fitting telescopic forks

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I converted a Claud butler hybrid bike to an e-bike, which has a Q100 motor, fitted on steel forks 700mm
I want to fit some suspension forks I have acquired, to have more comfort and also disc brake on the front.
These forks are Kalkhoff 700mm aluminium for an electric bike, will they be ok.
Rob

D

Deleted member 4366

They'll be OK as long as your present bike has a 1 1/8" steerer. It looks like it does in the photo.

You might need to get a new stem if they're unthreaded. The photo doesn't show the top of the steerer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As they came off a e bike there's no reason why not , it just depends on how much work is needed (if any at all) for the Q100 to sit in nicely. So first job is take wheel off the Claud and put it in the new forks and have a look to see how well it sits in.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
The head tube on the bike is threaded, the tube on the new forks is unthreaded, but I have all the parts to make it an unthreaded headset.
Just wanted to be assured because the new forks are alloy.
Rob

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie
D

Deleted member 4366

You'll probably have to file the drop-outs a bit. I normally file them deeper too.

When you put the motor axle in the dropouts, you'll see that it's no longer central because it has a larger diameter plus, it's the wrong profile at the top. This means that the first washer doesn't sit properly in the dimple. If you tighten the nuts like that, the drop-outs can pop. It's very important that the washer doesn't touch the edge of the dimple. You can either centralise the axle or file the washers, or both.