First ebike: Cube Touring Hybrid One/Hybrid or Reaction Hybrid One or something else?

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
My use is the other end of the scale. I have an ALP with. 400Wh battery and get around 18 mile range on my typical usage. I use the bike on Turbo pretty much all the time, half the time my 4yr old is sitting on the back, and our 4.5 mile school run is all hill, over 700 feet of climb. Average speed is around 13mph.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I own a touring bike to go touring. Off road mostly. To explore hills I wouldn't otherwise enjoy going up or which would risk maxing my heart rate, to potter 70km down rivers, canals and cycle paths on a long hot day without worrying about getting overheated and blowing up, to have that freedom to follow the birdsong wherever it goes. I don't need or even want to go faster than say 10mph, unless I'm late for tea!
Right on bro!
Ebikes have many different modes of use. I love to hear about the way a full susser ebike with a powerful motor can climb and if I was in my 20s or 30s I would be out there doing it. I do think many of us use ebikes as a means of just getting out and enjoying the countryside. For me one of the best things about an ebike is that somehow it allows you to relax more and take in the wonders that are around you.

Reactions: Amoto65

phil m

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2015
Really interesting thread. Given me lots to think about.
Hope it's ok to resurrect it for some advice.
I'm looking to replace my 2015 Raleigh Motus with one of the 2021/2022 Cube hybrid style bikes.
After running out of battery a few times on my Motus, a quiet and resistance free Bosch motor sounds very appealing. I'm seeing specs referring to Gen 3 or Gen 4 or 65 or 85 nm. Any advice appreciated on which motor I should look for to go with a 625 battery.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Really interesting thread. Given me lots to think about.
Hope it's ok to resurrect it for some advice.
I'm looking to replace my 2015 Raleigh Motus with one of the 2021/2022 Cube hybrid style bikes.
After running out of battery a few times on my Motus, a quiet and resistance free Bosch motor sounds very appealing. I'm seeing specs referring to Gen 3 or Gen 4 or 65 or 85 nm. Any advice appreciated on which motor I should look for to go with a 625 battery.
Good luck.
I have been searching for a Cube Kathmandu 500 Gen 4 85Nm motor bike for a long time. I need the 85Nm motor because my left leg is nothing more than an ornament since an industrial accident and a 500 battery would be fine for me as my daily body limit would never be more than 35 miles max.
I have researched this bike in detail and it is the one I want to replace my troublesome Shimano Steps Volt Infinity.
None are to be had that I know of and I missed one in Bolton near where we used to live. I really should have been more lively and driven over and brought it back.
None of the dealers here are hopeful before mid 2022 and most of them are already on pre-order. I am just hopeful that one may be left due to a cancellation.
I am on a mailing list on the Mainland with several dealers.
I say again - Good Luck.

phil m

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2015
Thanks for the heads up re availability. Or lack of it.
I guess I need to decide on a model and get my name on some waiting lists.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Good luck.
I have been searching for a Cube Kathmandu 500 Gen 4 85Nm motor bike for a long time. I need the 85Nm motor because my left leg is nothing more than an ornament since an industrial accident and a 500 battery would be fine for me as my daily body limit would never be more than 35 miles max.
I have researched this bike in detail and it is the one I want to replace my troublesome Shimano Steps Volt Infinity.
None are to be had that I know of and I missed one in Bolton near where we used to live. I really should have been more lively and driven over and brought it back.
None of the dealers here are hopeful before mid 2022 and most of them are already on pre-order. I am just hopeful that one may be left due to a cancellation.
I am on a mailing list on the Mainland with several dealers.
I say again - Good Luck.
Medium in stock at Tredz https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Kathmandu-Hybrid-One-500-2022-Electric-Hybrid-Bike_242726.htm

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for the heads up re availability. Or lack of it.
I guess I need to decide on a model and get my name on some waiting lists.
Hi Phil, I'm riding my third e-bike since I originally bought one in 2018. My first bike was a Cube Hybrid Pro 400. After having a bad crash off road I realised it was the wrong bike for me. The forks had some ridiculous amount of travel like 63 mm and the frame couldn't accommodate a wider tyre than 2.1 as I recall. It was a very solid bike but the motor failed after 1500 miles and was replaced under warranty which is when I sold it. Just to be clear I ride mainly off road as I live within 300 metres of the trans Pennine trail. Even when I commute on my bike its on cycle paths, tow paths etc. My second bike was a hard tail EMTB with a Shimano E7000 motor, Voodoo Bizango 2020 model. I now had wider tyres and proper front suspension and the main game changer for me was the dropper post. The dropper post made it much safer when riding off road, if I was tackling a decent I could easily dab a foot down and keep control. However the Shimano Steps E7000 is a feeble motor and I struggled with steep ascents due to the poor performance and the high gearing of the bike. In January this year I bought myself a proper EMTB with full suspension, 160mm travel front and rear, 625Wh power tube battery, Bosch Gen 4 motor and love it.

You only get to be 60 years old once, so I spoiled myself this year. Just done 1,200 miles on my Orbea Wild FS H25. I have upgraded the wheels to DT Swiss as the Shimano hubs have unsealed bearings. I have crashed it in the Peak District but not badly and again was saved by the dropper post.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Yes I knew about that thank you. I am on their mailing list.
I am 6' 3" so large would be necessary.:rolleyes:
Sorry should have said that.
I'm 6'3" as well. If I were you I'd opt for XL rather than Large.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I'm 6'3" as well. If I were you I'd opt for XL rather than Large.
Yes interesting point.
Pre-ordering may work for some but in my case with my difficult left leg, actually trying out a bike for sitting and support when stationery would probably be necessary.
I really would like to stay local so Phillip McCallen would have been the first choice but even with his might in the two wheeled industry he was unable to locate one of any size :(

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Yes interesting point.
Pre-ordering may work for some but in my case with my difficult left leg, actually trying out a bike for sitting and support when stationery would probably be necessary.
I really would like to stay local so Phillip McCallen would have been the first choice but even with his might in the two wheeled industry he was unable to locate one of any size :(
Stabilizers ? :D

I've got a duff right leg, vascular issues, hence me getting the ebike in the first place. Not had any problems when stopped, pretty much do the same thing as my non ebikes, just drop down off the saddle and stand, though usually propped on one leg,other draped around the saddle.
See you dont normally sit on the bike stationary, so when trying it in a shop, its a bit unnatural.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I've got a duff right leg, vascular issues, hence me getting the ebike in the first place. Not had any problems when stopped, pretty much do the same thing as my non ebikes, just drop down off the saddle and stand, though usually propped on one leg,other draped around the saddle.
See you dont normally sit on the bike stationary, so when trying it in a shop, its a bit unnatural.
Riding bicycles since 1959 – moved on to Superbikes – disabled in 1993 (Industrial accident) owned ebikes since 1994 and now about to replace my current one.

Disabilities (and I am not prepared to discuss all of mine here) come in all shapes and sizes, just like bikes and I think that in 62 years I have got the hang of this two wheeled lark.

Many thanks anyhow for your valuable information and advice……..