First frost

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Ok gone for the winter tyres from winstanley, hoping they will arrive tomorrow so I can bed them in before it gets too icy!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just got my ebike up and running again over lunch for the first time since June so really happy about that!

James

Reactions: D C

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
When u get them, the studs are needed to bed in the tyre. Running it lower pressure like 40-50 psi for 10 miles plus before putting high pressure.

I still havent lost any stud from my winter tyre

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
When u get them, the studs are needed to bed in the tyre. Running it lower pressure like 40-50 psi for 10 miles plus before putting high pressure.

I still havent lost any stud from my winter tyre
hmm funny Charlie the bikemonger seems to think "Please note that before snow and ice use that these tyres have a bed in time of 40KM at maximum PSI. This will ensure a longer life span and optimum performance."

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/schwalbe-snow-stud-tyre-cw-spikes---700-x-38--622-2195-p.asp

Where do we get the definitive info?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Mine is Mtb tyre maybe it is different from 700c. Running at low speed is critical.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ok gone for the winter tyres from winstanley,
You cannot do a lot more, but no tyre will give you grip on black ice.

A patch of black ice is hard to spot, so there's really no easy answer.

If you do take another tumble, don't feel too bad about it.

You cannot beat the laws of physics - falling on black ice doesn't make you a rubbish cyclist.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
You cannot do a lot more, but no tyre will give you grip on black ice.

A patch of black ice is hard to spot, so there's really no easy answer.

If you do take another tumble, don't feel too bad about it.

You cannot beat the laws of physics - falling on black ice doesn't make you a rubbish cyclist.
I can promise the Schwalbe ice spikers though over the top for every day use, will definitely not slip on black ice, the problem of course comes when you stop and have to put a foot down.:D
Dave.

Reactions: RobF

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
hmm funny Charlie the bikemonger seems to think "Please note that before snow and ice use that these tyres have a bed in time of 40KM at maximum PSI. This will ensure a longer life span and optimum performance."

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/schwalbe-snow-stud-tyre-cw-spikes---700-x-38--622-2195-p.asp

Where do we get the definitive info?
I ran mine in on tarmac for I think if memory serves me right about 50 miles or so with slightly higher pressure than normal and I haven't lost any studs yet.
I would just treat them gently for a while, Try not to lock the wheels under braking, even after running in as you can rip the studs out even after they have bedded in. Hard acceleration is perhaps best to be avoided at first though that sadly was quite easy for me.
Be prepared for a sound akin to running over cornflakes, great fun:)
Dave.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Got around to fitting my Schawlbes today pumped to 70psi, the ride was far better than my skinny continentals. Soaked up the shock and vibes superbley and the grip felt great, overall didn't notice any speed reduction.
Also managed to true both wheels up ( been playing in the garage and made up a wooden trueing stand) before fitting new tyres as they were both out a bit. Front had a 6 - 8mm buckle from a fall in late summer and now is within about a mil. Rear wasn't to bad but did wander from side to side a few mil in the stand and is now quite reasonable. Good practice for when I get a rear hub motor.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Me too Neal!

Fitted mine on Saturday last week and took them out for a 13mile test ride on Sunday. Pumped up to 70psi.
Also redid all cables on the bike and fitted new brake blocks. Bike is now in best condition it has been in since Jan I suspect!
Definitely more resistance than the 80-82 psi I run my marathon plus tyres at.
Cycled home to 20miles from work last night and whilst there was no wind either fore or aft, the increased resistance was noticeable. Struggled to maintain 15mph where as previously I would maintain 15mph with ease!.

Agree with the sound description "like running over crisps" - love it!.

What I don't love about these tyres is the cornering... They just don't seem to feel right when turning, so I am taking corners slower now and more circumspectly than I was with the marathons even with no ice on the road since last Monday. There just doesn't seem to feel that grip when turning the corner and the bike feels like it's about to spin out all the time. I suspect this is due to lots of the corner grip coming from the metal spikes which pushes the rubber away from the road reducing the rubber/road surface area and therefore feel of grippiness. I also suspect that as I get used to this, Ice will not be as noticeable when it comes as the spikes will deal with it and the surface area change will not make too much difference.

I do love the "extra" suspension I get from running with softer tyres - my wrists hurt less, but that is not worth the extra effort required to pedal the bike and the reduced motor range!

I'm wondering when my solid Aluminium front forks will break/start to fail and how much warning I will have!!:) - Only then can I really consider changing the forks!

Close to 40miles so far since the swap I think, role on the ice and snow!

James

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It may be worth experimenting with slightly lower tyre pressure, high pressure doesn't always equate to lower rolling resistance with the more aggressive tread tyres.
I kept letting out a couple of pounds at a time till I went too soft then back up a couple of pounds to what works for me, 33 front 40 back, which of course may be different for you.
If it's not freezing then studs have less grip than normal tyres on tarmac also be a bit careful on wooden surfaces, (bridges etc) as you are quite correct in finding that the studs keep the rubber off the road surface somewhat.
Dave.

Reactions: JamesW

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've found the oposite to you James, I have found no decrease in speed and am able to still run at 18- 23mph. Also find them more reassuring then the continentals now the weather is changing esp when cornering, they certainly agree with my bike. Once they are run in I will try differing psi's.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Just lost 2 spikes this morning. Was doing 15 and the car 3m ahead suddenly braked forcing a emergency stop and the back wheel to spin out slightly. Spikes came out of front tyre.
Grip was good on the frosty road though.
Can I replace the spikes or do I need to wait until I've worn out and replaced the tyre? (45miles run in at max pressure on tarmac so was expecting them to be fully bedded in by now!)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My guess is that once bedded in they are still suseptable to damage under certain conditions on some road surfaces. In the whole of things 2 studs/spikes missing should have little affect in their performance when needed.

rusky

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2014
Hove, East Sussex
Just lost 2 spikes this morning. Was doing 15 and the car 3m ahead suddenly braked forcing a emergency stop and the back wheel to spin out slightly. Spikes came out of front tyre.
Grip was good on the frosty road though.
Can I replace the spikes or do I need to wait until I've worn out and replaced the tyre? (45miles run in at max pressure on tarmac so was expecting them to be fully bedded in by now!)
You can get replacement studs. Schwalbe UK sent me a handful & I got a pack of Nokian footwear studs http://www.jmcaleer.com/index.php?p=product&id=641&parent=63

Fitting is easy, wet the stud/tyre & use a pair of fine nose pliers to get them in.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Thanks rusky,

I found them not long after I posted yesterday and ordered them from
www.bike-discount.de
with a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost - the whole lot is being delivered for £58.31 (including tax)