Folder recommendations

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I’m after a budget folder. Must be able to cope with at least 14% gradient hills and must have disc brakes (certainly at the front). Would prefer torque sensor. Quite happy to put a fair amount of effort in myself. It’s for transport and I’m a busy person so want to get from a to b with moderate speed. I have a TSDZ2 powered mountain bike conversion that is great but it does not fold. The roads around here are rough and potholed but I’m not especially heavy. Because i don’t drive i want the flexibility of a bike i can stuff in friend’s boots or in a push put in a bag and take on a bus. I have a Tern but i don’t think it’s a good donor option due to frame problems. Would consider a steel Dahon but not sure about disc variants with steel frames. A hub folder isn’t my preferred option but as Ii have the mountain bike for longer rides it may be ok. Woosh Rambaletta with a torque sensor BB might work if Woosh sells such a thing?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Rambletta with a torque sensor BB might work if Woosh sells such a thing?
I have no plan to fit the bbts kit to the Rambletta at the moment.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would consider a steel Dahon but not sure about disc variants with steel frames.
I'm not sure either. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Dahon have ever made a steel framed folding bike with disc brakes.

It's interesting that this Dahon aluminium framed e-bike with a Tongsheng 200W motor and disc brakes, has a big hunk of metal welded to the frame behind the motor:

Is transferring your TSDZ2 to an aluminium framed Dahon Jetstream with disc brakes a possibility? Doesn't have that big hunk of metal however. They crop up on ebay every so often for about £500 secondhand. This is a new Jetstream custom built by the famous (to anyone trying to find Dahon parts) Dahon expert dudes at CH White - front disc brake only, but I've seen Jetstreams with dual disc brakes on ebay in the past.

Here's a Dahon Jetstream BBS02 conversion:

My 36V 250W BBS01B Dahon Helios P8 conversion conquers all hills, now new and improved with 18A. Was fine at 15A, but faster ascents with 18A. 52T chainwheel, fast enough on flat roads.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
The Jetstream certainly looks a fine bicycle. It's not clear if a TSDZ2 would fit but if it does, it would have to be orientated directly under the BB which leaves it vulnerable to knocks - not that I plan to bounce up and down curbs...also suspect that seat post could not be lowered with motor fitted?

Also, I think fitting a rack is difficult and a rack and panniers is also a must.

Bit of a shame as this really does look like a good bike.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I am guessing the Ramballeta should cope adequately with a 16% gradient and 100kg load (I'm under 80kg but let's include a few bottles of wine from the supermarket...).

One of my main routes, including to said supermarket, is a 2.8km hill that averages 7% and 16% at it's steepest. My guess is that 45nm in a small wheel will pull quite well and with moderate rider assistance this should be fine? I guess a lot depends on the motor windings and the optimal wheel size for said motor.

I'm not after great range with this bike, but it must get me up the hills. A supermarket round trip is only about 10 miles and lots of downhill outbound - hence disc brakes at front!

For reference, I can get >50 miles out of my 48v TSDZ2 bike with a 10ah battery including a few big hills.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
@Woosh I see only the rigid fort option on your shop, is the suspension fork no longer offered? I'm 5'10 and would ideally want a suspension fork I think.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The stem is extendable to accommodate your height. The Rambletta has a very good suspension seatpost and the riding position is the traditional sit up and beg of step through Dutch bikes so the front is much lighter compared to the average mens folding bikes. The fork does not add much to the overall comfort.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Ok, so it looks like the Rambaletta may be an option - it's not very aesthetically pleasing to me (subjective opinion I know) but I'm no looker either. Not had any issues with Woosh customer service, although not needed much help either.

I'm happy to do business with Woosh but anyone got any other suggestions at a similar price point? I know there are lots of Chinese brands who make acceptable bikes that can be repaired but don't have the same level of customer service. Not sure I've seen much that would be better than the Woosh offering and Woosh are transparent and I think can usually help with spares and advice.

I am ok with a kit, but finding a suitable donor with at least a front disc brake and a rack isn't proving that easy...

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
The Estarli looks reasonably well put together and I'm liking the orange paint option

Disc brake front and rear. Slightly lower torque motor but doubt that will have much impact. Smaller capacity battery looks the main negative but will still meet my needs. Looks like the battery is easy to steal in the seat tube?

On the aesthetics point, I'm only joking of course. In fact, having a flashy looking bike is a real disadvantage. My current ride is a completely naff looking and that's exactly how I like it, no self respecting bike thief would give it a second glance.

Of the two, I think I'd stick with the Rambaletta as it probably meets my needs better. Rim brake at the rear is main downer but my main ride has rim brakes front and rear and I have not died yet.

I get quite a lot of lower back pain sometimes, and occasionally hip pain. Also have a dodgy ankle...so the years are catching up with me. Having the option of a more upright bike is good for those days when my back is bad...☹

Still, many if the youngsters struggle to keep up with me when caving so I'm still battling on.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The battery is available in 10Ah and 12Ah. It has lock and keys. You don't need the key to ride the bike.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Possibly talking at cross purposes, I was talking about locking battery on the Estarli.

Back to the Rambletta, I understand it is not a KT controller, correct? I would prefer a KT controller with its great current controlling functionality. Also, how many amps will the controller handle? Finally, when I click on the buy button I get a picture and description of what I think was a previous model with front rim brake and 7 speed - am I missing something or is this just old info?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Jetstream certainly looks a fine bicycle. It's not clear if a TSDZ2 would fit but if it does, it would have to be orientated directly under the BB which leaves it vulnerable to knocks - not that I plan to bounce up and down curbs...also suspect that seat post could not be lowered with motor fitted?

