 km/h.Assist.PNG
I've been experiencing with the custom modes on the same route but have gone back to default values. The route is 67 km on mostly gravel roads with a total climb of approx. 1000 meters. What you put in yourself is of course decisive for the range, in my case mostly in Eco and Tour mode. But DON'T forget the cadence, instead of choosing a higher support mode. As the curve below shows, as with my Bosch CX, the sweet spot is between 80-90. For some that is very high, as for mee too at 60 years. But I'm trying not to fall below 75. My experience on the route is that low cadence on higher support modes increase the power consumption.
POWERSCadence.jpg

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Also, I found that with maximum pressure on the pedals in EMTB mode (tested going up a 1:3 hill) there was still an immediate increase in assistance when switching up to Turbo. Allegedly EMTB should go up to Turbo.
I used to think this was the case too. It took me several months before my general fitness and leg strength was sufficient to press hard enough on the pedals in EMTB mode to not see a difference when switching to Turbo. Its surprising just how hard one has to press in EMTB mode to get the full assistance that matches Turbo mode.

I actually thought my bike might have been faulty when I first bought it due to the difference I was seeing between EMTB and Turbo, it was only when I read somewhere about how hard one needed to press did I realise I did not have the leg strength to get the most out of the EMTB mode.

Related Articles

Advertisers