Focus Jarifa 29R

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
After the price increase of the BH range I have had another look at what is available. Kalkhoff are always recommended as being very good. 50Cyles also sell the Focus Jarifa 29R Premium and it appears to be a good'un.
Anyone any info on these bikes?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
After the price increase of the BH range I have had another look at what is available. Kalkhoff are always recommended as being very good. 50Cyles also sell the Focus Jarifa 29R Premium and it appears to be a good'un.
Anyone any info on these bikes?
We saw them in Germany last Summer and they were handsome machines with some great features. Derby Cycle had a disappointing experience with a certain Canadian-manufacture hub drive with regenerative braking, so they've developed their own instead. Two Kalkhoff Pro Connect models and the Jarifas will come with drive technology in 2013. We've chosen the 15.5Ah battery options across the board. All the Jarifas come with a nifty colour TFT display, hill descent assist (where you can dial in a desired downhill speed and the motor will provide appropriate braking) and high-end hardtail spec. The Xion drive they use is super smooth, quiet and powerful. There are big claims for the range but we want to try them out ourselves first before mindlessly repeating those claims.

They look like this

Banner-Jarifa.jpg

We hope to have the first demonstrators in later this month or in March. Taken quite a few pre-orders for the Jarifa 29ers so far.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
"Takes the up hill out of down hill"

WTF ?

It's my fault... I read and try to understand the logic in things :p

But that advertising has me scratching my head (maybe I put my Worzel thick one on this morning)... Maybe it's something translated from foreign into English ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Try to think of it like this: what comes down probably went up first.

D

Deleted member 4366

"Takes the up hill out of down hill"

WTF ?

It's my fault... I read and try to understand the logic in things :p

But that advertising has me scratching my head (maybe I put my Worzel thick one on this morning)... Maybe it's something translated from foreign into English ?

It might mean that it adds uphill to the downhill because it adds resistance when you go downhill. It's looks like a nice bike, but I don't think you'll be breaking your record for max speed down your favourite hill. Good for those that are too scared to let go and go for it. Nice looking bike though.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Ahhhhhhh.... Thank you, now there's a light

For every down hill.... There's an up hill

To go wooshing down, one had to struggle up

So if we remove the up side.... It must all be down side then

Wonder how much they paid for that catchy little phrase, lol

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
It might mean that it adds uphill to the downhill because it adds resistance when you go downhill. It's looks like a nice bike, but I don't think you'll be breaking your record for max speed down your favourite hill. Good for those that are too scared to let go and go for it. Nice looking bike though.
so you can't put in 60mph and hang on by the skin of your teeth.......damn

Morrison

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2013
Did anyone purchase a focus jarifa and can comment on the ownership experience? Is there any nasty surprises like expensive parts, build quality issues etc? With the 500wh battery I think this is the bike for me, range must be excellent.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi we are launching a new range off 29ers If you look on our web site under testimonials you will se a customers Jamis bike we converted 500 watt motor can be set to 22MPH with 1,000 watt hour battery cost £1595 + bike Fitted

So Go pick the bike you like send to us to convert

Just finished the bike below for a customer

Specialized Carve Comp 2013 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

This is a good stater 29er

COYOTE KRONOS-29 GENTS 27 SPEED HYDRAULIC DISC HARDTAIL 29ER MOUNTAIN BIKE BLUE | eBay

There are other kits you can fit Depending on your budget I am sure can fit a 29er rim on his kit

eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits

Frank

Morrison

Jul 18, 2013
KTM with Panasonic hub drive also worth checking out. Battery size more than 400wh and it is very quick. Well worth a try. The BH Emotion bikes now come with a larger battery which is part of the reason for the price increase.

Pedelec member review here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/15192-ktm-erace-p-first-impression-review.html

Good luck with the search
Can't seem to get a ktm erace p small frame size anywhere and I checked the bh emotion website, the batteries appear to be the same 324WH ones.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Their website has not yet been updated, we will be stocking them soon and I know that the Cross definately has a larger battery about 12ah. I will have a look but I know alot of the KTM's have sold out in some sizes. They will be making 2014 models shortly which will be available later in the year.
Just checked eRace in smallest size is sold out. However the eRace 650 is available in smallest frame size.

David

Last edited:

Morrison

Jul 18, 2013
I've been reading on the German forums about the focus jarifa with the xion hub. Apparently a few owners are having issues with overheating and noises from the torque sensor (I think that's it), is this normal for hub motors? Some have even had their rear wheel replaced. I understand the xion hub is a new motor so hopefully these are just minor issues that can be easily rectified.

gryffe1974

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2014
Hi,

I've had the jarifa premium xt for a couple of months now and its a cracking bike, probably one of the nicest looking e bikes out there, i replaced the continental tyres with a set of schwalbe big apple and it has further improved the bike for road use. The only gripe i have is the motor drag when you reach 15.5mph i have searched for a way of de restricting but no joy yet if anyone has managed this i would like to hear about it.cheers.