Help! First timer conversion help

MisterMrMan

Just Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Hello there everybody,

I'm looking to build my first bike and I'd like to ask a few questions and generally go through my plan to make sure I'm not making any foolish first timer mistakes.

So, I'm not wanting to build anything crazy here, just something that'll assist with some steady inclines on the journey home after a mostly flat ride where I'll probably have the assist set to zero. The only thing is I want the build to look a discreet as possible... I'm not a fan of the black Hailong style downtube batteries. The bike I'm using is a Voodoo Limba, if that makes a difference.

I've settled upon a tsdz2 with one of those small batteries that looks like a water bottle. Just need some advice on which combination would be best. A 350w motor and a 48v 7ah battery or the 250w variant with a 36v 10.5ah? From what I've seen 48v in general are better but with such a small battery I don't know what differences they'll be. Again, I'm not looking for long range or speed here about a 6 mile / 30 min journey.

I'm also wanting to keep the brakes levers on the drop handle (maybe adding some extra crosstop levers in the future if possible). I know there's an option of brake sensors for hydraulic brakes that i think will work but I've also seen inline sensors for the Bafang kit that look a lot neater. Is there anything similar for the Tongsheng? Last thing, how easy is it to put a double chainwheel on? I've seen it done but having trouble with the derailleurs not shifting far enough to make a smooth transition.

I think that's everything, any guidance or pointers on alternative ways to go about this would be appreciated. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not much in it .
48v 7ah gives 336wh and the 36v slightly more 378wh.
Make your mind up regarding which voltage tsdz to buy as the 36v model will not work at 48v.
TSDZ doesn't need brake sensors unless a throttle is fitted, I have the non throttle version and have no need for one.

I use 44v with my 48v tsdz2 and use a 44v 8.4ah 370wh battery , it gets me 24 odd miles towing a trailer, sometimes I also use a 44v 6ah 264wh battery which easily manages 11 miles in eco mode. Though I have flashed mine with OSF firmware and upped the assist %'s a bit.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
2 x up front I have uses a sunrace cheap £12 - £15 front mech .
A triple mech should have the reach , you may need some 1mm spacing washers for the chain rings.

I used a104bcd tsdz2 spider and normal chain rings.
32t is as low as you can go.

MisterMrMan

Just Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Thanks for the help man, think I'm going to go for the 48v. I'm going to get the parts in and start having some fun. Cheers