Focus Jam ² - Nicest eMTB yet?

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Thanks for all the info. Could any tell me how easy it s to get the battery out the frame and maybe a picture with it out. Ta

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
You have to remove 4 screws to take off the plastic ‘bash’ guard, then drop the motor 4 bolts IIRC. You may get away with three & swinging the motor on the rearmost bolt. Unplug the battery, remove the two battery securing bolts on the down tube and the battery should slide out. Stock photo of the battery below.
I have lowered the motor to run a cable which was easy enough but not removed the battery.
If you are thinking of range extending I think the additional TEC battery is the best bet. For off bike charging you will need to look at a charger as the battery has a different connector to the charger.

DC324D1D-19AB-4534-B958-4FE8E5CE28B2.jpeg

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Thanks Ecky. I like to store my battery's inside in the warm rather than in the garage with the bike, at this time of year. I've just ordered a jam2 and was hoping it came out easy.

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
I don’t think it would take that long if you have a stand especially after you have done it a couple of times. I guess it comes down to how often you are going to ride.
Enjoy the new bike when it arrives

Reactions: tisme

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Mine arrived the a few weeks ago and I really like it. The + tyres work better than I though they would in mud, in fact I got my second fastest time around Bedgbury ( my local mtb park) my fastest being in the summer in the dry. With the second battery and it in Explorer mode I can do over 40miles off road. Only wish I had bought the pro as the recon forks and deore brakes are not up to much. Still that gives me some upgrades to do 20171126_151134.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: LeighPing

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I like the look of the bike and the silly name don't bother me, but I just don't like the idea you can't take the battery off without moving the motor out of the way, I never leave the battery on my bike when I park it up, I like to take it inside, and what about all the people out there that don't have any power where they keep there bike they can't charge it up unless they take it inside.
I'm sure they will miss out on some sales because of this point.

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
I like the look of the bike and the silly name don't bother me, but I just don't like the idea you can't take the battery off without moving the motor out of the way, I never leave the battery on my bike when I park it up, I like to take it inside, and what about all the people out there that don't have any power where they keep there bike they can't charge it up unless they take it inside.
I'm sure they will miss out on some sales because of this point.
I agree but it does give you a good excuse to the Mrs to bring the bike indoors LOL

• Agree

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
@Monoblock @Eckythump @tisme How are your bikes getting on? On the verge of getting a Bold2, thought I'd check in with actual owners of something similar :)
Had mine for just over a year now and all been good. I do need to refresh a couple of pivot bearings and it would be an idea to do the headset ones while I am at it. Still really enjoying the bike and don’t feel the need to upgrade or look at anything else.

Reactions: Martsky

Martsky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2017
Sheffield
Had mine for just over a year now and all been good. I do need to refresh a couple of pivot bearings and it would be an idea to do the headset ones while I am at it. Still really enjoying the bike and don’t feel the need to upgrade or look at anything else.
Cheers, good to know!

Monoblock

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
Had a bit more use of out mine, still no boke distances but some good local cross country trail runs, 15 mile and 18 mile jaunts.
The 15 mile I decided to prove a point and had the electric off until I went past my mates house, then engaged warp drive.
Went out on Wednesday, did use eco and trail on some steep hills but having only put an 80% charge in to it it came back with all battery lights on so I imagine I'll get quite a distance before even adding the unused TEC pack.

On downhill runs with the power off, just rolling its so much quicker than my fellow riders MTB, so the big tyres dont slow her too much when rolling downhill.

As for the bold, I guess price is price but with emtbs it seems as though they may as well be full sus as the peddeling loss and extra weight attibuted to rear shock bikes are no odds in this market, I also know when going pretty fast, i'm glad of that rear shock

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
As for the bold, I guess price is price but with emtbs it seems as though they may as well be full sus as the peddeling loss and extra weight attibuted to rear shock bikes are no odds in this market, I also know when going pretty fast, i'm glad of that rear shock
I have both FS and Hardtail CX drive bikes. On rough gravel tracks the FS is considerably more comfortable and faster. Where I'd be climbing at 15-17kmh on FS, on hardtail it would be more like 11-13kmh.
Even at this lower speed my body still taking pounding. A suspension seatpost like Suntour NCX would differently help, but still wouldn't allow me to match FS speed comfortably.

On unassisted bikes when climbing at 5-8kmh, the difference between HT and FS is not so dramatic.

• Informative

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
You have to remove 4 screws to take off the plastic ‘bash’ guard, then drop the motor 4 bolts IIRC. You may get away with three & swinging the motor on the rearmost bolt. Unplug the battery, remove the two battery securing bolts on the down tube and the battery should slide out. Stock photo of the battery below.
I have lowered the motor to run a cable which was easy enough but not removed the battery.
If you are thinking of range extending I think the additional TEC battery is the best bet. For off bike charging you will need to look at a charger as the battery has a different connector to the charger.

View attachment 22107
I realise this is an old thread but I am just about to remove the internal battery and this is very helpful. A couple of questions, do I need to remove the cranks to swing the motor down (I suspect I will need to to access the motor bolts properly) and I am interested to know what cable you were routing as I had thought of wiring in lights? I ask as the internal battery has started rattling a bit but that is the only issue - after 3500 miles.

Related Articles

Advertisers