First time e-bike chooser needing some guidance.

AJI

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2020
The Bosch motors are very good, as are some of the other proprietary brands. Be aware that they are locked in, any repairs will have to go back to the dealer, who will probably have to send them back to Germany. This can be very expensive if out of warranty, and slow as well. Also any extra/replacement batteries come very expensive for the capacity, even allowing for the high quality cells they use.
Interesting what you say about repairs. I nobbled a mobile e-bike mechanic working from a van in the street for his views. He strongly advised getting a Bosch motor as it is always possible to get spares, even for the smallest screw - and, he said, they are very reliable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Interesting what you say about repairs. I nobbled a mobile e-bike mechanic working from a van in the street for his views. He strongly advised getting a Bosch motor as it is always possible to get spares, even for the smallest screw - and, he said, they are very reliable.
bosch do not sell any internal parts for there motors not even the bearings you can get a service kit but thats about it.

dealers also can not open the motors as will void the warranty so if anything goes wrong it has to be sent back to bosch.

if you have no warranty then peter in the link above is your only option.

AJI

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2020
bosch do not sell any internal parts for there motors not even the bearings you can get a service kit but thats about it.

dealers also can not open the motors as will void the warranty so if anything goes wrong it has to be sent back to bosch.

if you have no warranty then peter in the link above is your only option.
Thank you very much indeed - that completely changes things as far as I'm concerned. Back to square 1.

AJI

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2020
Thank you very much indeed - that completely changes things as far as I'm concerned. Back to square 1.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have had my bosch bike for 5 years now and never had a motor problem.
DSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

still as good as new ;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting. General opinion here as you have seen is that they are very reliable (Andy-Mat is the exception to this view), but that spare parts are practically non-existent. I wonder where that mechanic got his ideas from. (Maybe he is a washing machine mechanic as well ... which wouldn't be as silly as it might sound).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting. General opinion here as you have seen is that they are very reliable (Andy-Mat is the exception to this view), but that spare parts are practically non-existent. I wonder where that mechanic got his ideas from. (Maybe he is a washing machine mechanic as well ... which wouldn't be as silly as it might sound).
Maybe if AJI gets a Bosch bike the engineer can repair it if need be in the future and then he can spin dry his clothes.

CMF70

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2020
I'm a bit late to this so you may have already got a bike. However I would definitely checkout Warpfive Cycles - British manufacturer who recently launched an eBike - see warpfivecycles.com Excellent value for a high spec bike that can be used for commuting or on trails.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm a bit late to this so you may have already got a bike. However I would definitely checkout Warpfive Cycles - British manufacturer who recently launched an eBike - see warpfivecycles.com Excellent value for a high spec bike that can be used for commuting or on trails.
Interested party in the company ?

Reactions: D C

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Really heavy, ugly looking imho and 350w motor so not legal in UK. Love the name though, beam me up Scotty.

• Agree
Reactions: Markxc40

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
It's a bit odd that a UK manufacturer is building a 350watt ebike stated to be useable both on and off road when the max motor allowed is 250watt.
Someone has not done their research fully there, but then I'm new to ebikes and maybe the spec/law has changed.

Best

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's a bit odd that a UK manufacturer is building a 350watt ebike stated to be useable both on and off road when the max motor allowed is 250watt.
Someone has not done their research fully there, but then I'm new to ebikes and maybe the spec/law has changed.Best
They even explicitly say on the same page: '350 Watt Tongsheng mid-motor ' and 'Complies to United Kingdom & European eBike specifications.'

Perhaps the customization was to scratch out the 350w marking and scratch in 250w.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Someone has not done their research fully there, but then I'm new to ebikes and maybe the spec/law has changed.

Best
No not changed still 250w.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any way they are a bit behind the times, Woosh have had that type of bike design out years ago.