Folder on a motorcycle?

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
This would satisfy my 4 main requirements for European touring, ie, wide choice of destinations, cycling and hillwalking when I arrive plus the ability to visit the odd Country Inn or two without the fear of incurring the wrath of the law.

I have a few motorcycles, each equipped with ample luggage, but the pillion seat is always free (my wife only comes along when we take the car).

Is it feasible to strap a "Brompton" type e-bike into that kind of space? Weight is probably less important than size but I haven't ever seen a folder in the flesh, let alone an electric one.

I have had a look around the forum although I am away from home at the moment and using my phone to access the site, so browsing is a bit impractical. Neither can I give accurate details on the space available so probably just looking for some gut reaction comments :D

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Interesting question Oldie. I would say that you have no chance with anything other than a Brompton. Bromptons fold much smaller than anything else (with a few exceptions of even more expensive exotics). Electrified Bromptons are now easily available or you can build your own. The size of the folded bike is not effected but you also normally have bag and battery that would also need storing / transporting that can take up quite a bit of room. The size of this depends on conversion and battery choice.

You can easily check if the Brompton would fit by taking your motorbike along to a shop selling Bromptons (Evans are probably the biggest) and asking for a test ride. You should test ride one anyway before going any further because some people don't get on with the ride - I don't know why because they are an absolutely cracking ride in my opinion.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I have to agree with Jonah, as a motorbiker, a Brompton may just fit on the pillion seat of a big bike, no chance with any of the 20" wheel folders though. You will have to give consideration to the sharp bits of the Brompton tearing the seat and scratching the side pods too.

Growbag

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
Torbay, Devon
I'm fairly new to the forum and only just discovering electric bikes myself, but as a motorcyclist I think you would struggle with anything larger than a Brompton. If its just a short trip to the local pub from the campsite something from Beat Bikes or the Cyclamatic might be suitable (links below). Clearly a matter of measuring what space is available. I agree with Jonah it is worth test riding the bikes and visiting a dealer or supplier to see if the bikes will fit easily and safely.

Affordable folding electric bikes | Light-weight electric bike | Beat Bikes
Cyclamatic Foldaway Electric Bike - The Sports HQ

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I think the Beat bike maybe to long when folded, if you are interested I can measure the folded bike.
Mine is great fun but then I am only a bit over 5'8" and it is just tall enough to be a perfect pedaling height plus it folds in about 10 seconds.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This photo may help give some idea of the folded Brompton's size relative to someone. He's tall, but not extremely so. I was hunting for a photo I'd seen of Simon Calder holding his one handed in front of him but couldn't find it online, so this photo of a colleague of his had to do:

Last edited:

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Mmmm, all sounds promising.

I don't think that I've ever noticed any folding bikes in my local Evans so must pop down for a look. And, yes, I suppose that a test ride is a must, especially as I would be looking at doing 20/30 mile days when I arrive at my base.

Another advantage of a folder is free travel on the Dutch trains. I think that it's around 8 euro for a non-folder outwith the holiday months.

I checked out pictures of the Beat Bike but it looks more like a "city" solution, as opposed to a general purpose bike. Neat though.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
For 20-30 miles rides you would want the six speed Brompton, you would likely find the three speed too limited, it's better suited to the city.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
For 20-30 miles rides you would want the six speed Brompton, you would likely find the three speed too limited, it's better suited to the city.
I have to disagree if this is indeed an electrified Brompton that we're talking about. 3 speed (as mine is) is ample with electric assistance. I do 35 miles each and every working day :)

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I have to disagree if this is indeed an electrified Brompton that we're talking about. 3 speed (as mine is) is ample with electric assistance. I do 35 miles each and every working day :)
Out of interest....
How much of that is with battery assistance? At what level?
What battery do you have?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I also find the 3-speed hub gear perfectly adequate for touring. Top gear is high enough to pedal comfortably up to 20mph and lowest gear good for steep hills. I have done many trips up to 50 miles including big hills (with a 14Ah battery). On flattish ground no assistance is needed, as my bike only has a throttle I guess I use assistance about 25% of the time, more as the day goes on. But I always only use the throttle to make sure that I'm giving plenty of input myself to minimise the battery usage. I know that some report similar range from much smaller batteries. If I was starting from scratch I would go for a smaller battery and may be get more than one for when extended range was required.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Out of interest....
How much of that is with battery assistance? At what level?
What battery do you have?
That's 100% assistance all the way. My Brompton is a commuting machine rather than for pleasure or exercise.

I have a rather large 13.5Ah 16s6p Lifepo4 battery supplied by Cellman which gives me around 70 miles range. This is way more than I need but I have now done over 7500 miles over the last year with no loss in battery capacity whatsoever! There is a thread on this forum with my build if you're interested.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Just as a matter of interest i tried my dahon curve on the back of all four motorbikes last night

it happily goes on the cruisers (as you'd expect - but even ok on the GZ125 the misses rides.
it fits well on the MT-01, and bungeed well to the luggage with no sharp bits protruding into back.
it doesn't fit on the husqvarna as its too wide for the seat, but as its an enduro bike you don't really get a lot of space :)

one thing i would say though is be careful, if you had an off, there'd be lots of sharp, hard, unforgiving corners to break your back with if you landed on them.