Fitbit

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Its battery life is about the same as the Fitbit Charge 2, but when you put the GPS on, it goes down to 9 hours., which is not very practical.

My last watch had an infinite battery and the one before that had a battery life of 10 years. 5 days battery life without GPS is a bit of a pain, but 9 hours could be flattened on a good day out.

These smart watches have a way to go yet before they're really practical. Who wants to take their watch off and leave it charging for an hour? They need to find a way of quick-charging while it's on your wrist.
Oh agreed - as watches, they are pretty terrible and not at all practical.

No point in having a fitness band or Smart watch unless the other features are particularly useful.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
These smart watches have a way to go yet before they're really practical. Who wants to take their watch off and leave it charging for an hour? They need to find a way of quick-charging while it's on your wrist.
You just plug everything in before going to bed each night.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
You just plug everything in before going to bed each night.
Sure, but with a watch you don't!

You also have to make sure you have access to a charger, if travelling.

This side of smart watches is a bit of an annoyance. In fact, I was reading that the Smart Watch market itself was contracting... not sure if this is still the case, but wouldn't surprise me.

There's also the obsolescence factor. It amazes me when people spend several hundred pounds on a fancy smartwatch, where there's an inevitability that it will be obsolete in no time at all.

Using as a fitness tool though... yeah, this side does make sense.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The heart rate monitor seems to work pretty well while cycling. You can correlate the increase in rate to individual hills, so I doubt that it's doing much guessing/estimating.
Ah ... but you're guessing that its not guessing/estimating ;-)

These things use pulse oximetry or photoplethysmography techniques. If you've ever looked at the signal that you get from the receiving photodetector and seen all the noise/interference that you get, you'd be amazed that these devices work at all!
Significant filtering and digital signal processing has to be done to to extract the heartbeat from all this noise. They can do this when the SN ratio is reasonable (i.e. you're fairly stationary), but movement with all sorts of bumps and jars etc causes a significant amount of additional noise, lots of it semi repetitive (like a heartbeat!) so it becomes much, much more difficult for the devices to work out what's the relevant signal in all that jumble. Hence a lot of the time, they have to extrapolate, guess based on previous readings etc - depends on the algorithms.
But it is well known that these wrist worn devices are not particularly accurate when doing exercise (and I stress again - while doing exercise - they are fine for resting heartbeat)
In fact, I'm fairly sure there was (is?) a class action lawsuit going on in the US against fitbit because of this inaccuracy.
Bottom line - if you really want to know what your pulse is doing when exercising, you can't trust a wrist based sensor, and you have to rely on the chest strap type.
Which is unfortunate, because the wrist devices are so convenient, and many people (myself included!) really dislike wearing the chest straps!

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • :D
Reactions: StewC

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
You can't because you have to remove it to charge it, in which case it won't monitor your heart rate and sleep patterns.
I suppose you could rotate the time when you put it on charge. That way you'd have eventually have data for all times of the day. It would just be patchy.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
It charges very quickly... pop it on charge while you do your "morning ablutions"... you need to take it off while you shower anyway.... it keeps it topped up.

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
I got it at a bargain price too BNIB and a great pair of Samsung level active Bluetooth headphones also BNIB £105 the pair . I have seen so many on gumtree unused all at less than £100

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk