Fold up e bikes

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I was recently on here asking for advice on cars etc to carry bikes inside, anyway changing the car has been ruled out now by her indoors. So we are thinking of a couple of fold up bikes, the bikes we have at the moment are Wisper 705 T, they are two years old exactly, and we have been very pleased with them, but they won’t fit in the car we have now. Before anyone says anything I am not interested in any form of outside bike rack. My only concern with a fold up is the strength of the frame, especially at be bendy bit and we’re the bike joins together, I’m not a lightweight, about 16 stone , She’s lighter, by about a stone and a half. Any suggestions on good strong fold up bikes, preferably with slightly larger wheels, ie not Brompton size. We would try and sell our Wispers, or may see if we can part ex them, there in as new unmarked condition.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those quick action clamp bolts have very many other uses. When you park your bike in a bike rack, you can turn the bars to make more room for others and get your bike in and out more easily when there are overlaps. When you lo k your bike to a tree or lampost, it makes more room for pedestrians. It makes a good anti-theft device, especially if you leave the clamps unlocked. A potential thief probably wouldn't be able to figure out why they can't steer, so they'd probably abandon it straight away. If you left the bars flat, they might assume that they need tools to straighten them to ride it. Every little helps.

I've seen a video of a thief trying to steel a bike off a rack from a car in London while the car was driving. He was following on a cheapo bike, and every time the car stopped at traffic lights he undid more of the clamps and straps. His planwas probably to abandon his bike and ride away on the valuable stolen one. With bars clamped flat, he would know that he couldn't ride it, so wouldn't have bothered.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The quick action screws on the step allow you to turn the bars into the same plane as the wheel.
what's wrong with using a Y-shape Hex key 4/5/6 mm?

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Could you please post a link to Quick action stem clamp bolts ? I can find seat fittings but not a fitting to replace the twin allen key bolts on my stem.
I couldn’t find any suitable for twin Allen bolts on our Wisper bikes at all. Leaving that option at present.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
what's wrong with using a Y-shape Hex key 4/5/6 mm?
Nothing I guess other than convenience ? I am forever changing my saddle height (for dull reasons ) so go with a quick release . I could use Allen keys but when you do something all the time then qr is faster and doesn't need tools

Having said that I also find I am super sensitive to how exactly central my stem is. Tiniest nano mm out of central and I feel it badly in my arms generally (well one of them) and steering on off road descents especially . So QR stem bolts as a concept gives me shivers !

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Schulz twist stem from Rose bikes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nothing I guess other than convenience ? I am forever changing my saddle height (for dull reasons ) so go with a quick release . I could use Allen keys but when you do something all the time then qr is faster and doesn't need tools

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yours does not look expensive.
SW will never buy it.

Reactions: MikelBikel