First e-Bike (Somewhat overawed and confused...!) - Help / Guidance appreciated

andrewc

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
Hi Folks

I'm new here (so please be gentle with me :) ) and I'm in the market for my first electric bike. I would welcome some help and suggestions to guide me through the maze of options and offerings that are out there please.

I'm in my late fifties, and am not as fit as I once was. After many years of abuse on the rugby field my body paid the price, and I sit here now having had 5 back operations over the last 25 years. I have foot drop in my left leg, and nerve damage has also weakened that leg too. However, I'm smart enough to realise that even an assisted form of exercise is better than none, hence this search. (I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 13.5 stones)

I've rented e-bikes whilst on holiday in France, and have massively enjoyed the ability to roam the countryside in such an effortless manner. So I'm looking to get some input please on which machines I should consider.

I want something that's easy to get on and off because of the injuries I carry, so I guess I should swallow my pride and go for a step through model. I'm also looking for something that has considerable range - or alternatively, a model that has a removable battery such that I can carry a spare to get the same result. It also needs to be comfortable and able to take panniers etc. if I want to carry stuff. If there's an option to upgrade the max speed that would also be a bonus on longer rides, although I realise this could be a grey area!

I see that Cube bikes seem to be well liked on this forum - would the Cube Touring Hybrid SL 500 2020 model be a smart move? Or maybe the Volt Infinity Shimano Steps??

My budget is up to £3K ish.

Many thanks, Andrew

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello Andrew and welcome to the forums.
I've just gone down the route of choosing an e-bike, due to be delivered next week.
I went for a Cube Acid Allroad as it will allow me to ride on Tarmac and off road too it is a little cheaper than the one you mentioned but that was my budget.
I'm 76 YO now but reasonably fit weighing in at 14stone on a 6ft frame..

First go visit your local e-bike shop and chat away to the people there in, if anything like mine they'll have a range to suit you.
1/ I chose Cube as it's German built and German motored a good combination after all Mercedes FI have proved their reliability and ability to top the leadership table on a regular basis.
2/ Test ride as many as you can they all have a different feel to them, then test ride again.
3/ Looks are important as you've got to want to be seen on it so choose something that looks smart and sharp.
4/ they have a range of frame shapes and sizes to suit from conventional Cross bar, Trapeze and Step through The Trapeze is the style I've gone for as that is between a crossbar and the step through. I was a bit worried I'd look a little Mary Poppins on a step through frame. ;) The more mature riders on here did advise me to consider step through as age will play a part in mounting and dis-mounting. Test ride again.

Good luck with your choice.
Regards

OH AND TEST RIDE AGAIN.

andrewc

May 24, 2020
Many thanks!

I'm leaning towards the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 Easy Entry. I don't really care if it makes me look like Mary Poppins if it's comfortable and easy to ride!!

The next challenge is finding one - not easy.

Cheers

• Agree
Reactions: Markxc40

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks are important as you've got to want to be seen on it so choose something that looks smart and sharp.
Enjoy the new bike.

I do want to be seen (so I am not run over); but having a smart and sharp bike doesn't help there.

• Agree

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
3/ Looks are important as you've got to want to be seen on it so choose something that looks smart and sharp.
When it comes to leaving it parked up somewhere, looking rather understated, might have its attractions?
What really have you to gain from others being very attracted to your bike, your really the only one who needs to know how great a bit of kit it actually is, well IMO.

• Agree

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
im not sure if you can increase the speed on the 2020 bosch motors, someone else would have abetter idea, may e worth checking if dongle compatible

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Alyrpal

May 22, 2020
Its mind boggling isnt it? All these bikes, different drive systems, different styles, different manufacturers?

I winged it, it took me about 3 days to decide on the bike I wanted and buy it. Thats partially because I am a touring cyclist and I knew I wanted a strong step through touring type bike with 28 inch wheels capable of carrying me and at least 16kg of touring kit.
I had been put off front wheel motors by a pal who had converted one of his bikes unsuccessfully. Rear wheel motors dont seem a good idea either to me as an an engineer... punctures! The Bosch bottom bracket mounted drive has apparently been around a long time and I am a fan of the Bosch Company, so Bosch for me.
I was a CTC member and on their forum I noted someone had hired an ebike in Austria and loved it. Hire companies need strong, reliable, trouble free kit. The bike he hired was an Ortler. So, a well specced Ortler for me with decent componentry.
I wanted the most powerful drive system with a big battery. That narrowed things to a Bosch Performance drive with a 500Whr battery.
My budget was £1500 and thats what I paid in their last midsummer sale
I bought this bike, https://m.bikester.co.uk/ortler-bozen-performance-trapeze-women-black-matt-1113173.html its beautifully built, a pleasure to ride, strong and so far practically trouble free. I lost a crank bolt and had to bleed the front hydraulic brake once.