Also, I think fitting a rack is difficult and a rack and panniers is also a must.

Bit of a shame as this really does look like a good bike.
You are probably right about that, but the seatpost can be removed. Also, Tern make a telescopic seatpost, which is compatible with some Dahons, but it probably isn't telescopic enough. My Helio's seatpost can be lowered because the BB is in front. Here's a pic of a Helios similar to mine, except CH White shiny unscratched custom built new:

Jetstreams don't have telescopic handleposts, unlike the Helios.

The motor isn't knocked being situated so low - I hopped the front wheel onto a pavement the other night. But there is more chance of your controller being subject to dirt blasting erosion by road materials. Here's a pic of my BBS01B controller after well over 4,000km. The motor itself is fine.

I've seen Jetstreams with pannier racks. Perhaps ring CH White and ask? You never know, they might have one in their vast warehouse of rare Dahon parts they jealously hoard, to use exclusively for their custom builds. Even they don't know what's in there.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The Estarli looks reasonably well put together and I'm liking the orange paint option

Disc brake front and rear. Slightly lower torque motor but doubt that will have much impact. Smaller capacity battery looks the main negative but will still meet my needs. Looks like the battery is easy to steal in the seat tube?

On the aesthetics point, I'm only joking of course. In fact, having a flashy looking bike is a real disadvantage. My current ride is a completely naff looking and that's exactly how I like it, no self respecting bike thief would give it a second glance.

Of the two, I think I'd stick with the Rambaletta as it probably meets my needs better. Rim brake at the rear is main downer but my main ride has rim brakes front and rear and I have not died yet.

The low step through looks very practical but would make me feel older than I am, pathetic vanity on my part. As it is I get quite a lot of lower back pain sometimes, and occasionally hip pain. Also have a dodgy ankle...so the years are catching up with me. Having the option of a more upright bike is good for those days when my back is bad...☹

Still, many if the youngsters struggle to keep up with me when caving so I'm still battling on.
Whatever one you get, you should try folding it and putting it in a bag if you want to take it on a bus. Its not as easy as you think it might be.

Generally, bikes with small batteries are going to be lighter and easier to carry, but very small batteries probably won't give the power you need.

Bikes with 16" wheels are generally lighter and go up hills better. They'd be alright with small batteries, so you win on two fronts as long as you don't need to go far.

The idea of getting a folding bike to use partly on public transport is fraught with problems. Many people get the idea to do it, but I've never heard anybody come back and say they're actually do it and they're happy.

Bikes like the MiRider are very good if you want to put an electric bike in the boot of a car and use it for a few miles to explore away from the car because you can't park near your destination or something like that, but without gears, steep hills might be challenging unless you're not heavy. DJ Audits uses one every day for that and he's very happy with it. Mirider has the desirable KT controller and a legal throttle too.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I get quite a lot of lower back pain sometimes, and occasionally hip pain. Also have a dodgy ankle...so the years are catching up with me. Having the option of a more upright bike is good for those days when my back is bad...☹
It might be possible to get the Jetstream handlebar stem swapped for one which angles backwards, for a more upright riding posture - I've seen those fitted to the Helios and other Dahons, which normally have forward angled handlebar stems like mine. You'd have to ring and ask those Dahon expert dude guys, to find out for sure.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
when I click on the buy button I get a picture and description of what I think was a previous model with front rim brake and 7 speed - am I missing something or is this just old info?
you are correct, it was old info. The first series of Rambletta had 7 -speed and V-brakes.
They were revised in 2022. I apologise. I have now amended the online shop. Please talk with Andy when we get back to work after the bank holiday Monday. He deals with the livechat on the web page (icon at the bottom right corner of the screen).

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The idea of getting a folding bike to use partly on public transport is fraught with problems. Many people get the idea to do it, but I've never heard anybody come back and say they're actually do it and they're happy.
My bike is allowed on buses sans bag, but I'm never happy on a bus. Because it's a bus.

Haven't tried this new bag I bought yet. The idea was to make it easier to carry my folding bike into shops which don't have shopping trolleys to chuck my bike into. Trouble is, I'll look like thes t*ts:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
The Tern I have is relatively quick to fold and shove in a Dahon bag. Obviously it's lighter than an ebike. In reality it will rarely go on a bus. I'm currently leaning towards the Rambletta. I really don't want to spend too much and it looks the best option for my price point. I’m not going to be in a position for a test ride so will just have to take the plunge. I’m after function over form, maintainability over cheapest price and something that does not stand out to thieves.

Hopefully it’s relatively water resistant, the UK being rainy and all. I’ll do my best to avoid prolonged periods in rain but that’s not always easy. I’m sure the motor itself will be more water resistant than my TSDZ2 which does have a tendency to take a bit of water onboard in the winter.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
My bike is allowed on buses sans bag, but I'm never happy on a bus. Because it's a bus.

Haven't tried this new bag I bought yet. The idea was to make it easier to carry my folding bike into shops which don't have shopping trolleys to chuck my bike into. Trouble is, I'll look like thes t*ts:

Looks just like a big handbag to me, nobody will bat an eyelid.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks just like a big handbag to me, nobody will bat an eyelid.
Which Dahon bag do you have? I was and remain somewhat tempted by this Dahon rucksack. Unsure how long it'll last lugging around my 22.4kg bike with battery. With the handbag style El Bolso bag pictured above, at least I can carry the battery separately in my rucksack, along with helmet and other stuff... but I could get a compact folding holdall for all that.