Flashing rear lights

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I have a hiabike sduro trekking and wondered if the software could be upgraded to make the rear light flash, it would be a better option as the light is down on the mudguard out of the way.
I’ve looked at seatpost lights but my rear rack has a bag so will obscure a post light.
ive tried leaving my bag off but felt vulnerable not being able to carry my 2xpuncture repair kit, 2xspare tubes, 1xtyre, comprehensive tool kit, full change of clothes, kitchen sink etc etc etc. Lol

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Mount a light on the outside of the bag?
I’ve looked at that which would mean having some sort of strap system sewn into the bag, the draw back being, when putting in any clothing etc., would alter its shape thus the light direction.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have a hiabike sduro trekking and wondered if the software could be upgraded to make the rear light flash, it would be a better option as the light is down on the mudguard out of the way.
I’ve looked at seatpost lights but my rear rack has a bag so will obscure a post light.
ive tried leaving my bag off but felt vulnerable not being able to carry my 2xpuncture repair kit, 2xspare tubes, 1xtyre, comprehensive tool kit, full change of clothes, kitchen sink etc etc etc. Lol
Flashing rear lights which many have (here in Germany), but are totally illegal, as they do not conform.
May I suggest that have two rear lights, only one flashing, may "deflect" the police, but just guessing on that point!
Flashing rear lights on their own, might still attract police attention....
Panniers hold far more and do not obstruct lights on the saddle post.
Andy

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
As I understand it, flashing lights (front and rear) are fully legal in the UK, so long as they flash evenly.

Flashing lights draw attention but to not give a following driver much idea of distance, so an additional bright fixed light is a good idea.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
As I understand it, flashing lights (front and rear) are fully legal in the UK, so long as they flash evenly.

Flashing lights draw attention but to not give a following driver much idea of distance, so an additional bright fixed light is a good idea.
What exactly do you mean flash evenly? Mine has 2 flashing options.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wouldn't worry how it flashes as long as you have a light, I reckon I only see 1 or 2 out of 10 bikes with lights.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
With led bulbs and rechargeable batteries enabling many hours of use I'm happy to have lights on at all times even on off road tracks.
Dave.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Well I’ve accomplished the rear flashing light at the moment.
I've bought a new helmet as the old one was getting uncomfortable, this one came with a built in rear led that has different flash/on modes.
I’m still looking at brackets to see where I can mount my Cree red light.
I think I’ve wasted my money as yesterday I was pushed into the ditch by an overtaking lorry driver, if there wasn’t a hole in the hedge at the right place I think the corona virus worry would have been over me.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I wouldn't worry how it flashes as long as you have a light, I reckon I only see 1 or 2 out of 10 bikes with lights.
If you can’t see them how do you know how many you haven’t seen :p