First proper rideout

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
I installed a Cyclotricicty front wheel kit with a 11Ah rack battery to my old steel framed Raleigh a few weeks ago, yesterday was the the first 'proper' run with a couple of friends, mostly county lanes and cycle track.
Previously I'd only covered 40 or 50 miles on short trips as a shakedown test.

I used the Bosch ebike map to plan the trip and was surprised how accurate the forecast was.
    • Predicted / Actual
    • Dist. 46 miles / 49 miles (Sat nav)
    • Time. 3hrs 39mins / 4 hour
    • Bat. used 70% / 80% (est)

I used the 'pedaling without sweating' level in my profile, although it seemed with my current level of fitness, I was working quite hard at times !. I was not expecting the battery to last the whole trip, I'm glad it did 'cause I was pretty knackered towards the end. I will admit that the last couple of hills were on throttle only, the 'range anxiety' having diminished. I will be using this facility to plan further trips.

A couple of observations and questions:-

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have fitted the kit to this bike, but it was laying around doing nothing. Compared to my other bike, the Ancheer MTB, it's not nearly as comfortable but probably has a much better range.

Fitting a kit and a rack battery changes the handling, feel and weight of the bike more than I expected.

Despite being a regular cyclist until last year (rheumatoid and advancing years have taken their toll), there's no way I could have kept up without the motor. In biking terms it's given me a new lease of life.

There are three green lights and one red light on the battery, I had one green light left at the end of the run. Battery voltage after resting was 36v, I know the state of charge compared to voltage is not linear, but would 20% remaining charge be a reasonable guesstimate?.

What happens when the battery charge is used up, does the power reduce gradually or does the bms or controller cut the power suddenly.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would say that your battery was pretty well empty. They bounce back after a bit of resting, so that 36v would have been closer to 33v. Also, they tend to accelerate downwards towards the end.