First ride of my new Kallkhoff Pro Connection Xion 24.

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
I got out this morning to see how the bike handled compared to an ordinary mountain bike. It took a while to get the hang of the electric assist, I rode on a countryside park where there was no traffic and not many pedestrians. Because I have to dismount of the seat due to the bike being slightly too big for me I set the assistance to stage one. This worked a treat, as I pushed forward on the pedal the bike assisted me to get going. I remained in that setting for the first mile or so, the ride included slight inclines and the bike needed very little input from me. I put it into the second mode and I rode in the top gear, once again very little effort from me was needed to get up to 16 MPH. I decided to try it on a steeper incline and rode up a bridge over the canal, hard to say how steep it was, but I had rode up the incline on my mountain bike an there was no way I would have been able to get up the incline in the 22nd gear! Once again very little input from me.

I decided to get off the tarmacced part of the country park and ride on the footpaths, which were no more than hard core tampered into the ground. The ride was firm bordering on hard, but once again the inclines were no trouble. I left the country park and ventured onto public roads because I felt I had got enough experience of the different speeds and assists of the bike and ventured down to Crosby Beach where there was a promenade, this was just for fun. Whilst riding the bike I had not exerted myself and felt comfortable.

Once at the beach all I had to worry about was the public, no cars allowed. The promenade was covered in parts by sand and this made it hard to remain stable and at times the wheels skidded. This is a picture of the surface:

IMG_0629[1].jpg

I only rode another few miles as I felt the sand may not be doing the gears any good. Here is a picture of Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" if anyone is interested.

IMG_0628[1].jpg

I had the wind in my face on the ride back home and if I'd have been on my mountain bike; I certainly would have felt it. Overall all I had rode for 45 minutes and had covered 8.7 miles. When I got home I put it on charge and blew the sand off the bike and wiped it over with a cloth The battery showed I had only used one bar. Overall I am pleased with the bike, but I will have to get used to it, and get mirrors as I did not like having to keep looking over my shoulder. I plan to get out on it every day and hope to build up my stamina to where I only use the first assistance.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Glad to hear you are enjoying your 'new' bike. That's a whole lot of bike for £1700....absolute bargain.

I remember how impressive that hub motor is, completely silent and yet delivers an energetic response from the lightest of pedal pressure.

Have fun making friends with your new steed....its a cracker!! ;)

Stay safe
Bob