First Post, eMTB, Woosh Zephyr-B 2017

Paul Grey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
So I took the plunge I bought myself a Pedelec. Having been a Hybrid Rider for some years, I got all Lazy and haven't been on a bike for 5 years. A couple of reasons being time and also an Injury. I finally got my Ankle operation and I am on the mend. However I am now huge at 18st 8lb, so getting back on the bike was gonna be a task for sure.

I live in Wales and we have some naughty hills near me and really loathed taking my bike and putting it in the back of the car. I would much rather take it straight out the house straight onto my ride. Now I was always a big fan of big long rides, the longer the better 3hrs is ideal. So I thought, why not get an electric to get back on the horse so to speak.

I did look at a good few bikes but set my heart on the Zephyr, it ticked a good few boxes.

Value for Money
Folder
Cheap replacement battery
Hidden battery in the frame

And to be honest it didn't look half bad either, so the bike is just over a grand and comes wth an 11.6AH battery.. ok its not a huge battery but good enough for me.

I placed my order with Hatti in Woosh and also a spare battery.. jobs a good un. Very helpful lady and did say the spare was £295 inc delivery, ok so not to bad.. and I accepted the price, within minutes she came back and said actually she could do it for £249! now the sale was already made and thought this was extremely honest and generous .. 10 out of 10 so far.

I finally got the back, simple to put together and the pull out battery is slick with no hassle.

I took it out for my first ride. Now I knew that the hills around me are a little harsh and some gradient are over 20%. so I kept it in the highest assistance at all times and hammered the hills.

so my first impression is the assistance felt like somebody was pushing my back seat while I peddled, awesome feeling. It really quickly gets from zero to 15.5mph in to time. Now again I am one big fella but also was loaded with a backpack and a bike trunk with Panniers if needed. So I've gone fully loaded, we must be talking 22st + in total.

Now I did struggle on a few hills and had to get off for a breather, so I was a little like... Hmmm is this hows its supposed to be? Now I am a realist and realised there are many factors to getting me up that Hill ..

1. My Weight
2. Fitness
3. Gear selection
4. Assistance selection
5. Bike Weight and all my long hall trimmings.
6. Cadence
7. Motor power

So will all this mind I kind of accepted the fact that I am not gonna managing every hill until I sort out the most important points, 1 and 2.

So I've done some goole map and starva checks and some of the hills I had to get off the bike where 20% plus.. I think my sweet spot was more like 10% before I struggled. Now thats not bad in real terms.

So overall I am very impressed with the bike, I do have an issue with my back disk.. but I am sure its only a tweak job but I did notice in a post ride photo the cable had come a little lose.. I am sure this is nothing a few cable ties won't sort. I spoke to Alan in Woosh today and he is ore than happy to walk me through fixing it.. I will have a crack myself first and then may give him bell.

The battery itself will last a minimum of 20 miles.. now thats based on me running it dry after smashing the highest level os assist and hitting the hills big time.

so overall I love the bike and its my new best mate.. below are some pictures of the bike and hills I had to get off on lol.

So you can see this bad boy rises 108 feet in just over 0.1Miles... ETA .. 2mins.. yeah right :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 20.49.19.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 20.49.47.png

View attachment 17494

And Finally the Bike.. minus me and my Camalbak with the spare Battery and goodies...

image1.JPG

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Yep, well done for getting back cycling.

I live in Neath, so understand the local terrain.

Good that you have made the step to getting back out and regaining your fitness, you will lose some weight with a bit more cycling time, and enjoy yourself at the same time.

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
Thanks for all the support guys.

So to confirm the hill below is probably a bridge to far for my Bike, weight, fitness and having to get off is acceptable?

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Good stuff paul
Keep going ,the weight v fitness v hills ,will happen in no time at all if you just keep it up
Each time you hit that hill where you ran out of steam aim to get 20 feet further than the last time

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
Thanks for the support.

BTW here is one of the offending hill in question

So to confirm that looking at this Hill, do we believe this is incompatible with my weight, fitness and Bike capabilities.. I.e I have to stop and get off.
You should get up that easy. Have you got the power turned up?
ahh now you have worried, so I have it on assist level 5 which is the maximum. When I hit the hill I try and build enough speed as I can. I select a low gear so I can peddle like mad and try and keep the cadence running.. and then after a little bit it all grinds to a halt. What am I doing wrong please? Like I said I am not the fittest bloke ever and I have a fair bit of timber to carry. However I can sustain a good bit of power for a short while.

