First confrontation.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
As I've posted before, it's our fault we get called cheats.

It's because as well as using pedals we still call them bikes, bicycles, cycles and call it cycling, even officialdom joining in by terming them EAPCs (Electric Assist Pedal Cycles).

If they had another name, (Moped was the ideal one before it got stolen by things that don't have pedals) we wouldn't get accused of cheating.
Gotta disagree
But as we have had this dance before I’m stepping out before we start :)lol

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
I've gotten it from some psycho cyclist who I run into on my commute. He told me that I had a 'machine between my legs', I asked him 'did your wife tell you that' and rode away. He has it in for me now, its actually funny, now I blow him a kiss which really riles him up.

Others sometimes mention 'cheating' but I find that if you engage in conversation they are actually just interested in the bike etc. and it generally just goes from there. I get it in work from people who commute by car too, which is just funny when you point it out.

Either way, I wouldn't go taking offence to these comments, its not generally worth the energy imo. Sticks and stones and all that.

Reactions: rexel1 and Artstu

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I get it in work from people who commute by car too, which is just funny when you point it out.
I’ve had that too lol

I normally reply “And how did you get here ? “

• Agree
Reactions: Deno

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
" Well mate, your wife seems very impressed by it, I'm not the only one cheating " wink wink. * rides off in turbo mode *

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Here's how to handle the situation the northern way

"cheater!"
"And?" (Arms raised)
*Crash into brick wall due to thinking you can no hander and protest at the same time

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I’ve gone down one word answer route (maybe two)

I like the following responses to Cheat ! Or That’s cheating etc

“Nope , commuting”
“Ok, bye-bye”
‘Just travelling? “
“Having fun!”

With a cheery smile mostly

If you got a dongled bike, they are very rude and you feel childish and Viz like then you might try

“With yer Mum!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gaz

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I've had one woman yell at me that I "was cheating" as I coasted down the street. I stopped and started a good-natured conversation about how you have to pedal to move. She was very interested in the bike, and some two weeks later I saw her cycling down the street on a Raleigh Motus. Give people have a chance and they'll probably see the wisdom in owning a pedelec.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think it is almost an involuntary reaction for some folk that havn't experienced riding an electric bike to see someone seemingly coasting effortlessly up an incline with a smile on their face, to react as they often do. As you experienced Steve, Those open minded enough to see the merits do, and the others just keep struggling on regardless.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I was out a while ago on my ebike, passed a buxom mid 30s blonde scorcher who said I was cheating. I was pleasant to her and followed with a nice long chat about the benefits of ebiking. Things naturally moved on to a suggestion of popping off together to a country pub for a few drinks to continue the chat, after that was invited back to hers and spent the rest of the weekend at her place, suffice to say I didn't get any sleep, she kept me at it, dunno where she got the energy from, wow. What a cracking time I had, all brought about by an cheating shout out. So embrace the criticism with a chat back, might work out great like it did with me.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
I've still yet to experience a properly negative reaction from any cyclist. I did once have a car driver shout 'get a real bike you xxxx...', to which I shouted back that it was closer to a real bike than his.

There's definitely a few roadies that won't acknowledge a nod of the head, but not sure if that's just the MTB vs roadie thing rather than an e-bike thing [emoji23]

Sent from my Power_3 using Tapatalk

Coffee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
I pointed at a colleagues derailleur and 7 geared cassette, I told him that must make life easier.

Only a fixie rider gets to call me a cheat!! ;)

Free wheel, what ever next. :p

Reactions: Steve Bowles

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I was out a while ago on my ebike, passed a buxom mid 30s blonde scorcher who said I was cheating. I was pleasant to her and followed with a nice long chat about the benefits of ebiking. Things naturally moved on to a suggestion of popping off together to a country pub for a few drinks to continue the chat, after that was invited back to hers and spent the rest of the weekend at her place, suffice to say I didn't get any sleep, she kept me at it, dunno where she got the energy from, wow. What a cracking time I had, all brought about by an cheating shout out. So embrace the criticism with a chat back, might work out great like it did with me.
And then a car honked his horn awaking you from your daydream......

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I get it at the bike shop all the time my response is ill buy a proper bike when I have the money. I was out riding the other month and two blokes on racers passed me on the strait peddling like mad. One said all rite pal as they passed. There was a nice big climb up ahead and I just kept my pace. I passed them quarter of the way up and said see ya pal. He shouted you fxxxxxg bxxxxxd and I laughed at him. I had a look at the top and they were still only half way up. I had plenty of juice left after the hill so didn't see them again. It's only cheating if you want it to be a fair contest and I'm not competing because I know my bike is faster in the long run

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Let's face it. We're not roadies, nor would we want to be. They can keep their Lycra, 7-ounce £14,000 racing bikes and the pain ointment that goes with it. I'm climbing hills on my ebike that I would have to walk otherwise; and anything over £50 is a proper bike.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree. My days of cycling with my spine parallel to the road are over. Even as a kid I couldn't keep up with my mates so my pedelec is a total freedom to me.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Let's face it. We're not roadies, nor would we want to be. They can keep their Lycra, 7-ounce £14,000 racing bikes and the pain ointment that goes with it. I'm climbing hills on my ebike that I would have to walk otherwise; and anything over £50 is a proper bike.
Totally me and I got my bike to take me fishing and camping where I could only dream of in a car or on a normal bike. I go fishing where no man fished before or it feels like it. I can spend a few days there charge up and be off and nobody knows I was there. Its great

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I can spend a few days there charge up and be off and nobody knows I was there. Its great
That has me conjuring up images of you sat there on the spot pedalling like mad to recharge the battery

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
had similar comments on my commute - their problem not mine as far as I am concerned - like the "yup" response though, gonna use that next time

Also had the opposite happen :)

Overtook a chap on a 20" wheel bike with drop handlebars on my commute home, there was a bit of a headwind and I was head down myself, wasnt surprised to cruise past him - couple of miles later I came to a T junction, checked round before pulling out and the guy is a couple of feet behind in my slipstream. He said a cheery "thanks mate" and we went opposite ways

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
had similar comments on my commute - their problem not mine as far as I am concerned - like the "yup" response though, gonna use that next time

Also had the opposite happen :)

Overtook a chap on a 20" wheel bike with drop handlebars on my commute home, there was a bit of a headwind and I was head down myself, wasnt surprised to cruise past him - couple of miles later I came to a T junction, checked round before pulling out and the guy is a couple of feet behind in my slipstream. He said a cheery "thanks mate" and we went opposite ways
Actually I get this quite a bit as my commute is along the south coast , very strong winds quite often. There are a few fellow commuters (but serious roadies) I’ve got vaguely acquainted with over the years. They normally are delighted to see me on those days !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Artstu

Mark McDonald

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Don't even bother responding, dont even bother looking. People say stuff to me all the time, I don't even acknowledge them unless they wave at me, then its the usual...how far can you go, how much does that cost.

Not sure what response he was after to be honest, he wasn't joking that is for sure!/QUOTE]