I hope my descision process enables you to devise your own.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Each to their own, front or rear hubs work amazingly well and are pretty bullet proof for reliability. Tubed punctures are an issue if you go down the correct route, whether using a more puncture resistant tyre or using an easy to replace tube that doesn't require a wheel to be removed.

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi Folks

I'm new here (so please be gentle with me :) ) and I'm in the market for my first electric bike. I would welcome some help and suggestions to guide me through the maze of options and offerings that are out there please.

I'm in my late fifties, and am not as fit as I once was. After many years of abuse on the rugby field my body paid the price, and I sit here now having had 5 back operations over the last 25 years. I have foot drop in my left leg, and nerve damage has also weakened that leg too. However, I'm smart enough to realise that even an assisted form of exercise is better than none, hence this search. (I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 13.5 stones)

I've rented e-bikes whilst on holiday in France, and have massively enjoyed the ability to roam the countryside in such an effortless manner. So I'm looking to get some input please on which machines I should consider.

I want something that's easy to get on and off because of the injuries I carry, so I guess I should swallow my pride and go for a step through model. I'm also looking for something that has considerable range - or alternatively, a model that has a removable battery such that I can carry a spare to get the same result. It also needs to be comfortable and able to take panniers etc. if I want to carry stuff. If there's an option to upgrade the max speed that would also be a bonus on longer rides, although I realise this could be a grey area!

I see that Cube bikes seem to be well liked on this forum - would the Cube Touring Hybrid SL 500 2020 model be a smart move? Or maybe the Volt Infinity Shimano Steps??

My budget is up to £3K ish.

Many thanks, Andrew
Hi Andrew
I've spent over 3 years considering, researching, test riding and generally procrastinating about buying an ebike. I finally decided in March this year

I ride 95% on tarmac, trips to shops etc.
I had decided on my preferred specifications.
1. Upright riding position
2. Crank motor
3. Hub gears
I narrowed it down to three bikes.
2020 Raleigh Motus Grand Tour
2019 Cube Town hybrid SL 500
2020 Volt Infinity

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi Andrew
I've spent over 3 years considering, researching, test riding and generally procrastinating about buying an ebike. I finally decided in March this year

2. Crank motor
3. Hub gears
2020 Volt Infinity
In the end I have just ordered the Cube based on
Availability, it will arrive next week
Price, I saved almost £900
Aftercare, local store with experienced team
Whatever you choose enjoy.

andrewc

May 24, 2020
Many thanks to all for the extremely helpful and insightful comments.

I've taken the plunge and put down a deposit on the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 Easy Entry. The supplying dealer can only tell me that he is scheduled to receive the bike "in June or July" so it could be 1 week or 8 weeks before I actually receive it, which is frustrating - especially with all of the nice weather that's due.

In different circumstances I would have taken the opportunity of test riding different bikes, but that's a luxury that seems to be challenging at this time. Also, bikes are in incredibly high demand at the moment so I was lucky to find availability of the bike I wanted with the spec I wanted. Dealers are telling me that Cube stocks are all allocated for the year.

I'll share my opinions when the bike arrives!

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
Hi Andrew

2. Crank motor
3. Hub gears
2020 Volt Infinity
...pretty much the same as me! I was going to get the Motus (mainly because I decided I would prefer the Bosch motor), but by the time I had made my mind up I couldn't find any "medium" step Motus bikes with hub gears. However I found a dealer that was advertising a Raleigh Centros GT at virtually the same price as the Motus so I got that instead. Only a couple of weeks and 100 miles into ownership but happy so far, (reported on earlier thread).
I guess most bikes around that price all have similar spec machines so probably not a lot to choose between them in reality? Like you I really wanted some test rides but that was not going to happen anytime soon, and I did not want to "miss" all this good weather. Luckily when I ordered my bike it was instock and it arrived within a few days so I have now been riding every other day give or take...

Anyhow, enjoy your bike when it arrives, and hopefully the weather will stay good for you a little longer!

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello Andrew, enjoy your good choice when it arrives.
I was speaking with a Cube supplier yesterday who was saying that because of the ebike demands everywhere has sold out so the factory is back in production and intend to send to market by end of June beginning of July.

Best

Albert12

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
I'm leaning towards the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 Easy Entry. I don't really care if it makes me look like Mary Poppins if it's comfortable and easy to ride!!

• Agree

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well said Albert, if I had realised that more of us older gents were using the step through that would have set me up for getting the step through version for myself. What I did do was to try the trapeze version out and find I could manage that quite comfortably.
The trapeze frame is a mid way frame from the traditional cross-bar [men's bike frame] and the step through [women's bike frame].
I certainly have had a lot of advice re the ease of mounting the step through frame once our aged legs start to stiffen up etc.

Well done.