If you firmly believe this should still be possible on a very steep hill then I need to start being concerned about the bike itself?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Paul,

You did very well indeed. That hill is a nasty one, 106ft/528ft = 20.5% average. Sections of it may be lower, other sections may be steeper.
My way to attack a steep hill is to select gear 1, yank up the throttle to full throttle to build up speed and hit the hill while pedaling as fast as you can. The throttle is more efficient at climbing.
Your Zephyr2017 is fitted with the Bafang SWX02 motor, capable of climbing hills up to around 14% gradient, 15%-16% with hard pedaling.
Anything steeper, the motor may stall, so you will have to get off and push.
Previously, the Zephyr-B was fitted with Bafang BPM motor which could climb a little better, may be 15% and up to 17% with hard pedaling.
Most hub motors can't even climb 14% gradient.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they can just not them tiny things you use ;)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
22st total weight on 20% hill is pretty hard core.
Give him a couple of weeks, he'll conquer that hill.

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
Hello Paul,

You did very well indeed. That hill is a nasty one, 106ft/528ft = 20.5% average. Sections of it may be lower, other sections may be steeper.
Simplest way toattack steep hills is select gear 1, yank up the throttle to full throttle to build up speed and hit the hil while pedaling as fast as you can.
Your Zephyr2017 is fitted with the Bafang SWX02 motor, capable of climbing hills up to around 14% gradient, 15%-16% with hard pedaling.
Anything steeper, the motor may stall, so you will have to get off and push.
Previously, the Zephyr-B was fitted with Bafang BPM motor which could climb a little better, may be 15% and up to 17% with hard pedaling.
Thanks for the reply and that would make sense as I can cope with 10% inclines for quite some distance until the lack of fitnes shows. I am sure a far small persons could squeeze 15% easy. But you know what.. I am kind of glad that it's not some crazy powered bike as I am really trying to lose weight while having fun. So if I struggle now and again and my heart rate goes a bit crazy then happy days.
I am really looking to lose about two stone by around October as I am getting married. If I keep smashing it then I see no reason why I can't do this.

At the end of the day the bike is so much fun and it gets me out of the house. The price was a bargain tbh.. allot of bang for buck for sure. As time goes on I am sure I will pimp my ride.

Like anything else as I get more into to Pedelecs I am sure I will be able to sneak an upgrade past the soon to be wife

I know the guys at Woosh will take care of me should I need help so it's all gravy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
These voltage and current results were obtained using a 325 pound motorcycle with a 170 pound rider on a flat road with little to no headwind your results will vary depending on rider weight, and conditions. EnerTrac does not guarantee voltage and current specifications, but provide them as a guide to help the customer chose the correct battery for their build.
MHM602:
At 72 volts and 45 MPH < 50 amps
At 96 volts and 60 MPH < 95 amps

Power output: Air cooled 10KW continuous @ 25c ambient temperature

With the Liquid cooled option 20KW continuous

Protection: thermally protected with kelly controller

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sure, Paul, we'll look after you.
Happy days.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hill-climbing and weight are completely related. It takes twice as much power to haul 22 stone up a hill as it does 11 stone, or, an 11 stone rider can go up a hill twice as steep.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Great inspiring posts Paul. It is a great way to get regular exercise and get out in the fresh air and it will not be long before you start to notice the benefit.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
At the end of the day the bike is so much fun and it gets me out of the house. The price was a bargain tbh.. allot of bang for buck for sure. As time goes on I am sure I will pimp my ride.
That is what we are all here for.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Paul,
E bikes are great fun, used as fun exercise and going places that you would normally use a car or other transport for should see some weight come off in time.
Although lighter then you I'm 80/84kg I use the bikes to also stay healthier, on one ride last last year I weighed myself before and after for a ride 80 odd miles. From my home to the South coast for a jaunt I lost 3lbs on one ride so if you add in a bit of a disciplinary diet/healthy diet not to severe to start with weight should start to come off. Build up the miles gradually and don't go at them hills to hard, as the fitness level rises then you will also feel the extra benefit and they will turn in to slopes.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
@Wooshbikes Just out of interest, does the Zephyr-B use the same final drive gearing as on the Karoo that I tested?

I realise that the wheel size is smaller on the Zephyr, but I am wondering if a lower ratio cassette would help with things.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Karoo: 45T, Zephyr-B: 44T at the front.
Rear: both have the same DNP 8-speed LY-3008 cassette 13T-32T

Related Articles

Advertisers