First Aid Kits

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
First - apologies if this has been extensively debated before. I have tried using search, but searching on "first+aid" returns nothing, while "first aid" returns thousands of posts with either the word first in them, or the word aid, so I probably need a tutorial on using the search function a bit more inteligently!

Back to first aid kits - I`m about to put together a small waterproof box of first aid supplies to live in my pannier so I canto patch myself up should the need arise.

As I have mentioned before, my other main obsession is whitewater kayaking and I usually carry a first aid kit in the stern of my kayak on river trips, although in almost all cases I paddle with other kayakers and we ensure we have suitable safety and rescue kit between us.

My Kayak first aid kit contains:

Some mixed size plasters (waterproof)
Couple of blister plasters
Steristrip adhesive stitches & wound closure dressings
Antiseptic wipes
Baby wipes
Folded sheets of quality kitchen roll
A crepe bandage & pins
A triangular bandage / sling
4 or 5 small sanitary towels in a waterproof bag
2-3 meter length of 2 inch gaffer tape rolled flat around a business card
Half a dozen 9 inch cable ties
A small roll of electrical tape
Small straight bladed knife
Small pair of scissors
Paracetamol
Glucose tablets

To date I have never used any bandages or plasters, but the gaffer tape and electrical tape have been called upon often to stem blood loss on knuckles and protect blisters on cold wet hands. The steristrips have been used on my nose after a close encounter with a boulder underwater! The sanitary towels are a recommendation from a coach as something cheap and absobent which can be gaffer taped over a wound in an emergency, or a couple rolled and used either side of something still embedded in a wound! The cable ties can be used to help stabilise an arm with dislocated shoulder combined with the starps a paddler usually has on their bouyancy aid.

(I also carry a small repair kit, which is the kayaking equivalent of a spare inner tube, tyre levers, pump etc, plus torches, glowsticks, emergency phone, foil blanket and some other safety equipment such as ropes and carabinas, group shelter, spare dry clothes etc which dont all have a cycling comparison)

So - I`m thinking of a similar list of ingredients for my pannier first aid kit.

Do you carry one?
Have you had cause to "use it in anger" ?
Is there anything else people have found usefull and added to theirs?

All the best

Bob_about

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Not an April Fools Post

How about a calender with todays date clearly marked :rolleyes:
To be clear - my post and list of items is not an April Fool joke - I do carry said items in the back of my kayak.

I was just wondering if the inventive folk on here had any other non standard items to suggest - I always find the little kits you buy ready done of limited use in real situations outdoors.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
That's a pretty comprehensive list already compiled.

I do a lot of remote rural trail riding. It's not unusual to have the chain wrenched off when riding through long grass, so I always carry a couple of pairs of surgical gloves. There's no point spending the rest of the day with oily hands.

It has just been revealed that those of us in our sixties and seventies are beginning to have serious problems with skin cancer, this being a result of sun damage sustained in earlier years, so a tube of factor 50 sunscreen wouldn't go amiss. Likewise, riding glasses that give protection against both UVC and UVA rays.

A twenty links length of compatible chain together with several snap connectors and a multitool having a good chain-breaker, my favourite is the Crank Brothers M17.

It seems the calender is not required. :eek:

All the best
Bob.

Last edited:

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Hi bob_about, I'm with you - When my horse was young and unco-ordinated he occasionally used to over-reach and step on his front heel with his hind foot and cause a fairly nasty wound. But I always used a sanitary pad as a dressing, stuck on with lashings of electrical tape. Worked very well, being clean and absorbent and the "one-way dry-weave topsheet" used to keep any gunge inside so it didn't stick to the wound.

We also used contact lens saline as a sterile wound wash, especially for punture wounds and it always seemed fine, unless anyone can tell me otherwise? Try and find the ones without preservative or anything nasty in them.

The chemical cold packs (where you pop an internal pouch and mix to generate chill) can be very useful too.

But maybe the latter two are a bit cumbersome?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
No ibuprofen? Taken with Paracetemol makes for one of best over the counter pain killer money can buy!

I never go snowboarding without at least a weeks worth of both. Has kept me boarding with brused ribs...

The only problem is trying to buy them in quantity. Most shops these days seem to think it is against the law to sell more than two packs of pain killers.