First e-bike, largely commuting but want reasonable all rounder

Parthur

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2019
Hello..

It's been a fun few weeks researching ebikes and making the decision that I definitely want one. I'd be grateful for some advice to see whether I'm on the right track, and whether there is any options I should consider that I might have missed.

Main reason for buying - I'm about to start a new job that's only a few miles away, just out of walking distance but a real slow traffic filled slog in the car that can be completely missed out with a bike. It's in Sheffield, so hilly by nature, so on the days when motivation would be low I'm hoping the battery assitance will keep me out of the car.

About me - mid-thirties, 80kg, 5'7 - would be fitter if not for two young kids. Used to cycle a LOT when younger, lived in the North York Moors and had a cheap mountain bike that would get me all over Teesside without any stress or real maintenance. Whilst commuting is the main use, I want a bike that is versatile enough to try and relive a few of the days out I had when younger, albeit in the Peaks and not the moors these days. I might also want to take one of the kids out in a seat attached to the back.

Preferences - I like the classic mountain bike/hybrid bike style with a crossbar and a straight handlebar. From what I'm reading I think a crank-driven Bosch, probably just the ActiveLine Plus would be fine, considering my budget and relatively light workload. It seems the tradeoff between lower noise/handling more like a classic bike when not used might be better than the CX line considering I might not need the extra power and torque for 90% of trips.

Budget - Aiming for under or around £2k

Options considering so far
- Haibike sDuro Trekking 1.0 (I love the styling of Haibikes, although mainly the expensive, pointless for my uses ones!), Cube Touring Hybrid One 500, maybe the Raleigh Grand Tour (but not keen on handlebars)

Am I missing anything obvious? Anyone else previously in a similar position, what options did you take? Are my assumptions sound? Thanks.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Seems to be the latest cx version for under 2k?
and with the 625 battery. I like the way focus have integrated the batteries to give the bikes a non e look. I’m going to go to onbike in worcester within the next few weeks and try out their different bikes before purchasing.

Backpeddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
Just make sure you get one with the 2020 full size front ring motor.

I don't think lifting an ebike onto a car roof is a realistic proposition for one person.
Getting a bike carrier that will have recommended weight capacity to carry an e-bike could be an issue. With the weight of bikes fitted with the likes of the bosch system the standard 3 bike carrier isn't recommended by the manufacturers as it exceeds their limit. The best I have seen was 20kg for a single bike. This means that expensive and larger tow bar mounted racks are the only option I can see for the majority of e bikes. Not all tow bar mounted options are up to it either.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
I have a Thule 925 already. It’s rated to carry 2 ebikes. Roof carrier rated to 20kg so would have to weigh the bike without a battery.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Seems to be the latest cx version for under 2k?
Lots of confusion on that bike. it has the 2019 CX motor on the photo and has a 500 wh battery

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lots of different spec Cubes about.

Just make sure you get one with the 2020 full size front ring motor.

I don't think lifting an ebike onto a car roof is a realistic proposition for one person.